kala f hole uke, jack socket loose

sandoz

Reaction score
I know this has been posted before and I'm glad that the OP got a solution to their problem. Not quite so lucky for me.

The outside nut can be tightened all the way up to the shoulder where the socket diameter increases. This means that when I have tightened it up as much as possible from the outside there are still 4-5 threads of the thicker part of the socket visible; these should be on the inside.

Picture: IMG_1045.jpg

Any ideas how I can tighten the inside nut? I have tried a jack plug and a screwdriver in the hole to try to hold it at an angle but it just springs back when I let it go.

UPDATE::UPDATE::UPDATE

I managed to get the nut tightened by taking out the preamp. Had some great suggestions on here. Thanks to all who helped.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud.....if you can't get to the inside nut, court you use a larger outside nut or a spacer/washers underneath the current one?

My thoughts would be:

1) Look for another way in - is there a preamp or battery compartment nearby that you can take out to get in from another angle.
2) Use a twisting shuffling technique...
- Pull the socket out until the inner nut is held against the wood.
- keeping the tension on turn the socket 1/4 turn so that the inner nut tightens.
- ease the socket back in and turn it back 1/4 turn.
- repeat as many times as required (if it seems to be getting worse then you're going the wrong way!).

If this is a new ukulele (or recent) and the jack was installed by Kala, I would simply e-mail them and ask if they can fix it.

Along with the new Ziricote tenor, that new flat black arch top with f holes is tempting.

I get this problem with my jazztop, its a fiddly process but I use a tent peg inserted through the F hole to hold the inside nut in place, I also use it to turn the inside nut until it is snug, so that I can tighten the outside nut up, as I said its fiddly but it works for me, hope this helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom