Flat intonation with new strings

Ramille

Reaction score
I have a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert that used to have Aquila Nylgut strings. Didn't care for the sound, but the intonation was very good. Switched to Living Waters. Love the sound, but now the intonation is very flat up the neck. Any suggestions?

I might be able to help troubleshoot, but need to know the following:

1. how are you checking the intonation? with a tuner?
  2. how many CENTS or bars/lines flat is it? is it consistently the same CENTS flat, or is it more or less so at different frets?
  3. is it the same CENTS flat across ALL strings on ALL frets? if not, which strings or further out than the others?
  4. also at what spots is the intonation flat? what fret numbers specifically?
  5. do you have friction pegs or geared tuning machines on your Mainland?
  6. can you share closeup pictures of the nut showing how the strings are sitting in the slots? and also of the saddle from the side to show where the string breaks across the top of the saddle?

I just went through a similar situation. my Pono AT always had great intonation but, after changing strings, the E string suddenly was sharp on every fret. replaced E string with a new string from a second set of the same strings, no difference. tried a set of Aquila Nylguts, no change. got a set of Mahana strings like the uke came with....presto, good intonation again.

I have a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert that used to have Aquila Nylgut strings. Didn't care for the sound, but the intonation was very good. Switched to Living Waters. Love the sound, but now the intonation is very flat up the neck. Any suggestions?

Let the strings settle in for a few days. It could be the neck adjusting to a different tension. I use Living Waters and have not experienced any intonation issues.

I put the strings on about 2 weeks ago and play daily. Today is the first day I really noticed it. It is very hot and humid outside (we're in Florida) but haven't taken the uke out of its case outdoors, just to travel to jam sessions.

1. Checked the octave at the 12th fret by ear.
2. 4. With a Snark tuner1st string goes 1 bar flat at 5th fret, 2bars flat at 8th; 2nd string goes 1 bar flat at 7th, 2 bars flat at the 12th; 3rd string goes 1bar flat at 12th; 4th string goes 1 bar flat at 9th, 2 bars flat at 10th.
3. With a Snark tuner at 12th fret: A is 2 bars flat; E is 2 bars flat; C is 1 bar flat: G is 2 bars flat.
5. I have geared tuners.
6. Will try to upload pics when I figure out how.
As regards the tuner, these are the readings on average. I can strike slightly harder or softer and go in either direction (sharp or flat) but this is the reading with my normal manner of striking. I have never used the tuner before (always tuned my classical guitar with an A440 and my ear).
Many thanks.

Yes, this is to be expected. Intonation needs to be adjusted for a particular type of string set. Changing strings will change the intonation. Its to do with string flexibility. The more flexible a string is, the less saddle compensation it needs. The less flexible a string is, the more saddle compensation it needs. The Living Water strings are obviously more flexible than the Aquila's.

If you want great intonation you need to stick with a brand of strings. Do you like the Living Waters or are you going to change them again?

Flat intonation is slightly better than sharp intonation. Its slightly less obvious and you can bend the pitch of some strings up a little.

The cure is to move the string contact points on the saddle forwards towards the frets but if you refit the Aquila's then the intonation will be sharp. Another saddle may be in order.

Anthony

Sometimes takes a few weeks for a new uke to become "acclimatized." I live in FL and I've had a slight buzz on a new uke disappear after a few weeks, sometimes a little longer. Just one possibility.

Yes, this is to be expected. Intonation needs to be adjusted for a particular type of string set. Changing strings will change the intonation. Its to do with string flexibility. The more flexible a string is, the less saddle compensation it needs. The less flexible a string is, the more saddle compensation it needs. The Living Water strings are obviously more flexible than the Aquila's.

If you want great intonation you need to stick with a brand of strings. Do you like the Living Waters or are you going to change them again?

Flat intonation is slightly better than sharp intonation. Its slightly less obvious and you can bend the pitch of some strings up a little.

The cure is to move the string contact points on the saddle forwards towards the frets but if you refit the Aquila's then the intonation will be sharp. Another saddle may be in order.

Anthony
That is pretty interesting, in that I thought that all those measurements were pretty standard.

I DO like the sound of the Living Waters. I will give it another week or two, and then see about replacing the saddle.

That is pretty interesting, in that I thought that all those measurements were pretty standard.

in general..i think the Aquillas are the thickest strings out there and the Living Waters the thinnest.....

There are significant similarities but also differences. If your being fussy then you need to adjust compensation for the type of strings in use.

I DO like the sound of the Living Waters. I will give it another week or two, and then see about replacing the saddle.

If you do intend to stick with the Living Water strings you could simply take to your current saddle with a file to adjust it or get someone to do it if your not comfortable doing this.

Anthony

Top Bottom