Season 233 - Let's Rock

Thank you for the week, Keith.
This is our version of the Fischer-Z song, The Perfect Day.

Where the bleeding hell are all the electric ukes :D? Let's bring some noise shall we :rock:?!

This week was suprisingly easy for me. It's rough, it's a far cry from perfect, it has Bb chords in it. It's rock and roll!

Played on my own electric uke I built earlier last spring. Sorry for the poor audio quality, couldnt use my mic as I had to use the channels to jury rig an amp, so this is recorded on my cellphone. Adds to the rock and roll :music:!
Cheers!

Let's get some Glimmer Twins in here. What would a rock-and-roll week be without some early Stones?

Well, I've been looking for an excuse to do this one for a while. Getting the main track down wasn't too hard, since I've practiced it quite a lot. Getting the overlapping vocals down without it sounding like a train wreck was well nigh impossible.

Tom Petty, any excuse will do. I wish I'd got Rex's loop pedal but I haven't so I hope I've kept a reasonably steady beat.

This is an original of mine called "Cheshire Cat Moon" that I've somehow never played in the Seasons before. I wrote the music in 1985, and gave it this set of lyrics in 2006. The riff is one of my favorite ones I've ever written. I never thought to play this song using electric effects before, but cml wanted some electric uke, so why not? Reading over the lyrics now, I see that I've gradually drifted from them over the years.

Lyrics:

Certainty lies trembling and exposed
Embrace the mystery, as it was long ago
The mansion on the hillside is crumbling into ruin
I'm standing beneath an autumn sky being taunted by a Cheshire Cat moon

How long does it take to realize you've been wrong?
And how long does it take to make amends
When you can't tell your enemies from your friends?

Push the stones out of place
The building falls, falls right off of its base
I put my money on disharmony and you saw I got full paid
Now I've been looking at the wreckage wondering who else we betrayed

Hear the whistle blow, penny on the tracks
I walked the trestle bridge, that train's not coming back
There's no one left to lend a hand, I'm grasping for some hope
And you could hang your head in shame if I give you enough rope

Draw a bead upon the latest of your misbegotten schemes
It only takes one second's pause to burst it at the seams
Just a chance to make all this real, a chance to make things right
I keep a wary eye on you as you move off through the night

Hanging in the air, the moment looms immense
Pilot to bombardier: Drop all pretense!
I light the fire and watch the smoke start to rise in a plume
The two of us walking our separate ways beneath a laughing, taunting Cheshire Cat moon

How long does it take to right a wrong?
And how long does it take to make amends
To bring about a better end?

The inscription on the monument tells me all I need
I scrape away the key words no one else will ever read
The golden treasures of antiquity now plundered from the tomb
I buried them where you'll never find by the dim glow of a Cheshire Cat moon

heartbreaking song from Warren Zevon's LP, Life'll Kill Ya

Last edited:
McCartney wrote this song when reggae and highlife was starting to become popular in the UK. "John Lennon "openly and vocally detested" the song, calling it Paul's "granny music s**".Lennon came to the studio high on marijuana, went immediately to the piano and played the opening chords louder and faster than before. He claimed that was how the song should be played, and that is the version the Beatles ended up using."
The song was recorded for The Beatles "White Album" in 1968. It was released as a single in many countries that year and was a No.1 single in Austria, Switzerland, Australia and Japan. In the UK and Norway a cover version by the Marmalade also made No.1 in 1969. It was the first time a Scottish Pop band made it to the top of the UK chart. The song was not released by the Beatles in the UK or USA until 1976. - It is said that if you remember the 60's you were not there! The first time any Beatle covered this song live was at a concert in 2009 in Hamburg Germany, over forty years after it had first been recorded.

This is an awesome idea, Let's Rock! How about a little Rolling Stones? Honky Tonk Woman

I'm breaking out a lot of gadgets for this one, I just got a DigiTech Element XP which is playing the drums and making the uke sound rock n roll.

Top Bottom