Here I Still Am

Hi Down Up Dick, Happy Birthday, I turned 85 last month, It's good you're still playing the ukulele. The wife an I got a Tenor about 2 years ago, We both enjoy playing it, also we play Guitar and Bass. We played RV Parks in Yuma Arizona for a few years. Had lots of fun out there. Keep On Pickin' Best Wishes J&C

Thanks, uke-a-little. I started this thread because I thought I was probably the oldest Uker in the UU. But, Wow!, I'm a mere youngster.

Well, maybe that means I've got a few good years left to strum away those ol' guy blues. :eek:ld:

Well, I'm just a puppy in comparison (56), but if it counts, my Doctor used to say I was in great condition for any 98 year old, lol. Fortunately, she doesn't say that anymore. Being I did face death a couple times several years ago before I took my health seriously (weight 700lbs, and countless health issues contributing to my issues). I lived through that, an loosing over 320 lbs over the past 4 years (no surgery, or drugs, just determination to live) have made it to 56 years old which I never thought I would make it to this age. I have licked countless health issues in defeating my battle over obesity and on no medications anymore (used to have bottles and bottles of meds years ago). Still a big guy, but at 56 in better health than I have been in two decades, and now looking forward to post 60 and beyond. Still here, playing the uke even though not as well due to some limitations from a stroke a few years ago. But, who cares, I play now for myself regardless of those limitations. God is good, as is life.. ;)

Happy Birthday and congrats to all who have hit a big milestone age, be it 80, 75, or 25. This thread shows what a great motivator the uke can be and what a great community this site is.

Well, I'm just a puppy in comparison (56), but if it counts, my Doctor used to say I was in great condition for any 98 year old, lol. Fortunately, she doesn't say that anymore.

Just want to congratulate you for taking better care of yourself now. I'll be watching for your post when you celebrate your 80th birthday.

Well, I'm just a puppy in comparison (56), but if it counts, my Doctor used to say I was in great condition for any 98 year old, lol. Fortunately, she doesn't say that anymore. Being I did face death a couple times several years ago before I took my health seriously (weight 700lbs, and countless health issues contributing to my issues). I lived through that, an loosing over 320 lbs over the past 4 years (no surgery, or drugs, just determination to live) have made it to 56 years old which I never thought I would make it to this age. I have licked countless health issues in defeating my battle over obesity and on no medications anymore (used to have bottles and bottles of meds years ago). Still a big guy, but at 56 in better health than I have been in two decades, and now looking forward to post 60 and beyond. Still here, playing the uke even though not as well due to some limitations from a stroke a few years ago. But, who cares, I play now for myself regardless of those limitations. God is good, as is life.. ;)

Wow! Nice goin', Tudorp, it just proves that where there's a will, there's a way--Congratulations! Happy strummin'. :eek:ld:

Just want to congratulate you for taking better care of yourself now. I'll be watching for your post when you celebrate your 80th birthday.

Thanks, but the weird thing that changed my outlook. I was laying on the gurney in the ER and was "coding", fading in and out of consciousness. The team working on me generally rushes family out when one codes. But by the grace of God, they did not push my bride and daughter (13 at that time), out, but over to the corner of the room. When I faded back into consciousness, I could look across the room at my wife and daughter, whom were embracing each other and in tears as they were watching me pretty much die. I finally saw what my outlook on health, and what my death would do to my loved ones left behind, and was able to pray for God not to let me go like that, and leave them here. That is when I knew I had so much to live for and my job on earth was not done. Since that day of awakening, I have taken health seriously, and embrace life. I am thankful for that 2nd chance the Lord gave me, and vowed never to take that for granted and waste life. ;)

Hi Down Up Dick, Happy Birthday, I turned 85 last month, It's good you're still playing the ukulele. The wife an I got a Tenor about 2 years ago, We both enjoy playing it, also we play Guitar and Bass. We played RV Parks in Yuma Arizona for a few years. Had lots of fun out there. Keep On Pickin' Best Wishes J&C

Hello uke-a-little,
Perhaps we are twins. Also June 1931.
Regards
Jim

Ya know, all these posts from my seniors have made me feel a lot, lot better. I've been feeling old and feeble and used up for the past coupla months because of a medical problem. I guess you all have got stuff too and yet keep on marching on. I suppose I'll just to straighten up and get in step.

Maybe we oughta think about starting an oldies group where we talk about stuff without starting a thread. If you agree, drop me a line on my Profile.

Well, thanks again for making me feel a bit better and tell me whatcha think about a group. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Hey Down Up Dick,
So glad to have you on the forum, we all benefit from the uke, it sure helps keep us goin for sure, lookin forward to posting some tunes some time soon, and watchin for you and the rest of the gang too,,,
lets all keep goin here ya'll !! our best to you J&C

Last edited:
Hi 1931Jim,
I was born on June 28th, don't know about the twin thing,, could be!!!!! :)
worked in Toronto back in the 60's don't remember the name of the club,
lets all keep in touch here ,, this is cool!!!!! J&C

Hey Dick,,, the group thing would be nice, we would like to be a part of it,
how do we go about it??? we dont get on much , and have dial-up service so we cant do alot like videos yet,,, ,,, but would love to be a part of a group with you and the rest of the gang, J&C

Hi 1931Jim,
I was born on June 28th, don't know about the twin thing,, could be!!!!! :)
worked in Toronto back in the 60's don't remember the name of the club,
lets all keep in touch here ,, this is cool!!!!! J&C

Hello uke-a-little,
I was born on the 12th. I am about 1.5 hours by bus west of Toronto.
Regards
Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tudorp View Post
Well, I'm just a puppy in comparison (56), but if it counts, my Doctor used to say I was in great condition for any 98 year old, lol. Fortunately, she doesn't say that anymore. Being I did face death a couple times several years ago before I took my health seriously (weight 700lbs, and countless health issues contributing to my issues). I lived through that, an loosing over 320 lbs over the past 4 years (no surgery, or drugs, just determination to live) have made it to 56 years old which I never thought I would make it to this age. I have licked countless health issues in defeating my battle over obesity and on no medications anymore (used to have bottles and bottles of meds years ago). Still a big guy, but at 56 in better health than I have been in two decades, and now looking forward to post 60 and beyond. Still here, playing the uke even though not as well due to some limitations from a stroke a few years ago. But, who cares, I play now for myself regardless of those limitations. God is good, as is life..
Wow! Nice goin', Tudorp, it just proves that where there's a will, there's a way--Congratulations! Happy strummin'. :eek:ld:
Hello Down Up Dick. You wrote......Happy strummin'
Perhaps your new group could call themselves ""The Sunset Strummers""
Jim

You're the second one to mention a group positively. That's three of us. I'll wait for a few more . . .

I don't like Sunset Strummers. It sounds like the name of a uker's Hospice, and we're all tryin' to avoid sunset . . . :eek:ld:

Top Bottom