Choices, Choices . . .

I would settle playing a cheap Uke for a year ... if the Uke Fairy bestowed on me the skill of Kalei Gamaio.

Hands down.

What would happen at the end of that year? Would you be content to stay with that cheap uke, or would you want to upgrade to match your skill level?

Appears that Jake recently added a sweet looking ( and sounding ) Steve Grimes tenor to his uke collection. I'd love to hear him play that one.
Looks like redwood and rosewood.

attachment.php

Shimabukuro Grimes.jpg

Since I am lucky enough to have a great instrument, I choose to learn to play it really, really well. Now, do I click my heels three times, or what? How does it work, exactly? :cool:

Practice worked for the uke for you. ""Now, do I click my heels three times, or what?"" After watching my sisters growing up with high heels I would say more practice before attempting clicking three times in platforms. Jim.

Last edited:
In response to Inksplosive Al:

I'm not sure about the motorcycle to uke price equation Al. Having owned several of each, high end ukes are now up in the cycle $ range. But then again, my imagined nirvana is strumming a Moore Bettah on the seat of a Moto Guzzi!

Last edited:
Good sound always trumps good looks. Even the best looking instruments will get worn if you play them all the time but a mediocre sounding instrument will never magically become one that sounds amazing. A good sounding instrument will prompt you to play more and playing will be more enjoyable and then you will continue to get better and better.

Originally Posted by sam13
I would settle playing a cheap Uke for a year ... if the Uke Fairy bestowed on me the skill of Kalei Gamaio.

Hands down.
Or maybe the fretboard knowledge of Kimo Hussey, or those two young ladies from Hawaii.
Jim writes again to clarify the two young ladies. Honoka and Azita. My wife keeps telling me " people can't read my mind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQ3xg5LQwM

Jim writes again to clarify the two young ladies. Honoka and Azita. My wife keeps telling me " people can't read my mind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQ3xg5LQwM

Those were exactly the two I thought of when you had said "those two young ladies from Hawaii". :) I had showed one of their earlier videos to a friend, who showed it to her seven year old daughter -- who now wants to learn ukulele!

Their picking/strumming with their fingernails fascinates me. I have a long thumbnail, but I only use it once in a while. :eek:ld:

Their picking/strumming with their fingernails fascinates me. I have a long thumbnail, but I only use it once in a while. :eek:ld:

'Tis the speed they play at that really mesmerizes me. Besides the thumb I really like their rasguedo (spelllling) technique.

Ha! Jim, what the heck is--"rasquedo (spelling) technique"? Are you showing off or one upping me or what? :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Hello Down Up Dick,
Please excuse the delay in replying. I was away doing my husbandly duties, my sweetheart is 87 years so we look after each other as best we can. Now as to the rasgueado; it is a flamenco and classical guitar technique where you use the extensors instead of the flexors on the fingers. The result is that beautiful rapid very fast tremola effect on the downstrum. Try youtube for Pepe Romero and other talented guitarists.
Regards
Jim.

I think that you play classical music. What kind of pieces do you play? I played Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring"
on my banjo (by ear) yesterday, but I usually play folk music. Trying to learn to play by ear I was noodling, and my fingers just started playing it. Playing from memory is my favorite way of playing, but it's difficult for me on my Ukes and banjos. I'm usta wind instruments.

Anyway it takes a long time to learn to play "good" music, especially if one is old. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom