Season 232 - Something to See

Eye see someone has done this one but I have give it some ' visuals' as I shall probably only do one this week.

Wooo what a great theme! Hope it encourages everyone to continue on with more visuals in the following weeks. Will have to put my thinking cap on this week and move from the couch.

If it's useful to anyone, last week I found out that you can use those earphones that go in your ears with the little mic in the middle bit (where the wires join) to record outside. You can cut off the earphones and put some foam over the mic and bring this and your phone/tablet outside for recording.

Now, must dash and storyboard out an entire movie for a song about seeing! :D

*Edit: The opening vid and singing and everything by manfrog was just super - you should award yourself a prize for it.

Last edited:
Did I get it right right this time Frank?
I read the fine print.

What happens when relationships go bad.

A quick one from The Who with a boring video accompaniment, sorry John, I'll try to do better on the next one !

Entry 1, the Todd song. Take 8 or 9 was just about perfect, except my uke (the Vita) totally drowned out my voice. So I went through three more ukes and about 10 more takes until the old reliable Ohana hog put me across the finish line. And I still flubbed a few strums. Just wait 'til you see (heh) what I have in store for Entry 2 --

232/1

No fancy video on this one. I'm hoping to get another done later in the week.

The song comes from the Isle of Lewis, one of the western isles of Scotland and was originally in Gaelic. The English words I sang here I took from a recording by Scottish Folk Singer, Moira Craig. It's about a young woman watching anxiously for her fisherman lover to come back from sea. A very real fear for the waters off Western Scotland are very dangerous indeed. In fact the woman who wrote the song married her fisherman not long after she wrote it.

"Something To See"

Well, I tried to be a bit different this time. ;)

Here you 'see' me playing my new 'birthday uke', (using my new 'rechargable mini amp'), & doing something completely different! :D

YES - It is meant to be upside down! :biglaugh:

Edit: I had the words written by 11am Sunday morning, but couldn't decide what to do with them, until this morning, when I thought I'd try stumming all the way through, a first for me. :)

Last edited:

"You Gotta See Mama Ev'ry Night". Hoping this might fulfil both parts 1 and 2 of this week's very "fun" contest .... as you can see, I am but a poor, abandoned woman, with a static camera to boot, and this is the best I can come up with by way of a "story"!

When I told Gentleman Caller about this week's Season, he said "YOU GOTTA COVER THE MATS!" So I did. I think Paul Westerberg would appreciate my sloppy performance.

First up (and as I've already discussed with NotAnotherLinda aka Graham) Fink, who are my favourite band of the moment, particularly their earlier more pared down albums. This is called "Looking too Closely". I added a bit of a kind of echoey sound to the vocals. I also had to turn the audio up as it was too low...hence the annoying hiss. Sorry about that!

I enjoy watching movie trailers. Here's one for you to watch along with this song I just wrote!

Great theme. Hope to get myself together for at least one vid. I feel like a record slowed to its lowest speed. :)

So I started writing this Talkin' Blues kind of a song last week, just kicking around ideas and trying to play with the format mostly. The first line goes like this:

"Folks these days got someplace to be. Somewhere to go, something to see."

Once I saw this week's theme I knew I had to finish it. I always really love John's originals, so it seems perfect that my first original for SOTU is for his season. I was inspired by the especially awesome intro video this week to try and have some more fun with the visuals. Half of this is either stuff I shot on my way to work this morning or random videos I found on my phone. This was a blast to put together, completely caught me off guard and I just went with it.

I decided to give you simplicity this week John. This is my daughter and my grand daughter. They tolerate my video making each week :)

Something from one of my favourite singer songwriters, (I've Seen) Fire and Rain by James Taylor.

Top Bottom