::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
was she your only kitty Jan? You know you did the right thing.

Have I told you peeps about Mama kitty? I'm sure I have. Anyway, she's 18 and the last pet from my folks place. She was feral and lived on their property. In 2000 she had a litter of kittens. When the kittens were old enough my dad trapped her and the kittens. The kittens got adopted and dad had her fixed and released her back at his house. Mom and dad fed her but she lived outside and remained partially wild. Every once in a while if the back door was open and the dog was asleep with dad, she would come in and sleep on the ottoman while mom watched TV late at night. Fast forward to 2 years ago. Both my folks have passed away and we are selling their place...what do we do with Mama Kitty....

Well we found a retirement home where if you pay 5 grand she would live like a queen with other senior cats. I'm hesitant. She's lived her entire life outside, I'm afraid she'll hate it. But we agree she deserves to live out her days warm and well fed. It takes my sister 2 days to finally catch her. She has to go to the vet to have a check up before the home will take her. She gets a clean bill of health. Right before she is due to go to the home I tell my sister to bring her to my house. I set her up with food, water, and a cat box in my sons room. He is quiet and keeps his door shut. She spends 3 months hiding under the bed. She eats and poops just fine. My son tells me she comes out at night and sleeps with him. Pretty soon she is coming out to get pet. So then we leave the door open. We're sure she's going to hate the dogs. Eventually she comes out. She could care less about the dogs and other cats.

Within six months she is the queen of the house. I assume she will want to go outside. I sit on the steps with the door open. She comes out for a pet but wants nothing to do with outside.

2 years later she is still going strong. She lives on my bed and demands petting and her special goodies every morning and evening. The dogs and cats understand she is in command and respect her authority.

I am so glad I brought her home.

My favorite PoHo story in a long time....

As you may recall, this is a super busy week for us.

Mike, happy belated birthday!

Stephen, can't wait to hear about your date.

Damon, hope you enjoyed the uke picnic.

Susie, still sending PoHoMoJo.

Jan, still thinking of you and Ellie.

Soo, hope Chris is doing okay.

Everyone else, I miss you all!

Now I return you to your regularly scheduled program....

I'm trying to load her picture but UU doesn't like it's format. I'm going to send it to Jon. Please post it Jon.

Oh look. A cat.

Cat_zpswng9jpjx.png

Just keep feeling her. You know that you'll grow accustomed to this loss. In time the joy of her memory will overtake the pain of her loss. I can still raise a tear for cats we lost decades ago. Some are just big in our lives like that.

It's going to take awhile. She now has a bird watching over her (garden stake) and some hearts for Valentine's Day on her grave. Makes me feel a little better - like I can still do things for her in a way or still show my love for her. I know that sounds weird, but it helps right now.

Nope. Not yet - if ever. I need time to grieve for Ellie.

Kaya (my last dog before Belly) was perfect, incredibly smart, loving, great guard dog. I could take her anywhere, I could take her downtown without a leash and never worry about her running after something or doing something dumb. When she was young, I was single and she was my constant companion. I was crushed when she died, even though she was really old and just a shadow of her former self. She died in August, I got Belly in April. Some of it was a practicality, I needed a dog around to watch the chickens and the house, but most of it was, I wanted another dog around. Dogs are awesome. You won't be replacing Ellie, you will be sharing your life with someone special again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom