Strap Suggestions?

+1 on ukeleash. I have both polypro and leather. Lori's excellent to deal with!

So here's the deal with straps, you complain a lot, until someone gives you one. I have several guitar playing friends, and they buy multiples of everything. So I found an old hippie dippie strap from the eighties in my wife's old guitar case. But it scratched my uke, so I whined about that so much that one of my guitar friends gave me one of the twenty guitar straps that he's bought and never used. Nice red Ernie Ball.

Most of the straps on all of my instruments are home made from cloth belts or leather boot laces or scraps of leather. Whatever works.
A uke is so light, that it doesn't need a wide strap like a guitar or banjo.
ukestraps.jpg
A braided boot lace and an old cloth belt.
strap-huge uke strap.jpg
This is not necessary.

It's about comfort and stability. Everything else is fluff. Although, some straps are prettier than others....

I haven't found anyone I trust locally to put buttons on my uke. I recently got a Kmise A8203 New Style Nylon Classical Ukulele Snap-On Strap Adjustable. It goes around my neck and hooks into the sound hole. I'm wondering now if I got the wrong thing, since no one has mentioned anything like that here, that I noticed anyway. I hope I didn't get something that will damage the uke. I really do need a strap for my baritone. I don't think I could use anything that ties around the head. I tried that on my guitars and hated having something "blocking" the neck of the guitar. I had strap buttons put on everything except the classical, which really didn't need a strap. The strap I got for the uke gives me a nice balance, supports the uke, and stays out of my way.

I haven't found anyone I trust locally to put buttons on my uke.

I don't trust just any luthier with my instruments for major repairs, but, if I wasn't able to do it myself, I would think any music store should have someone who can put a strap button on without damaging your instrument. It's an easier job than changing strings.
I have always done this job myself, from my first guitar in 1960 till my latest tiple about a year ago. I put a piece of masking tape where I want the screw to go and mark a dot where the drill bit starts. I use a bit that's a bit smaller than the screw diameter and tape the bit at the depth I need. If you're just doing one button at the base of the uke, if you go into the end block you will be fine. Putting a button on the heel is not much harder, but if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, take it to a competent person.

Last edited:
Top Bottom