Strap Suggestions?

EileenC

Reaction score
I want to get straps for my Concert and Tenor .... maybe the Bari but that's not as urgent.

Any suggestions?
I'm also apprehensive about getting strap buttons installed but I suppose it can't be avoided.

Price budget?

lori's uke leash is a very solid choice for no strap pins.

If you are willing to do a strap pin on the tail end, you open up your options to the wonderful straps that support the mandolin community.

I don't want to spend a lot on them. How risky is it to have a button installed?

Not really risky at all. Most ukuleles have a wood block at the bottom end. The strap button screws into that block. Many people install the buttons themselves. However, luthiers usually charge about $5-$10 if you are not comfortable drilling a hole in your uke (While I am quite able with a drill, I'm not sure I want to come anywhere my instruments with one!).

A highly recommended place for straps is Sherrins Threads on etsy. Some of her 1" straps can be had for under $10. (https://www.etsy.com/shop/SherrinsThreads?ref=l2-shopheader-name&section_id=16669994)

A lanyard type which hooks into the sound hole or the Uke Leash which ties to the headstock & loops around your shoulder need no buttons on your uke.

There is also one that just goes around the body of the uke to support it.

I suggest you get some string/cord & try tying that to your uke to get an idea of what you would like first. :)

(Fitting strap buttons is easy using a pin vise rather than a drill.)

Edit: I have some ukes that I only have a strap button on the heel & use a lanyard type of strap. ;)

Last edited:
Strap buttons can be avoided. As mentioned, there's the Uke Leash form Lori, which comes in different materials and colors. I use them with some of my ukes, and they are wonderful. I actually prefer the Uke Leash to straps that are attached to a button, unless a ukulele has two buttons (one on the heel also), but I find that a bit of an overkill for a small instrument.

The Uke Leash can also be converted to a regular strap (with an adapter), so you could start with one of those and, if you still feel you need a button, keep using it as a strap later on.

Info here: http://www.ukeleash.com/

I was worried about installing strap buttons in my Kanile'a tenor, and while they are not the answer for everyone, I'm so glad I have them. My absolute favorite strap is the Neotech 8001002 Mandolin/Ukulele Strap. It comes with different attachments depending on whether you want to use 1 or 2 strap buttons, but it does require at least 1 button at the heel block. It's super comfortable, super lightweight, and unobtrusive. After trying many different types of straps (sound hole straps, leashes, and even guitar straps like Brittni Paiva) I found this to be the best for my needs - it feels like it's hardly there and makes supporting my ukulele completely effortless so I can concentrate fully on my playing. I now use the Neotech strap in all of my performances and couldn't be happier. Hope this helps!

I have a Sarah Maisel made strap. It's fabulous. I also have a plain black Uke Crazy strap. Having a strap button put on the heel was FREE! It fell under the store's "free if under 5 minute" policy. I was a wreck when he put my ukulele in his hands and he made me leave the room while he did the work. But all was fine and I'm so glad I had it done. I love using a strap.

You might want to check out my patented Mobius Strap for true hands-free support without having to drill for strap buttons. Complete information is at http://www.mobiusstrap.com/.

I recently bought a Fremont Strap that I found in a store (http://www.theukulelesite.com/freemont-ukulele-straps.html) and a Hug Strap that I bought from Outdoor Ukulele (http://thehugstrap.com). I may also start installing strap buttons on my ukuleles, but I want to know where I want them before I do so (the bottom button is pretty self-explanatory, but the top button is a potential issue (or even deciding if you should use a top button at all).

My only negatives about the Hug are that you can't switch it to another ukulele very quickly, and that it attaches on the headstock above the nut (as would any button strap with only a bottom button) which can interfere with my hand position on some chords, like B-flat.

So I think you'll find a good option to try here.

Choirguy, have you tried moving it up the headstock? Try placing it between the tuners instead, much less obstructive.

My choices really depend on the instrument.

My vintage Silvertone and Harmony, and my concert Luna all have no strap buttons so I use the Mobius strap. You do need to have the neck somewhat level. Or, I use a piece of rubbery rug underlay between me and the uke back. The rug underlay is an open weave and cost a dollar from Dollar Tree. I have a square piece of it in every uke case as a backup, too.

My sopranos with strap buttons have 2" Franklin cotton straps with leather ends from Musician's Friend - about $12-$15. These are wonderful and adapt to my body shape. I tend to play these sopranos with the neck aimed over my left shoulder, and the strap helps to keep the neck steady. I don't notice it when I play.

My Mainland tenor is the most blingy, so I bought a blingy Levy nylon 2" strap for it. Looks nice, but it is not as flexible as the cotton straps, so I seem to notice it more while I am playing, but it also only had the lower bout button and I tie it to the headstock, so that might be why I notice it. The others are buttoned on at the heel of of neck.

The Outdoor Ukulele works well with just the rubbery rug underlay. That is the cheapest option, so you might want to try something similar before you get strap buttons. Some also use the rubbery shelf liners.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Fremont Strap that I found in a store (http://www.theukulelesite.com/freemont-ukulele-straps.html) and a Hug Strap that I bought from Outdoor Ukulele (http://thehugstrap.com). I may also start installing strap buttons on my ukuleles, but I want to know where I want them before I do so (the bottom button is pretty self-explanatory, but the top button is a potential issue (or even deciding if you should use a top button at all).

My only negatives about the Hug are that you can't switch it to another ukulele very quickly, and that it attaches on the headstock above the nut (as would any button strap with only a bottom button) which can interfere with my hand position on some chords, like B-flat.

So I think you'll find a good option to try here.
You can use the Uke Leash like the Hug Strap, but without the metal hardware, and with plastic quick release buckles.uke_leash_waist_loop.jpg
–Lori

I use the Uke Leash on all of my ukuleles. They work very well and require no modification. Mine are leather and the quality is excellent. Lori is great to deal with too.

I wrote a post on my blog (ukestuff.info)reviewing the Hug Strap and the Uke Leash. Owning both, I would recommend either (both are high quality items made by small business owners). I don't use the leash as originally intended, however...I am using it for the "around the waist of the ukulele" technique. I have a second Uke Leash on the way for the new KoAloha Opio Tenor that I just bought.

Last edited:
I use the Uke Leash on all of my ukuleles. They work very well and require no modification. Mine are leather and the quality is excellent. Lori is great to deal with too.

Another vote for the Uke Leash. It can be used with or without end pins. The thing I like most about them is that I have head stock straps on many of my Ukes and can use one leash and just attach them to the Uke I am playing at the moment.

Keep up the good work Lori.

Top Bottom