NUD - Pono MTD-SP

steel rider

Reaction score
It's a keeper! Of course I will have to play around with the strings.

It came with Ko'olau Alohi with wound 3rd and 4th. The 4th looks like a guitar D string to me, which I've never been a fan of. I prefer the polished or flourocarbon (if not too boomy), maybe because i do more strumming than fingerpicking. I will try either my PHD set or Fremont Blackline and Soloist on there this weekend.

The shop does not support the installation of a strap button and even said the warranty becomes void if you install one. I'd love to be able to play without a strap but I just don't have that skill - especially with a heavier Pono tenor that has the truss rod. I have a Uke Leash I'll try again before installing the strap button. I do like the way this one stands on it's own like my fluke. An old tie for a strap sounds like a cool idea too!

The fun continues!
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

I don't know why the pics turn 90 degrees. Oh well. The blotches are my phone, but you get the idea.

Congratulations. I want that same Ukulele. They didn't have it when I got my Opio Tenor last summer. Now........ can I swing another one in my house! <g> The sound sample Aaron does are with Southcoast medium strings and I thought video sounded great. It was with a low G and I'm a HIGH g type of player but you get the idea. When I switched from guitar to Ukulele , I went the sound hole strap route. I love it. It supports nicely. Its easy to get on and off. You don't have to modify your ukulele and its only $20.00 Freemont with the Hawaii Floral patterns is what I use! Try it you may like it.

Would love to hear a sound sample some time. My issue is too many Ukuleles so either I gotta get rid of my Pono AT to upgrade to MTD-SP or sell off my Opio. My custom isn't going anywhere.

Enjoy is a beautiful ukulele.

Also, forgot to mention...... I don't see how putting a strap button on it would void any sort of warranty. That being said, Pono's are bullet proof in my opinion. Enjoy the new Ukulele.

Congratulations! I an MGT (mango tenor) and once I found the "right" strings, I have a hard time putting it down.

Congratulations, fabulous instrument, love Pono period. Seeing as HMS will install buttons on Ponos and Andrews dad owns Pono that dealer was full of BS. If you have an Oasis set of strings they sound really good on a Pono spruce top. You can't get any better than Fremont soloist for a wound 4th low G either.

I actually have the baritone big brother MBD-SP of your tenor. Great instruments, enjoy the heck outta it. Play it to sawdust.

20160708_194653.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I have a Pono Mango Pineapple that's my go to low g tuned Uke bi guess I'm a Pono guy too.
So John K is Andrew's dad???
Yes I'll play with a few strap options but have a feeling I'll just go with the button.
Have to get used to standard tenor size again. It feels big!

Congrats on your new baby! Pono ukes are very popular here. (pssst....how are you liking the Cocobolo?)

Congrats on your new baby! Pono ukes are very popular here. (pssst....how are you liking the Cocobolo?)

Thanks. Pono is very great if you are OK with the thick neck. Never been an issue for me.
I love the Cocobolo. It's a diff scale neck and very warm sounding. That's why I wanted a standard scale tenor with a much brighter sounding wood.

Pono is very great if you are OK with the thick neck. Never been an issue for me.

I haven't noticed that the Pono's neck is especially thick, but I come from guitar and still find most uke necks rather slight. My Gretsch's neck is chunky, and I actually prefer that, but I'll keep the Pono. ;)

How does the neck compare to the Flea?

Thanks for the comments. I have a Pono Mango Pineapple that's my go to low g tuned Uke bi guess I'm a Pono guy too.
So John K is Andrew's dad???
Yes I'll play with a few strap options but have a feeling I'll just go with the button.
Have to get used to standard tenor size again. It feels big!

yes John is Andrew's Dad and he is the owner of Pono Ukulele...and Noa Bonk(Ko'olau Ukulele) is Andrew's brother.....they all work in the Ko'olau/Pono warehouse in Wahiawa...so makes sense to buy your Pono from Andrew....and you get the HMS setup included in the price....

How does the neck compare to the Flea?

I have the Fluke. I'm probably not the best person to ask since I have no issues with the size of the Pono necks at all. I've never picked up an ukulele and noticed the neck to be particularly thick or thin. I just notice the fret spacings. The spacings on the Fluke have always seemed larger to me. That may be a result of the molded fretboard.

I just ordered my MTD-SP from HMS. Very excited!
I’m filling my time waiting for it writing on this forum! I put Oasis warms, low G on it.

Congrats. I have the cedar top version of the MTD, and love it as another firths-tuned, alternate plucked Bratsche. ;)

I never found the Pono necks to be thick, either. I have a mandola that I love with a much thicker one. Personally, I can't imagine going a whoe lot thinner, so I'll stick with Pono for that.

bratsche

Top Bottom