When putting chords and lyrics in the YouTube comments section.

Jazzbanjorex

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it.

I right song sheet with the chords above the lyrics thus
/C / /G /
Goodbye Joe we gotta go, me oh my oh.

But in the comments section of youtube it doesn't understand the spacing in my chord line so it makes it look thus
/C//G/

I fix with thus
________/C_________/________/G____/
Is there a better way?
Special font? I use courier new. Not that I see a way to change font in the comment section though.

There isn't a good way to do it. Sometimes I direct people to a UU page where maybe I enter it as CODE on the Links and Videos board. Or you could put a PDF in Dropbox or somewhere like that, and give the link.

Another way you could do it, though it can be hard to read is

[G]Goodbye [C]Joe we gotta go, me oh [G]my oh

i'm with jim there, even here on UU, i know you can get the spacings just how you want with codes and wotnot, but you can't beat the square bracket thing, for working anywhere and anyhow, you can cut and paste and print and all that stuff, without having to worry is the spacing still ok. it's kind of a pain in the wotsit to type a song up that way, but once it's done you can do anything with it

Ditto to the bracketed chord. Sites that put them above always come out spaced crazy when you copy them. I usually take the time to reformat them.

I always re-format to the bracketed style. It assures correct spacing, and saves vertical space so that most songs fit on one sheet of paper!

And I color the bracketed chords blue so that they pop on the page or screen.

I like this! Very easy to read

I always re-format to the bracketed style. It assures correct spacing, and saves vertical space so that most songs fit on one sheet of paper!

Rex, I have been trying to figure this out for a looooong time. Its the most frustrating thing if you don't use the brackets. I don't like having to reformat just for the write up description area.

In the last few weeks I pasted my song in the comment section and it came out exactly from a cut and copy. Here it is on one of my songs in the comment section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XcHgNy0Nro

I realize over time the comment section isn't the best place for it but at least for now that area works!

If you are using the CODE tag on UU then you should always change the font to courier new or any other fixed-width font. If you try it with a proportional font like Ariel even though it looks good inside the CODE once it is displayed it is out of whack.

COURIER NEW font inside CODE (chords line up properly)
Code:
[FONT=courier new]         C                      G
[COLOR=#333333]Goodbye Joe we gotta go, me oh my oh.[/COLOR][/FONT]

ARIEL font inside CODE (Chords are displaced)
Code:
[FONT=arial]        C                                                        G
[COLOR=#333333][FONT='inherit']Goodbye Joe we gotta go, me oh my oh.[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone. I like to put the slashes to indicate measures. I my preference. If I don't look at a song for some time I forget how long to hold the chord and for the group to see when doing a new song.

Maybe I could come up with some scheme for indicating measure in the bracket system.

I do the same but I usually use red rather than blue but the principle is the same. As most of the song sheets I create are for my personal use, I don't worry about adding slashes to indicate bar lines. I quite often find that the best place for the chord change is not always where I first put it or where the source I got it from puts it but I simply allow my ears to be the judge.

The format is called ChordPro and more info can be found here. From expereince, it's best to use a note pad with a fixed width font, much easier to edit and cut & paste.

Last edited:
The format is called ChordPro and more info can be found here. From expereince, it's best to use a note pad with a fixed width font, much easier to edit and cut & paste.

There are apps on both iPad and Android that will take ChordPro formatted files and display them with the chord symbols above the lyrics if that's your preference. I have a free app on my iPad called PGSongBook which is OK and one on Android called Chordinator. Both work fine and you can set your lyrics to scroll but I had problems getting the scroll speed right and gave up on them.

I am quite happy using the ChordPro style charts as is as they are more compact that the chords above format and most of my song charts will fit on a single A4 page so no need for scrolling or page turns in the vast majority of cases.

More on marking up text for chordpro applications

To add to Geoff's contribution to this thread, Tenbyten Software has a shareware program called 'Songsheet Generator' that also takes marked-up text files* and converts them into songsheets with the chords above the lyrics etc.

*what Geoff called "chordpro formatted" is nothing more than one of these marked-up text files: chords in [square brackets]; commands in {curly brackets}; hidden comments introduced by #poundsigns.

But here's the thing - if you look up a song on http://chordie.comhttp://chordie.com, click on the "eye" (view) icon and select 'chordpro', the marked up text file is displayed.

So, for comparison click on the link for chordie.com's version of "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and compare what you see there with the marked-up text (in code box below):
Code:
{t:Blue Moon Of Kentucky-crd}
{st:Bill Monroe}

#
#
#Subject: Song Submission, Blue Moon Of Kentucky
#
#Blue Moon Of Kentucky, by Mr. Bill Monroe
#
#Elvis and the rockabilly's do this in 4/4, most blugrass players prefer
[3/4]    1st verse
[A]Blue Moon, blue [D]moon
blue [A]moon keep shining[E] bright
Blue [A]moon keep on shining bright
You gonn[D]a bring me back my baby tonight
Blue [A]Moon keep shining[A] bright
2nd Verse
I said blue [A]moon of Kentucky keep on [D]shining
shine on[A] the one that's gone and left me[E] blue
I said blue[A] moon of Kentucky keep on [D]shining
Shine on[A] the one that's [E]gone and left me[A] blue
Bridge
Well it was [D]on one moonlight night
[A]Stars shining bright
[D]Whisper on high
[A]Love said g[E]oodbye
Blue [A]moon of Kentucky keep on [D]shining
Shine [A]on the one [E]that's gone and left me[A] blue
Repeat Second verse
Bridge

The guy who set up chordie has put together this fantastic program intended automatically to create chordpro marked-up text files from any songsheet you find in ultimate-guitar, cowpie.com, etc etc. Inevitably it doesn't always get it right, but what you can do, having clicked, copied and pasted is take that 1st draft from chordie.com and correct it:
Code:
{t:Blue Moon Of Kentucky}
{st:Bill Monroe}
#
#
#Subject: Song Submission, Blue Moon Of Kentucky
#
#Blue Moon Of Kentucky, by Mr. Bill Monroe
#
#Elvis and the rockabilly's do this in 4/4, most bluegrass players prefer 3/4  
{c:  1st verse}
[A]Blue Moon, blue [D]moon
Blue [A]moon keep shining [E]bright
Blue [A]moon keep on shining bright
You gon-[D]na bring me back my baby tonight
Blue [A]Moon keep shining [A]bright
{c: 2nd Verse}
In this edited version, I've corrected the spelling of bluegrass (from "blugrass") and taken the square brackets off the time signature, 3/4 and moved it (3/4) back into the hidden comments.
I've put curly brackets round the verse titles, so that they display as visible comments, rather than as lyrics '{c: comment }.
Finally, I edited the lyrics so that "[E] bright" and "[A] bright" became " [E]bright" and " [A]bright" and the [D] chord in "gonn[D]a moved to "gon-[D]na", 'cos I'm a pedant like that.

Save the edited text as a simple text file, run it through songsheet generator, and the result looks like this:
Code:
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
(Bill Monroe)

[I]1st verse[/I]
A               D 
Blue Moon, blue moon
     A                 E 
Blue moon keep shining bright
     A 
Blue moon keep on shining bright
        D 
You gon-na bring me back my baby tonight
     A                 A 
Blue Moon keep shining bright

[I]2nd Verse[/I]

How you get to keep that formatting in YT description is another question of course #thread_drift :)

Top Bottom