Uke Tuners

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. When I do, I use it, especially since all my ukes are solid and change a bit when I take them somewhere else.

I tune mostly by ear and quite frequently, but my ear for pitch has been honed by ear training and years of performance on woodwinds. That being said, I do frequently use a strobe tuner to check the accuracy of my A.

I think tuning with the aid of a clip-on tuner generally is a good idea as long as you listen to your intonation as you play. I simply find a clip-on tuner (at least the less expensive ones) less precise than my own ear when making fine adjustments.

As for banjos, tuning is more frequently needed than for ukuleles. Banjos, with their long, thin necks and temperature-sensitive heads, are more susceptible to changes in tuning than ukuleles. Also, banjos produce abundant overtones, exacerbating any intonation issues present. I've been dabbling in banjo lately, and while tuning a banjo can be a chore at times, if you approach the instrument with respect to these issues, you can minimize their impact and thus reduce the need for frequent retuning.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of tuner I have. It is smaller than a Snark. It is just a tuner. I think that I usually turn the display off. Most of the time I just leave it on the uke, because that is as good a place as any to keep it. Those little things can disappear if I start taking it off an on all the time. The next time I need it I won't be able to find it. I'm also kind of lazy.

If I am playing with someone and their uke sounds out of tune, I will say, "hey, tune your uke." If they are singing out of tune, I just keep it to myself. But if I'm in a big group strum though, and I think someone's uke is out of tune, I just let it go. I'm not going to make a big deal about it in a group like that.

Last edited:
I'd still like to learn how to reliably tune with a fork, but that is slow going so far. The electronic tuners are just very convenient.
Mivo I use "A" (440) tuning fork for about the last 70 years. Always very reliable for me Mivo. String #1 which is A open, tune to the fork, then put the fork away in it's little box.
Now string #2 which is E will be in tune with #1 string which is open A, at the 5th fret. Now while still using the #2 E string as your reference, your #4 string which is g will be in tune at the 3rd fret of the #2 E string. Now on to the final #3 C string. Tune the 4th fret of the C or #3 string to be the same as the open #2 E string. It takes me longer to type this than doing the checking of my ukulele. Jim.
PS: My knowledge of battery tuning is limited to observation of others at different outings i have been to. Also I can depend on my ears more than my eyes nowadays more than ever. Sorry.

1931jim, your last sentence contains the main problem with some of us. As I said before, I can tune perfectly by ear; my dog has really good fleas, but when I check it with a tuner it's way off. And when I tune it by ear (perfectly), and then just go ahead and play, it just doesn't sound right. And I don't think a tuning fork would help those of us who can't tune the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings to the 1st string. We would really need 4 tuning forks. I know how to tune as you described, but, for some reason, it's different than the tuner.

Have you ever heard someone sing who simply cannot carry a tune? They think they sound just great, but they're often way off even when singing with a piano.

I guess some of us (you) got it, and some of us don't. :eek:ld:

I try not to keep mine on. But I put it on the headstock so I don't lose it. Then sometimes I just forget......

Bill1, you're probably correct if you have perfect pitch or at least very good pitch awareness, but, alas, some of us don't seem to have it.

When tuning by ear one listens to two tones and manipulates them until they sound exactly the same; they are in tune! But some of us apparently aren't able to do that well. As I said a coupla times earlier: I have tuned a Uke to perfect "my dog has fleas", and then checked with a tuner and found it to be outta tune! Perhaps different ears hear tones differently than others do.

The electronic tuner, however, doesn't listen to two strings. It measures the single string until it deems its tone to be an A or an E or whatever. So, the happy ukist ends up with four strings that are tuned correctly to G C E A.

And as to your other comment (#29). If one is playing with a crowd of friends, it is maybe okay to be a bit out of tune, but, when playing a solo or maybe a duet, being in tune is very much more important.

I don't think anyone likes to hear an out of tune instrument. It's much better to tune it however one can. :eek:ld:

For the almost 50 years I played guitar, I could never tune by ear or by string to string, but when electronic tuners came out. I jumped on them, even though they were large boxes. Now I use the D'Addario/Planet Waves mini tuners, either behind the headstock, or if that's not possible, on top. But I recently started sticking them to the heal of the neck on my bass ukes, removing the clip portion, hides them very well. I only turn it on when I tune.

What's really hard to understand is a member of my uke group uses the tuner, but never goes to exact pitch, as soon as the correct letter shows, the person stops tuning, no matter how sharp or flat.

For the almost 50 years I played guitar, I could never tune by ear or by string to string, but when electronic tuners came out. I jumped on them, even though they were large boxes. Now I use the D'Addario/Planet Waves mini tuners, either behind the headstock, or if that's not possible, on top. But I recently started sticking them to the heal of the neck on my bass ukes, removing the clip portion, hides them very well. I only turn it on when I tune.

What's really hard to understand is a member of my uke group uses the tuner, but never goes to exact pitch, as soon as the correct letter shows, the person stops tuning, no matter how sharp or flat.

Maybe that person thinks he or she is doing it right?

