Low tension, low G Tenor Strings

JoeJazz2000

Reaction score
I hate to start another string thread, but I've searched and didn't find an answer that fit my needs. I want to keep a tenor (Lanakai solid mahogany) strung with a Low G set. I have an Aquila set on now; I don't know which one, but it was sold as a tenor set, and has a red unwound fourth string. My problem is with this set on this axe, I don't like the tone or playability, especially the playability. I had some work done on the nut a while back and to my eyes and fingers, the action seems ok. I believe the problem is string tension.

Can anyone recommend a low-tension low G set for tenor? I am resisting would strings but will consider them if I must to get the lower tension. I prefer unwound strings. I appreciate any recommendations. I have a ukulele I am not enjoying, and I want to remedy that. Also if there is a low-tension Aquila set I'd like to know which one it is; Strings and Beyond is having an Aquila sale. Thanks, all.

Joe

I would suggest a couple different options:
1) try tuning your uke down 1/2 to 1 step. Bb tuning is rather popular on a tenor
2) Southcoast strings has a LOT of different string sets for different tuning and tension preferences. They are my go to strings. (http://southcoastukes.com/)

Ken Middleton offers a custom low tension low-G tenor set (unwound I presume).

Which Living Water set is 'low tension'? I do not see this marked on that page?

String diameters with Worth CT, Oasis, Fremont Blacklines, PhD and Living Water are nearly identical as to within 0.010" of each other from what I can see, and if you want LOWER tension strings, you generally need strings with lesser LINEAR DENSITY, which without lab equipment or access to the details from the stringmaker to us laymen means THINNER strings....

Like putting CONCERT STRINGS on a tenor. Or soprano strings on a concert.

For lower tension I have put the Martin M600 strings on a tenor, as well as the Worth CL (which are the thinnest strings I've seen for sale anywhere) on a different tenor, and all have worked out fine for me.

Each instrument will respond to the string tension and applied torque to the bridge and soundboard a bit differently due to the build being different from one luthier or brand to another, so YMMV

However, on my Mainland slothead mahogany tenor, when I put the Living Water CONCERT set on, they seemed to have even MORE tension than the tenor set, and after 4 days I noticed that the bridge had started to rotate forwards with dishing in front of it, and a slight belly to the back, so I took OFF this string set. Maybe the Living Water strings have MORE linear density than other flurorcarbon strings as this is the first time I've experienced this extra tension when downsizing the string diameter in over nearly 100 different string tests over the past 2 years...

I dunno if any conclusions can be formed that will apply to ALL strings or ALL instruments...

SO SORRY - edited to add that I looked at the page again and NOW saw the section in the middle:
"Custom Sets - If you require advice on unusual string combinations or want to put together a non-standard set, please contact me byemail. Custom strings cost about £1 per packet more than regular strings. Examples of custom sets include:

Baritone Custom - gCEA (high G)
Baritone Custom - GCEA (low G)
Tenor Custom - low tension
Tenor Custom - low tension (low G
Tenor Custom - 8 string (G & C in octaves, E & A in unison)
Tenor Custom - dGBE (high D)
Banjolele - D tuning"
Sorry I missed it before. :)

Last edited:
@Booli
I use Living Water concert low G strings on my tenors tuned to DGBE, that way, they are low tension. (This is not what the OP is asking for, though.) :)

@Booli
I use Living Water concert low G strings on my tenors tuned to DGBE, that way, they are low tension. (This is not what the OP is asking for, though.) :)

Yes - on my Koa tenor Fluke, I have the Martin M620 strings tuned as E-A-C#-F#, which is really only possible with this all unwound fluoro set because the 'C' or 3rd string is 0.0340" in diameter, which is the fattest unwound fluoro 'C' string in any string set that I've seen other than the Oasis GPX-Carbon 'trebles-only' half-set for classical guitar...

The M620s tuned down this low sound very sweet, are great for my vocal range without needing a capo and have near-infinite sustain, WHILE ALSO having very good intonation to about +/- 2 cents at the 12th fret...which I can live with. The reduced tension here is a real blessing sometimes.

Hi Booli, glad you spotted the info :)

I totally agree with using concert sets on a tenor to get lower tension. I am using Martin M600s on my new Kala tenor and they sound better (more sustain) and are more comfortable to play than the M620s I first put on it IMO (YMMV).

Maybe just buying the Living Water concert low-G set might be a more cost-effective solution ;)

Edit: Actually, looking at the gauges - only the A string appears to be lighter.

Last edited:
Living Waters are slicker than other strings I have used. The slickness makes them feel like lower tension.

Just ordered a set of Ph.D. strings from eBay store Lucy's ukulele, and it already shipped!

While I am a fan of wound low g, the unwound low g has a feel of significant lower tension so I think you are on the right path. For wound, I find the Fremont soloist to be of normal medium tension but if your fingers are accustomed to unwound it will feel significantly more tense.

I second the black line low g. Have them on tk1, and really like them.

South coast LL-NW would be very low tension. LML-NW is still on the low side of center so might be low enough.

I had some work done on the nut a while back and to my eyes and fingers, the action seems ok. I believe the problem is string tension.
Taking "tone" out of the equation, I'd take a look at these two sentences and focus on confirming your root cause first. Otherwise, one possibility is you find yourself chasing rabbits, which can be avoided.

Just for conversation, "playability" has variables involved before string tension, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems only the nut has been touched, to address action. . .
On another note, I can usually get lower action with high tension strings, Savarez 500J/540J series or D'Addario T46 trebles/ Aranjuez 600 low G to be specific.

Last edited:
I have the Freemont LowG Black Line on my tenor. I have no experience with other brands however as I am happy. I just bought another set as a spare, $11.95 Canadian dollars plus tax. I am still very satisfied with the feel and sound, of course I set up the nut and saddle on my ukuleles myself to suit my playing style because I am fussy.

Taking "tone" out of the equation, I'd take a look at these two sentences and focus on confirming your root cause first. Otherwise, one possibility is you find yourself chasing rabbits, which can be avoided.

Just for conversation, "playability" has variables involved before string tension, and unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems only the nut has been touched, to address action. . .
On another note, I can usually get lower action with high tension strings, Savarez 500J/540J series or D'Addario T46 trebles/ Aranjuez 600 low G to be specific.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you mentioning other variables I should be noticing. When I said "playability," I meant specifically the ease and comfort with which I can play. I have a number of reentrant-tuned concerts and sopranos, all with Aquilas, like the original sets when bought, except a Mexican Martin which has its original Martin strings of a noticeably lighter gauge. All of these are easy and comfortable to play. The linear-tuned tenor however, hurts my fingers to play. Period. The strings are not too high to press down to play, but they feel too taught to hold down comfortably. I've played steel-strung guitars, acoustic and electric, in all gauges, for over 50 years. I've tweaked nuts and bridges to get the feel I wanted. But honestly until I started playing ukulele and "nylon" strings, I never gave a moment's thought to string tension. I was aware that classical guitar strings were sold by tension as well as gauge, but since I didn't play them, I never payed attention. I'm pretty sure I would get better results with lower tension.

As you imply, tone is another issue. I'm hopeful lower tension strings will adequately drive the solid-wood box. In any event, the tone stinks now so I don't expect to worse off.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and ideas. I'm going to check out the string suggestions. I post at several music-related forums and the members here are the most generous and helpful anywhere.

Joe

On EDIT: Thanks again to all. I'm trying the Southcoast LL-NW set. I've noted all the suggestions, and may also try others as well. They all look interesting.

Last edited:
South coast LL-NW would be very low tension. LML-NW is still on the low side of center so might be low enough.

Thanks, Jim. I just put a set of the LL-NWs on, and I'm stretching them to hold pitch, waiting for them to settle in. For the few seconds they currently stay in tune, they feel good under my fingers and sound pleasing. I had a little trouble tying the first and second strings on to the bridge because the strings were so thin. I added another loop to the knot and held the excess with pliers while tightening them up and they held in just fine. With any luck at all, this may be just what I needed.
JOe

Thanks, Jim. I just put a set of the LL-NWs on, and I'm stretching them to hold pitch, waiting for them to settle in. For the few seconds they currently stay in tune, they feel good under my fingers and sound pleasing. I had a little trouble tying the first and second strings on to the bridge because the strings were so thin. I added another loop to the knot and held the excess with pliers while tightening them up and they held in just fine. With any luck at all, this may be just what I needed.
JOe
This is a great solution for tying your strings to the bridge. I put them on all my ukes. Especially good if you swap out low and high g on one uke or you are doing lots of string changes. I have several "used" string sets that I can still use because I can just re-loop them through the bridge bead.
https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Diamond-BridgeBeads-String-Ties/dp/B00HB8TOPG

either get rid of the low G or drop the turning a half step or two.. it will be a sweeter tone and improve playability as the string tension drops as well. good luck, Happy strummings :)

Top Bottom