Strings for dummies (or uninformed)

If you don't like them, they probably will not improve much. Take them off.

Actually, I contacted the company last week, and the one string (1st) that was really unpleasant to my ear has been replaced by the company. Apparently, I had an older string, (though I just bought it a few weeks ago), and they have changed the manufacturing process. I got the new string today, and there is a very noticeable difference.

So, I'll give them time to settle in, but turns out that the strings might be a good set after all, now that I have the replacement string.
And I have to say, that's good customer service.

Actually, I contacted the company last week, and the one string (1st) that was really unpleasant to my ear has been replaced by the company. Apparently, I had an older string, (though I just bought it a few weeks ago), and they have changed the manufacturing process. I got the new string today, and there is a very noticeable difference.

So, I'll give them time to settle in, but turns out that the strings might be a good set after all, now that I have the replacement string.
And I have to say, that's good customer service.

Hi, sorry if I didn't get it... what is the set you are talking about ?

Anyway I quote everyone about Aquila Red and Living Water.
Aquila Red are indeed a bit more delicate during settling but they sound amazing. They have a cleariness and richness and volume and tons of sustain that I haven't found in other strings.
Excellent for fingerpicking (Personally I find the best strings tried so far for fingerstyle), great for strumming (even if IMHO on tenor size they need to be strummed NOT gently to get a truly awesome sound... on other sizes you can be more gentle).

On mahogany I still prefear LW though... they are really great.

Last edited:
This is a good video comparing several sets of strings on the same model instrument.

One consideration in choosing strings is often neglected, and that's how they feel. Strings come in different tensions and different widths, and people develop preferences about how these factors affect the way the strings feel when the ukulele is being played.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark for finding this video...

I still like the Oasis warms, South Coast HML-RW,PHD's all with a Fremont Soloist LowG....
I just tried D'Addario Pro-Arte Carbon strings for the first time and I like them too.....will leave them on and see what happens....

Thanks Mark for finding this video...

I still like the Oasis warms, South Coast HML-RW,PHD's all with a Fremont Soloist LowG....
I just tried D'Addario Pro-Arte Carbon strings for the first time and I like them too.....will leave them on and see what happens....

You need to try the Thomastik Infeld flat wound basses with those Oasis strings. It's the best set
I've ever tried.

You need to try the Thomastik Infeld flat wound basses with those Oasis strings. It's the best set
I've ever tried.

Thanks, Chuck, for recommending those Thomastik Infeld strings! I finally got some of those flat wound bass strings and I'm looking forward to trying it on my Oasis-strung Moore Bettah.

Thanks, Chuck, for recommending those Thomastik Infeld strings! I finally got some of those flat wound bass strings and I'm looking forward to trying it on my Oasis-strung Moore Bettah.

nice to know they in stock now..i give them a try.....thanks guys..

Thanks for that video! The most important thing I learned from it is that the player matters a LOT more than which string set you've got on ;).
I also actually liked the low G sound here, at least the unwound strings with less boom. Might be an idea to try that, my last attempt with a wound aquila resulted in a wall hanger.

Like food strings are all about personal taste. Every so often I decide to try different strings on my two ukes but always go back to Living Water strings because I like the feel, tension and sound more than others I've tried. personal taste that's all.

I've ever tried.
Do I need to know specific gauges or something for these strings Chuck, I did a quick search and find lots of references to this brand but not ukulele specific. Or is there a particular source you can suggest, I saw Len's post saying they are "in stock" but didn't find them searching on HMS site either.

Thomastik Infeld CF-30 (G) and CF-27 (C) can be purchased as singles at Strings by Mail.

Do I need to know specific gauges or something for these strings Chuck, I did a quick search and find lots of references to this brand but not ukulele specific. Or is there a particular source you can suggest, I saw Len's post saying they are "in stock" but didn't find them searching on HMS site either.

Hi Phil...strings went out of stock at Strings by mail......not sure if Andrew has gotten a shipment from Thomastik Infeld

Hi Phil...strings went out of stock at Strings by mail......not sure if Andrew has gotten a shipment from Thomastik Infeld

I've ever tried.

Chuck, are the Thomastik flat wound basses you are talking about the ones made for bass guitar? With a price of about $70 per set? Or are you speaking of purchasing single strings? Do you have catalog numbers?

Thanks.

I believe Chuck is referring to the Classical CF128, not the set for the bass. The CF-30 is the 4th string (D) and the CF-27 is the 3rd string (g).

Ah, thanks Kanaka, I knew I was off in referencing a bass string set!! And thanks very much for the single string numbers.

Top Bottom