Season 235 - The Monkees!

Learned this just this afternoon - it's not very polished but it is what it is. Tapioca Tundra.

What a way to end the week. I have to tell you that the first car I ever had a personalized plate that said, 'T TUNDRA', because it is one of my favorite Monkees/Nesmith tunes. You really tagged this, really. It's such a fun fun fun song with such great lyrics. I like your da da da's through the bridge. The uke sounds great and you really do the vocals well. Thanks for bringing this and to inspire me to do it. It really ias one of my favorites of all time because the recording is so amazing. Time for me to do a version for the album.

Last edited:
What a way to end the week. I have to tell you that the first car I ever had a personalized plate that said, 'T TUNDRA', because it is one of my favorite Monkees/Nesmith tunes. You really tagged this, really. It's such a fun fun fun song with such great lyrics. I like your da da da's through the bridge. The uke sounds great and you really do the vocals well. Thanks for bringing this and to inspire me to do it. It really ias one of my favorites of all time because the recording is so amazing. Time for me to do a version for the album.
Thanks moons! I picked this song because no one else had done it. Glad to have brought it to your Season. Have you seen this? It might be worth a trip to LA for a true blue Monkees fan!!
https://www.facebook.com/topic/The-Monkees/108382749185425?source=whfrt&position=1&trqid=6322476209356466609

Tear Drop City! Very cool. This is one of those I found off the box set and never heard on any album. It's sort of between the poppy hits and Head. You nailed the riff! It sounds great. I may just need to watch that and learn it. Excellent playing and singing. This isn't an easy, especially rushed. Outstanding performance and playing. Another great and obscure track.

Great 50's atomic style uke too.

Thanks for the great comments, Moons. I probably spent too long practicing the riff and not enough time on the vocals/lyrics. For some reason, each time the chorus came around, I'd either speed up my playing or skip a bar. This is one that I'll likely revisit later. As for the uke - the 'radioactive' Luna is actually my best one (at least for now).

Okay! So, I have been a horrible host by postponing my closing for SOOOO LONG. Well, there is a reason for it, but it didn’t pan out as I had hoped. I saw the Monkees in concert this past weekend in Lincoln City, Oregon. It was an awesome show and even got to meet Micky Dolenz in the hotel bar. I had planned on getting some buttons (pins) for the winner but there were none to be found at the souvenir stand. So, I apologize for that. But, the good news is that everyone is a winner. That’s right, you ALL win. I have created a playlist consisting of all of the original Monkees songs that were performed during week 235. All of the songs can be downloaded from my dropbox. In order to get access to the dropbox folder I will need your email. So, you can email it to me at personal email twentyninemoons@yahoo.com (sorry, my ukuleleunderground box is low on space.)
So, without further ado I would like to list 16 particular performances that stuck out to me. Starting with...

THE WINNERS. These were the videos that followed the true idea of the ‘Monkees Romp’, that fun-filled video that every kid waited for in the middle or end of the episode where the boys just had fun.
First: Bonesigh - Look Out! Here Comes Tomorrow – What fun he had making that. The clips, the cuts. Running around. What fun and a well-played version of one my favorite Davy songs.

Second: Wee Ginga Yi - I'd go the whole wide world – I love a good video along with a great performance. Wee, never fails to impress me.

Third: John Lieber - Steppin' Stone – A ROCKIN’ song with an amazing video. A family affair with great song version.

Third: Linda L. - Take A Giant Step – Amazing performance with backing vocals and fun stair romp in the middle.

Third: Gina S. - I'm A Believer - A great video with lots of highlights from the golden years.

Deep Tracks: These are those songs that your casual fan may not know. You don’t hear these on the classic stations. Boxset, alternate, lost, or just not popular stuff.

TurtleDrum - Early Morning Blues And Greens – A personal request that was awesome.

Rustyy – RainMaker – Not a well-known Monkees track, but more of Nesmith song.

MyrnaUkulele - Tapioca Tundra – A personal favorite of mine written by Mike after their forst live concert.

20OnTheAisle - Daddy's Song – A Nilsson hit off the Head album.

UkeDaddy - I'll spend My Life With You - Alertnate Version – Another personal favorite with the alternate version by a fellow Monkees fan - that’s deep man.

Honorable Mentions: These were the songs that made me smile or just go wow because they were a great video or a deep track or something else. Listed beside them is the category.

JazzBanjoRex - She Makes Me Laugh - VIDEO

Ralf - Circle Sky - VIDEO

Kolibri Uker - Personal Penguin - DEEP TRACK

NanoProph - Tear Drop City - DEEP TRACK

TippyToeToli - When Love Comes Knocking At Your Door - VIDEO

Two Little WoodPeckers (Jon & Joo) - Some Of Shelly's Blues - (Deep Track)

Thank you so very much, Moons! I'm honoured to have one of my performances on your list with such great other performances. And thank you once more for a great great party!
And love the idea of the Monkees playlist!

Congratulations to all!

Greetings,

Thanks SOOO much, I am absolutely honored. I had such fun finding those old clips too and playing them. Congrats to all, and thanks again for hosting. I emailed you my e-mail info.

Ciao
Gina

Why thank you so much 29 :) Very nice to see I got the top spot. I'm honored and thankful. This was a fun week and that video of the Monkees on the beach is really the winner. It's a good one! Funny that I stopped by today cuz I haven't been on much lately. Nice boost me up for the evening. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Thank You so much moons. I too have had life take me away from this place as of late so this was fun to read. I appreciate your mention and win :)

Congratulations everyone. The playlist music is a fab fun thing. Ill get an email in to you moons.

Thank you for a fun season! Enjoyed the entries and the host's insightful comments very much.

Top Bottom