Bill1, you're probably correct if you have perfect pitch or at least very good pitch awareness, but, alas, some of us don't seem to have it.

When tuning by ear one listens to two tones and manipulates them until they sound exactly the same; they are in tune! But some of us apparently aren't able to do that well. As I said a coupla times earlier: I have tuned a Uke to perfect "my dog has fleas", and then checked with a tuner and found it to be outta tune! Perhaps different ears hear tones differently than others do.

The electronic tuner, however, doesn't listen to two strings. It measures the single string until it deems its tone to be an A or an E or whatever. So, the happy ukist ends up with four strings that are tuned correctly to G C E A.

And as to your other comment (#29). If one is playing with a crowd of friends, it is maybe okay to be a bit out of tune, but, when playing a solo or maybe a duet, being in tune is very much more important.

I don't think anyone likes to hear an out of tune instrument. It's much better to tune it however one can. :eek:ld:

When you tune by ear, you are tuning the ukulele to itself and so your "perfect" my dog has fleas is in tune with itself but not necessarily with another instrument. If you are singing solo and accompanying yourself, that is perfectly OK as you can pitch your voice to the uke. It's also OK if you are playing a solo instrumental.

OTOH, if you are playing with others, you need to tune one string to a reference pitch - either to a tuning fork or to one of the instruments. When you check your ear tuning with your electronic tuner, you are, in effect, using your electronic tuner to provide your reference pitch. If everyone in a group tunes to an electronic tuner, there is a good chance that you will all tune to the same reference. Though even the cheap electronic tuners are pretty accurate these days they do vary. Most of mine agree with each other but I have one that is very slightly out - only a few cents but definitely out. It's OK for tuning a uke to itself but for playing with others, no good. I keep it with the uke that's permanently in my car as it will be OK for that purpose.

The electronic tuner is a great time saver as you can quickly get the instrument in tune but I always check by ear when I have finished. Most of the time it's OK but occasionally I do have to tweak the tuning to get it properly in tune.

Last edited:
My previous, helpful and contributing posts to this thread have been deleted by me in protest due to the later tone of this thread.

I will be spending my energies elsewhere, that they might be more appreciated.

Mahalo.

Last edited:
More tuner p0rn...

3 clip-on tuners and a tuning fork...

0R3erc0.jpg

From left-to-right:

- Kala tuner, got from HMS on sale, has both AUDIO and VISUAL metronome modes in over 5 different time signatures up to 400bpm

- SuperFly tuner, got from stringsandbeyond.com, has nice BRIGHT display, wider opening clip, good for guitar headstocks

- Reverb tuner, got for $1 w/free ship, works well, nice LARGE display

AND........these tuners as well as the NS-Micro tuners, ALL USE THE SAME CR-2032 lithium battery - YAY!!!

Almost all small electronics use c2032 ;). Thank god for standards.

When you tune by ear, you are tuning the ukulele to itself and so your "perfect" my dog has fleas is in tune with itself but not necessarily with another instrument. If you are singing solo and accompanying yourself, that is perfectly OK as you can pitch your voice to the uke. It's also OK if you are playing a solo instrumental.

OTOH, if you are playing with others, you need to tune one string to a reference pitch - either to a tuning fork or to one of the instruments. When you check your ear tuning with your electronic tuner, you are, in effect, using your electronic tuner to provide your reference pitch. If everyone in a group tunes to an electronic tuner, there is a good chance that you will all tune to the same reference. Though even the cheap electronic tuners are pretty accurate these days they do vary. Most of mine agree with each other but I have one that is very slightly out - only a few cents but definitely out. It's OK for tuning a uke to itself but for playing with others, no good. I keep it with the uke that's permanently in my car as it will be OK for that purpose.

The electronic tuner is a great time saver as you can quickly get the instrument in tune but I always check by ear when I have finished. Most of the time it's OK but occasionally I do have to tweak the tuning to get it properly in tune.

I know how to tune one string against another. I've said that a coupla times before, but, when I do it and then check ALL the strings, they aren't (each) spot on. My dog's fleas are not in tune. I dunno why, so I use a tuner (then take it off). :eek:ld:

^^^All of the above! g) it looks stupid! :shaka:

Like Dick, I tune and take it off and put it in the case at the beginning of a jam. When we take a break, I check and retune if necessary and put the tuner back in the case. At home I have a tuner laying on my table by the music stand. A tuner clipped on while playing just bugs me, kind of like untidy string ends.

I like those little micro tuners, have to get me a couple, I guess. Not sure if I would leave it on or not.

You're adding negative values to your options Booli, probably because you disagree with them. I usually take it off because I find it ugly on a wooden piece of art. For me personally, the electronic tuner detracts from the visual experience, there's no taunting involved, imagined or not ;).

Last edited:
Booli, I mostly take the tuner off because, when I first got the Snark, the directions said not to leave it on for long periods. Then I decided that others' looked dorky having it on, especially with a really beautiful peghead/ukulele. For me, the tuner really detracts from the uke's good looks.

But, for you who (yoo-hoo?) like them on, you paid for them AND the Ukes, so leave 'em on and strum away. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom