::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until last week, I had no idea what hop vines looked like. I always wondered what they were when I saw them, but never knew.

Last week someone showed Elaine what they were, and she said, "Oh, that's what those are!".

I will try to remember to take a picture of the ones down the street when I'm on my way home.....

Lunchtime is about over.

No uke. No tuner. No ping pong table.

Just a McD's dining room full of school aged kids (school is officially out)....

Annie pleaded with us to let her grow mint in her little garden plot this year. NO WAY. We got her a little planter box for it up on the deck. Mint is fine if it's completely contained, but I do NOT want it getting loose in the garden!

Yeah, it took us hours to rip out an 8 foot X 3 foot planter. It's still in the neighbors adjoining planter. Next time I go to her house I'm taking some wide plastic edging I have a roll of to bury between the planters to hopefully slow it down from traveling back over into Kate's area.

For a second I was like, "Katie is your neighbor now? How cool is that!

Ha! I'd love that, but it's probably too close for Katie.

I've told her if her Dad died she and Luis would take our master bedroom and I'll move into one of the small ones. She thinks that's weird but I'd be totally fine with it.

For a second I was like, "Katie is your neighbor now? How cool is that!

She and Luis live in garden grove. It's Wendy's old apartment. It's absolutely darling, very old school. Has only 6 units all on the ground floor. Their apartment is just a one bedroom, they really need more space, or a storage facility. They do activities that seem to take a lot of equipment. He has two bicycles, one street, one off road, they snowboard and they camp. So an extra bedroom would be good. But they only pay $1100 in rent so that's a great deal here especially with two parking spaces.
They'd like to live closer to the beach, and both sets of parents. His folks are in Costa Mesa.

She and Luis live in garden grove. It's Wendy's old apartment. It's absolutely darling, very old school. Has only 6 units all on the ground floor. Their apartment is just a one bedroom, they really need more space, or a storage facility. They do activities that seem to take a lot of equipment. He has two bicycles, one street, one off road, they snowboard and they camp. So an extra bedroom would be good. But they only pay $1100 in rent so that's a great deal here especially with two parking spaces.
They'd like to live closer to the beach, and both sets of parents. His folks are in Costa Mesa.

Only $1100?! Good grief! That is a lot of money! I must really be out of the loop . . .

Until last week, I had no idea what hop vines looked like. I always wondered what they were when I saw them, but never knew.

Last week someone showed Elaine what they were, and she said, "Oh, that's what those are!".

I will try to remember to take a picture of the ones down the street when I'm on my way home.....

IMG_20170626_1707372_rewind.jpgIMG_20170626_1709044_rewind.jpg

I think these structures must be 12-14 feet tall. I knew all along that he was cultivating something, I just didn't know what. I knew it must be legal; the police station is next door....

Last edited:
View attachment 101182View attachment 101183

I think these structures must be 12-14 feet tall. I knew all along that he was cultivating something, I just didn't know what. I knew it must be legal; the police station is next door....

That's quite a setup! There are a bunch of hop farms in my area - the trellises are generally 12 - 20 feet tall.

Only $1100?! Good grief! That is a lot of money! I must really be out of the loop . . .

Southern California...
Now get this: I was living only a few traffic lights away from Sally - and we had a two-bedroom two bath apartment that was above two two-car garages for the house in front. We had use of one of the two-car garages and the swimming pool of the house (because we knew the tenants of the house - Nanilei's mom and sister) and it was only costing us $1250.
Yes, that was an AMAZING deal, especially only a mile from the beach.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1015-Delaware-St-Huntington-Beach-CA-92648/25114743_zpid/
We moved out in 2011, they moved out in 2012, and the owner remodeled it so it probably gets more $ now for rentals.
For reference, we now pay just under two grand for a three bedroom, two bath single-family house three miles from the beach.
In Hawaii though :D and our rent is actually pretty cheap for our area. I would say our house is about $450K to purchase, maybe a bit more.
The house we used to live in was on the market recently for $1.2M, it did not sell, but hey I look at like we actually moved to a more affordable neighborhood.
It's all in your perspective.
My number one goal this year and next is to eliminate remaining debt and get some $ for a down payment.
I have not used any plastic since 2014 (UWC was the last credit card purchase I made) and I am making progress!

Southern California...
Now get this: I was living only a few traffic lights away from Sally - and we had a two-bedroom two bath apartment that was above two two-car garages for the house in front. We had use of one of the two-car garages and the swimming pool of the house (because we knew the tenants of the house - Nanilei's mom and sister) and it was only costing us $1250.
Yes, that was an AMAZING deal, especially only a mile from the beach.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1015-Delaware-St-Huntington-Beach-CA-92648/25114743_zpid/
We moved out in 2011, they moved out in 2012, and the owner remodeled it so it probably gets more $ now for rentals.
For reference, we now pay just under two grand for a three bedroom, two bath single-family house three miles from the beach.
In Hawaii though :D and our rent is actually pretty cheap for our area. I would say our house is about $450K to purchase, maybe a bit more.
The house we used to live in was on the market recently for $1.2M, it did not sell, but hey I look at like we actually moved to a more affordable neighborhood.
It's all in your perspective.
My number one goal this year and next is to eliminate remaining debt and get some $ for a down payment.
I have not used any plastic since 2014 (UWC was the last credit card purchase I made) and I am making progress!

That little house for over $800,000?!?!? Here you could buy a LOT more house for that!

I want to eliminate debt, too, but it is going to take forever. But, I need to follow your lead and stop using plastic. It is so much easier to use it - but that is the problem!

That little house for over $800,000?!?!? Here you could buy a LOT more house for that!

I want to eliminate debt, too, but it is going to take forever. But, I need to follow your lead and stop using plastic. It is so much easier to use it - but that is the problem!

I've had people...mostly young adults...hand me a plastic card at NAPA to make a purchase of under a dollar. It may be credit, it may be debit, but the point is that using the plastic is their reality, and they think nothing of it.

I can see us heading toward a cashless society, and I'm not sure I like the idea....

I-69. You sure get around.

Trying to dodge the nightmare that is at the foot of Lake Michigan. Going down to Indy from Olivet, MI makes it an hour longer drive home. Since I split it into two days that wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I use my debit card more than I use cash, but recently I have been using cash more, as it is much easier to control spending.
You open your wallet, no cash in there, guess what? You can't afford it.
It really helps.

Here is what you could get in Charlotte, NC for about that price: 5 beds 6 baths 6,247 sqft

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...43,-80.363617,34.905079,-81.298829_rect/9_zm/

Yeah crazy. That link is the house we used to live in. That estimate was just that - it was on the market for $1.2M but did not sell.
The reason it would sell for that much is it is actually two lots. A developer will likely buy it, tear it down, and build two homes on that lot. Sell each home for over $1M. Make a tidy profit in the process.
The owner actually bought the house in 1977 for $42,000 I think, then added the apartment at the back for rental income. The owner lives in a huge house on the water in Huntington Harbor and has a nice yacht parked in their slip. They own several income properties in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom