Help: issues with on-line Kanile'a K-2 SC purchase.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, I took delivery (nobody carries these here in MN) of a (reduced) "new" Kanile'a K-2 super concert.
She plays and sounds wonderful. Such a light build, and very, very pretty, in an understated way. (I'm not into big shine.)
However, there's a couple issues that I'm not sure how to think about:
It came with no tags.
I think it's the older natural oil finish rather than the newer satin UV finish, because there's shop wear (that they didn't tell me about) - couple faint, faint scratches, and tiny amount of arm shine.)
And what I am most concerned about is what I'm thinking is a slight production flaw: I can stick a small corner tip of a piece of paper into about a quarter inch of the seam between the upper body and the neck heel, just behind the fret board.
Sigh. Any advice?
Is that seam trouble?
While I did expect better communication about these issues, should I expect better of my $850 purchase price?
There is a decent return policy.
I can't seem to upload photos from my computer, will try from laptop later.

Last edited:
May have worked better in the Uke Tech Support Forum, or perhaps the Luthier's Forum

it could be old stock...the first four numbers tell you the month and year of the build...

check out the Ukulele Site(aka HMS) website they have 2 or 3 Kanile'a SC in stock that are gloss finish..or call they have a few in the shop.....

Last edited:
Well, that helped, thx. The serial # is 0812-8731. Four years old! Even if it's been hanging in a wall all this time, it helps to explain the noted (slight) wear...

Send it back or try for a big discount.

I agree with you Pat...

I have been to Sylvan in Santa Cruz...they are a nice guitar shop and have a few ukes in stock....but in 2012 the price of a concert Kanile'a had to be $100.00 or more less than the price you paid...send it back and get a newer one for about the same price today....

If this is something that will bug you even the slightest, return it. You should be thrilled with a new uke. Since the store was not giving you the correct details, you should be able to demand a full refund.

If it's going to bother you, return it while you can. $850 is a really good deal on it though. I'm guessing the scratches and flaw may be why it was discounted, although it is a shame they didn't disclose that up front to let the buyer make the call before purchase.

Life is too short to waste time.

Either call and complain and maybe get some money back...

or return it and buy from a more reputable vendor such as HMS,

or call your credit card and do a chargeback if you cannot get a refund or discount to your satisfaction.

There are PLENTY (read DOZENS of places selling ukes now) and if the vendor is lacking in customer service, there are plenty of places that are NOT lacking in customer service that will be happy to serve you...

The seam issue would be my biggest concern, too. $850 is a good price, so the shine and the micro scratches would be okay with me (the instrument will probably acquire those anyway), but the seam problem, if I understand it correctly, would probably made me return it if the warranty doesn't cover it. I'd contact Kanile'a about it. They responded to my email inquiry about tuss rods in guitaleles within a day (yes, they have them).

I'd also question the store about selling you a likely display model without telling you. Perhaps you'll get an extra discount, if you keep it.

Merged the thread from Uke Tech Support since the OP asked the same question. No reason to have the same question posted in two forums to solicit more responses ....

Merged the thread from Uke Tech Support since the OP asked the same question. No reason to have the same question posted in two forums to solicit more responses ....

Thankyou, I re-posted there upon a recommendation and tried to delete this one, but couldn't figure it out...

Thx to all for helpfulness.
I did write to Kanile'a, and to the seller.
I am torn, because this uke is lovely in so many other ways...
Here's a question: players seem to keep these because you rarely see them for sale, but how much would this four year old sell for on the used market?
The exact model number is K2-SC-DLX-SF (which I did not have the sense to ask for before purchase).

Last edited:
Life is too short to waste time.

Either call and complain and maybe get some money back...

or return it and buy from a more reputable vendor such as HMS,

or call your credit card and do a chargeback if you cannot get a refund or discount to your satisfaction.

There are PLENTY (read DOZENS of places selling ukes now) and if the vendor is lacking in customer service, there are plenty of places that are NOT lacking in customer service that will be happy to serve you...

Those dozens of vendors don't seem to be listing their Kanile'a ukes on-line. (Or maybe they're not paying Google enough to show up on a search.) I did look at HMS (just didn't fall for the looks except for a couple that cost much more). Who are the others that will show prices and photos on line (besides Ebay and Reverb)?

kind of confused on this thread now..i do not think this uke goes up in value since it is a 2012 model.....

here is a new Kanile'a built in a few months ago with a HMS setup and a gloss finish for $899.00..no scratches,dings,gaps etc.....brand new....
I would go with a new uke if they will let you return it with a full refund....btw Corey goes to Kanile'a once a week..so there are new ukes on their site every week...just keep watching for the one you like

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/kanilea/kanilea-k1-sc-super-concert.html

my 2 cents

Last edited:
Thx to all for helpfulness.
I did write to Kanile'a, and to Sylvan's.
I am torn, because this uke is lovely in so many other ways...
Here's a question: players seem to keep these because you rarely see them for sale, but how much would this four year old sell for on the used market?
Here's the link to the listing. The exact model number is K2-SC-DLX-SF (which I did not have the sense to ask for before purchase).
https://reverb.com/item/2483542-kanile-a-k-2-super-concert-deluxe-new

With all the issues you mentioned, probably the most would be $600-$650 to sell in used market. Even covered under warranty, the cost to ship it over to Kanilea and back will be about $100. I'm estimating based on insured shipping from Oregon. It'd probably be more from Minnesota. Didn't you mention Sylvan has a good return policy? Maybe I'm wrong, but from your posts it seems like the flaws are bothering you?

I returned a Kanilea concert because it was advertised as flawless - like new. It had a crack in the UV finish to the wood from the bridge to the edge of the body and some right hand bracelet or watch rash easily visible in the finish. Not ok for a Kanilea of mine. For what you paid, you deserve a new one a' la' Hawaii Music Supply.

Top Bottom