Trying to avoid the generic black hard shell case...

Now put some stickers on it and you are good to go.

Do you realize that having a blingy cases invites theives. Thats why there are black cases. :)
Just saying :)

Do you realize that having a blingy cases invites theives. Thats why there are black cases. :)
Just saying :)

Plus my wife doesn't realize which uke is which, which one is new vs old, which one is too expensive, lol.

Plus my wife doesn't realize which uke is which, which one is new vs old, which one is too expensive, lol.

Good one. My wife said "they all look the same to me" referring to my ukes and cases. I said "That's great I will just keep buying and you won't the difference" She said "I can count you know" :p

Crossrock 1000 all the way. It's a bit more than $100 but totally worth it IMO. Lightweight, very strong, lockable, high quality hinges and latches, comes in different colours, great interior with extra movable padding so you can reconfigure for different size ukes, and also comes with a should strap and D ring attachment points. Even the handle design has been very well thought out. If the 1000 exceeds your budget then look at their 400 series ABS hybrid cases. They come in many colours. Definitely not the same level of protection though.

I need to paint my blingy cases black. All 19 fly rod cases are the same for the reasons outlined above. Should have thought of it for uke cases.

are there ANY cases that are hermetically sealed to hold in the humidity?

I have a TRiC case made by Godin for their Seagull and Art & Lutherie brand parlor guitars, that is a hard foam around the ends and while it is zipper closure, there is a sort of 2" deep tongue and groove channel that mates together when it is closed. Testing it all last winter, with a calibrated Caliber IV humidity sensor, shows a normal pill bottle with a wet sponge inside will retain the interior of the case at 40% humidity for about 16 days before dropping off.

I use this case for my A&L AMI nylon cedar/cherry guitar and it was about $90 on Amazon.

I wonder if a similar case exists for ukulele, and something with more surface area in the mating edges of the top and bottom along the perimeter than what I've seen on those Crossrock cases with the aluminum valence, which MAYBE has like a 1/8" overlap inside the perimeter edges with the METAL tongue-and-groove slot....

Last edited:
When it is raining and I take my uke (in its case) on my bicycle, I put it in a plastic bag. I use the plastic bag is to keep the rain out, but it will also keep the humidity inside the bag. I think if you want to hermetically seal the case, you could put it in a plastic bag and seal the bag. This would prevent the moisture in the air escaping outside of the plastic bag. I can buy a roll of plastic bags for about $5. So for less than $5 you can seal any uke case, soft or hard. You can take the uke anywhere in the plastic bag, and carry some spare plastic bags as well.
A second approach for lower cost ukes is to put the uke in a plastic bag and then put it in the case. I do this when I carry the uke in a backpack, or a soft case when I want to use the shoulder strap.

I was actually thinking of this exact procedure for my generic Uke-Crazy style case. Uke in bag with humidifier, bag sealed with a twist-tie, then all goes inside Uke Crazy case like normal - the only concern is if the plastic bag will adversely effect the wood or the uke's finish in some way...also if you want to play daily, doing the whole in-and-out-of-the-bag-and-case becomes somewhat of a PITA procedure compared to just in/out of a sealed case...

But I may do some testing with the bag, thinking black plastic garbage bag, since we always have those at home.

Top Bottom