::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 22!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want one of these

attachment.php

When we visited our outback New South Wales friends in 1986 they grilled for us. The grill was an oil drum with a 1/4" steel plate on an acme screw. The fuel was windfall gum (eucalyptus) wood. Meat was beef, chicken, sausages, ribs, and pork chops, all local to the farm. He got the plate glowing hot. Cooled it with the garden hose, poured on oil which caught fire immediately and then placed the meat on the plate. Then he tended the fire and the meat with his bare hands. It was eye-opening. And delicious.

My Weber grill is propane. Absolutely love it.

My smoker was a Weber Smokey Joe barbecue you add a tamale pot with the bottom cut out of it, in the middle. My hubby built it. I loved it. Lasted about 5 years but the legs on the smokey Joe gave out. Let me find a pic or vid, it makes a great little smoker for cheap.

I remember when you made that - didn't realize it conked out. Did you make another one? It's awful to be without a smoker!

My Weber has a small propane tank to start the charcoal. I love cooking on coals; don't like propane grilling.

My Weber has a small propane tank to start the charcoal. I love cooking on coals; don't like propane grilling.

I liked the convenience of propane but like Jon said about this Akorn. Ten minutes tops and you could be at 1000*F if you wanted. I'm doing that for pizza soon.

That was also what convinced me to give the Akorn a chance. Propane never gets hot enough for what I want it to do. I still have a very nice Weber Propane grill. I also have a hibachi and a infrared "oil less" fryer that cooks through convection. That thing is a great little grill for fairly cheap.

I really wanted a pellet feed smoker or a Traeger but the more I researched it the more I saw that the biggest complaint is that it's difficult to regulate the temperature to smoke. Then Jon said he has no problem maintaining 200ish for 12 hours at a time so I started hitting the Kamado forums. Being able to regulate low temperatures for long amounts of time sold me.

Just watched the most amazing documentary about an older Korean couple on PBS.
It was called My Love, Don't Cross That River, it was on POV.
Keep tissues nearby.

Found a link on YouTube

Is something bad gonna happen in it? If so, I am NOT going to watch it! It's been a rough week . . .

I remember when you made that - didn't realize it conked out. Did you make another one? It's awful to be without a smoker!

The legs gave away. They are just aluminum and I think the screws holding them in rusted. Also the added weight probably didn't help. If we rebuild one I want to strengthen the legs this time.

When we tried to use the chunk charcoal in the smoker we had a terrible time with it. I finally switched to the regular formed kind.

Mike doesn't BBQ or smoke stuff, that's my job. But once I get it on the smoker he is happy to watch it and regulate the temp.

But this is why I'm curious about electric ones you don't have to regulate or watch. They are expensive thou.

When we tried to use the chunk charcoal in the smoker we had a terrible time with it. I finally switched to the regular formed kind.

Mike doesn't BBQ or smoke stuff, that's my job. But once I get it on the smoker he is happy to watch it and regulate the temp.

But this is why I'm curious about electric ones you don't have to regulate or watch. They are expensive thou.

I haven't used the electric ones - I had a propane one that is the cabinet style like lots of the electric ones - I had an AWFUL time regulating the temperature in it. Akorn FTW.

I might go looking at cats tomorrow . . . So many who need love and care. It's hard to choose.

Not considering those in foster care because they already get love and attention.

I got really sad driving to work this morning missing Ellie. I haven't done that in a long time. I guess it is because I am considering getting one (or maybe two). There are some that don't do well with other animals so I might get one of those.

I might go looking at cats tomorrow . . . So many who need love and care. It's hard to choose.

Not considering those in foster care because they already get love and attention.

I got really sad driving to work this morning missing Ellie. I haven't done that in a long time. I guess it is because I am considering getting one (or maybe two). There are some that don't do well with other animals so I might get one of those.

Car drives seem to be good for that sort of thing, driving along and BAM! some memory is there.

I have propane below lava rocks - that works great for me. I prefer Kiawe lump charcoal, but that is expensive and I don't like cleaning it up and waiting for it to be ready. I use the grill in the back yard like I use the stove, cook at least once or twice a week on it.

is Facebook still fun?

I primarily use it to keep in touch with the family and friends I still have on the mainland. And you lot.
Fortunately that's about it on FB for me - Hawaii musicians, family, and ukulele people. So very little politics and other BS that drags me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom