Season 231 "Think Global - Play Local"

Lovely theme, Michael. (It's Michael, right?) Nice to hear your voice too - I could listen to you all day! And who knew the "Alley Cat" was Danish?! (Well, you did ... and probably all of Denmark. But I didn't.) I did want to see you dance it though. 😄

I already hosted a New Jersey Season, and have covered lots of local artists, and written a lot of songs about or mentioning New Jersey. (I even wrote an opening theme song for the New Jersey Season!) So, I'm thinking about what I can do that'll stand out from all that.

Hey, our new songwriter group that Neil started meets at my house on Thursday. Might just have to write something for that!

I recorded on an iPad from a hotel bedroom when I was away from home at the end of May. ....

Heck, I recorded in a freakin' TENT. In a rainstorm. In the dark. Might do it again soon too. 😎

You can skip the niceties like editing when you're traveling. I couldn't even figure out how to get me and my uke on camera inside the tent, so I just pointed it at my wet umbrella lying on the tent floor, which didn't move the entire time. And I had no way to make (or see) a chart of my new song, so I mostly just kind of ad-libbed it on the fly.

It was really fun to participate from a campground in a distant state. Made me feel connected even while alone and far from home.

Great theme. I'm struggling to think of any Tasmanian artists, though. I wonder if Melbourne would be too far away to count...

Dude, Eugene Ukulele! He's got heaps of great originals.

Oops, I see Pa beat me to it. Violent Femmes is good too!

Well, all righty then. I have figured out what I must do and have begun it. It will be unveiled at the group Thursday night and hopefully recorded there. 😊

Great theme. I'm struggling to think of any Tasmanian artists, though. I wonder if Melbourne would be too far away to count...

Not sure which part of Australia/New Zealand these are from but artists aside from our own Seasonista maestros Brian (pabrizzer) and Jon Duncan (mountain goat) from your country that I know of off the top of my head:

• Gotye
  • Kimbra?
  • Rick Springfield
  • Olivia Newton-John
  • Cliff Richards
  • Tommy Emmanuel
  • Midnight Oil
  • The Church (not 'Lords of The New Church' but 'THE CHURCH' as in Steve Kilbey, Peter Koppes, Marty Willson-Piper and Nick Ward) see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_(band)

of course there are lots of others, but memory fails at the moment...

Oh, trust me, there are heaps of great Australian artists. It's just that the state where I live has a pretty small population, so relatively few artists. Melbourne is the nearest big city (counting big as over 500,000 people) so I was just hoping to have the leeway to include Melbourne artists, even though it is in a different state. There are a few Tasmanian options as well as Brian has pointed out, but since Michael has given me the option of covering Melbourne artists, I'll start by doing that.

Not sure which part of Australia/New Zealand these are from but artists aside from our own Seasonista maestros Brian (pabrizzer) and Jon Duncan (mountain goat) from your country that I know of off the top of my head:

• Gotye
  • Kimbra?
  • Rick Springfield
  • Olivia Newton-John
  • Cliff Richards
  • Tommy Emmanuel
  • Midnight Oil
  • The Church (not 'Lords of The New Church' but 'THE CHURCH' as in Steve Kilbey, Peter Koppes, Marty Willson-Piper and Nick Ward) see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_(band)

of course there are lots of others, but memory fails at the moment...

Oh, and the artists you mentioned are from the following places:

Gotye: Arguably Sydney or Melbourne
Kimbra: New Zealand
Rick Springfield: Victoria
Olivia Newton-John: Melbourne
Cliff Richard: UK
Tommy Emmanuel: New South Wales
Midnight Oil: Canberra?
The Church: Sydney

A very inexpensive tangible prize that fits with your theme might be a postcard from your area in Norway. Of course I'm always open to cards from local tattoo shops from anyone willing but this was common for most old tattoo artists.

:2cents:

The Butterfly Bandito springs to mind for one of them.

I just googled, and came up with Kevin Shegog's name, who I remember from my youth, but I doubt you would have heard of him, Robin.

Hmmm. I didn't read thru to the end of the thread, and see that Pa came to the same conclusion as I did re Eugene Ukulele

And Wendy.

Last edited:
The Butterfly Bandito springs to mind for one of them.

I just googled, and came up with Kevin Shegog's name, who I remember from my youth, but I doubt you would have heard of him, Robin.

Hmmm. I didn't read thru to the end of the thread, and see that Pa came to the same conclusion as I did re Eugene Ukulele

Never heard of Kevin Shegog, but how many pseudonyms does Jon have? I can't find any of his stuff anyway, because he deleted all his accounts. I'd ask him, but he's travelling overseas this week. I suppose I could look at Two Little Woodpeckers' stuff... That's a good idea, actually.

Last edited:
Well I've certainly got some famous ones from where I come from, don't know any local ones in the area I'm now in though, so it will probably have to be something from my home county talent. :)

Lovely theme, Michael. (It's Michael, right?) Nice to hear your voice too - I could listen to you all day! And who knew the "Alley Cat" was Danish?! (Well, you did ... and probably all of Denmark. But I didn't.) I did want to see you dance it though. ��

Well, actually my name is a danish variant of that name, "Mikkel", but in international contexts I find it tempting to call myself "Mike", though I know it is usually short for Michael.

Alley Cat was originally the theme song for a danish TV show, that happened to make it to the US hit lists somehow. When we talk about danish music being popular abroad, the songs that are always mentioned are "Alley Cat" by Bent Fabric, "Barbie Girl" by Aqua, and recently "7 years old" by Lucas Graham.

I'm glad to hear that you found a song, otherwise there is no rule against making a new recording of something that has been done before.

A very inexpensive tangible prize that fits with your theme might be a postcard from your area in Norway. Of course I'm always open to cards from local tattoo shops from anyone willing but this was common for most old tattoo artists.

:2cents:

That could be a prize, but I would feel silly since the postage would be ten times the value of the postcard. Also, most other people wouldn't know where to put a postcard of the Little Mermaid.
A small correction: Denmark is not a part of Norway. Norway was once a part of Denmark, but they haven't been for more than 200 years. But hey, I once heard that someone thought that Denmark was the capital of IKEA, so you were closer :D

Last edited:
Larry Penn was a Wisconsin folk and labor singer. His song “I’m A Little Cookie” was inspired by his special needs son. Larry remembered a local bakery where he bought broken cookies at a discount, which he fed his own children because, even though they were broken, they tasted just a good as any other cookie. Larry passed away in 2014 at the age of 87. I'm proud to have called him a friend.

I guess an internationally recognized lyrics-writer is just as much an artist as a singer or a band member, so if this is what you like to present then feel free.

Thank you, Liverpool (Beatles) is about 125 miles from where I live which would be considered very local in large countries but I wanted to stick to my home county.

oh did someone mention my name??? :rolleyes:

i live in harlesden, north west london, wiki is my friend this week, and reliably informs me that denmark IS the capital of IKEA ;) and that :bowdown: hawkwind guitarist huw lloyd-langton was born in harlesden, so let's DO this!

"levitation" by hawkwind

Ed Tuleja, a founding member of King Harvest (Dancing In The Moonlight), has lived in Tasmania for many years. He accompanied some of Jon Duncan's recordings, if you want another connection.
There was a season or a thread a while back where seasonistas covered other seasonistas. At least one of Jon's was covered but it might take a while to find.

Also you may find inspiration using the wayback machine on eugeneukulele.com

I am about to go off on holiday to Liverpool, Wales and Ireland. So I don't know if I'll be available to contribute to 232 and 233.

Meanwhile, well, you can't get much more local to me than a song written in the town I live in (Capellades, in Catalunya). And you can't get more "unknown" than my daughter whose lyrics these are (as far as I know it is the one and only song she has written) - though she keeps a journal I am forbidden to even look at.

She wrote this for an imaginative literature teacher who got her students to write a song for her a couple of years back.

The original lyrics are on the YouTube channel - but here is a rough translation of the lyrics for non Catalan speakers.

Sometimes

Sometimes I think that life is beautiful.
Sometimes I think I'm flying.
Sometimes I think that I am a star
Sometimes I feel like you're a stranger.

I cannot wait until tomorrow
I cannot love you, nor let you go
Sometimes I think that life is beautiful
Sometimes I think I'm mistaken.

Sometimes I think there is hope,
Sometimes I think we are lucky.
Sometimes I see the world as a beautiful,
Sometimes I feel it all get taken away from me.

CHORUS

Sometimes I cry inconsolably,
Sometimes I laugh out loud like a child at play.
Sometimes I think that you really love me,
Sometimes I see that that just could not be.

Sometimes I think that life is beautiful
Sometimes I think I'm mistaken.

I hope you like it.

Inspired by the american singers "The Revelers" Harry Frommermann looked for professional singers, so in 1928 the Comedian Harmonists came together, 3 jewish and 3 christians members forming one of the first worldwide known boy groups. Their awsome international career ended on March 1st 1934, when Nazi Germany prohibided any further performance. Split in two groups they could continue their careers later in USA and Germany, surviving WW II but never joining again.

Their song was made for the movie "Monte Carlo Madness", produced in german, english and french

Finnish Children's song, in which the tidiness of an elderly gentleman
as he prepares for sauna is held up as something to aspire to.

Not really it is just about a man hanging up his satchel before he goes
into sauna and taking it away when he leaves. Some stereo dubbing
to give a simple song some interest.

Top Bottom