::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafe report:

Tonight; TV, knitting, Pohoing
Saturday morning; weekly jam session
Saturday afternoon; prep remaining VW parts for sale, and load truck
Sunday; drive to Syracuse to annual VW show and swap meet, and try to sell remaining parts.

The weather is predicted to be perfect, with no rain and temps in the mid-70s. It'll be a long day, but hopefully it'll be worthwhile. I really need to be done with these parts....

Off to dinner. Saying goodbye to the boss that's leaving the school.

I need to knit some. I enjoy it. Don't know why I don't do it more often.

I have a plan to knit hats for all of my students this year. I made headbands one year. Hm . . . Might need to do headbands again instead. Many of my kids have a zillion braids or weaves or such. Hats might not work as well. I think that's why I decided on headbands last time.

Ooo! I could do scarves instead. Then they could wrap those around their neck or head. Hats or headbands would be faster, but scarves would be more practical.

Double oooo! Cowls! Last time I made headbands, some of them wore them around their necks. In fact, I didn't make scarves because I was afraid someone would get it hung on playground equipment and choke themselves!

The kids were thrilled that I made those for them. I saw a parent at the end of school whose son is in 6th grade I think. She said he still has that thing and still talks about me.

OK, cowls, it is! They can still use them on their necks or heads.

Thanks for your help! I do my best thinking out loud (or in print)! :cool:

Time to get knitting!

Uhgg.

Im still at school!

Got on this purging kick. Why it had to be the Friday before school starts is beyond me. My classroom is still messy and I can't wipe down counters and desks because of my shoulder.

I think I'll ask some kids to volunteer for some scrubbing.

What is with autocorrect suddenly deciding that were always needs to be we're and its needs to be it's?
I know the correct usage of all four of those words,
unlike my "smart" phone.

I turn autocorrect off on every device I own.

(Jon's quotes don't seem to follow)

Yeah. I love that uke. When I grab a concert, that's the one I grab 9 times out of 10. Jorma comped me a ste of strings. Now I use Fremont Blacklines for it.

Oh! Imua is Jorma's company? That's cool!

That and the pride of being a part of that Ohana: Jake, Benny Chong, Herb Ohta Jr., Kalei, Andrew Molina, Britney Paiva, Brian Tolentino, Side Street Band.

I was thinking it would take a lot of money to lure Taimane away from Kamaka just because of the cachet of being a part of the family - but if Kamaka is dumping her that's a different story altogether.

I grew up in a house with one bathroom and seven people. Privacy in the bathroom wasn't possible.

Our master bathroom has what I call "the potty hut". The toilet is a teeny little room all by itself, so someone can be brushing teeth or doing other hygiene things and the sanctity of the throne is not violated.

Job report:
I really like it here.
I feel like a valued member of a great team.
This week a bunch of tier 1 (the people who take incoming trouble calls) were in training, so we senior folks had to be onsite and available to assist - we were told not to schedule any on-site visits for this week if possible.
For two brand new clients, the CEO and the VP each reached out to me directly and told me to go meet with them and evaluate their situation and make recommendations.
I replied that we were supposed to be on hand for coverage this week, and then I received email from my manager (who told us not to schedule any off-site stuff) telling me to set up the meetings and go.
So the "top brass" as it were are aware of me and specifically want me to be the first person they meet from our company, and trust me to form that relationship.
Feels good to be appreciated. This is after nearly 9 years of feeling like just a worker bee.

This is awesome!

I teared up this morning in front of our entire staff.

One of our new hires is a former student and during his introduction he thanked two of us for recognizing his potential and not letting him "wallow in mediocrity" (it's a mantra I preach to the kids). He credited us for him getting his GED and pursuing college when no one in his family had ever graduated high school. He's here to pay it forward. "I hope I live up to the standard you taught me Mr. Yoshida." (that's when my eyes leaked). It's a good day.

It's weird. You never know what will resonate with the kids but as teachers we really do have tremendous influence.

. . . and never underestimate the power of a chocolate chip cookie recipe in teaching a youngster about life :)

I think there may be an epidemic of leaky eyes today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom