Sammy Hagar cigar box guitar (uke) on Pawn Stars.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I recorded this week's episode of Pawn Stars on the History Channel and a woman brought in what she called a cigar box guitar with Sammy Hagar's signature that her ex-boyfriend left her. As soon as she took it out of the case I said, it's not a guitar, it's a uke, and each time they called it a guitar, I said to the TV screen, no, it's an oo-koo-leh-leh. Then they brought in an expert to appraise it and the first thing he said was it's not a guitar it's an ukulele. I thought it was worth mentioning here.

I do that too when I see such examples. (shout at the TUBE)

BTW: While I find that show entertaining at times, it bothers me that everything that you see on that show is scripted, and staged on a set that is not the actual retail shop of the business.

i understand that 'this is tv' and 'made for tv' but too often folks unaware of these facts accept the 'reality' of this supposed 'reality show' when in fact it is scripted, much like every other show that is not purported as 'cinema verite'

At least they did not call it 'a cute little mini guitar', which I would not put past Chumlee saying when he first saw it.

I've never been interested in a cigar box uke, but that one looked very interesting with the electronics, and according to the appraiser, well made. (The stupidest part of that show is the stuff with Chumlee, poorly written and poorly acted, I skip right past it.)

Never watched that show, but I have a cigar box ukulele and it is a ton of fun. Just curious, how much did the Sammy Hagar siggy uke go for - did they buy it from her?

While I find that show entertaining at times, it bothers me that everything that you see on that show is scripted, and staged on a set that is not the actual retail shop of the business.

i understand that 'this is tv' and 'made for tv' but too often folks unaware of these facts accept the 'reality' of this supposed 'reality show' when in fact it is scripted, much like every other show that is not purported as 'cinema verite'.

I kinda feel like that's on the viewer. I mean, an adult should be aware that a "reality TV" show is no more "real" than an episode of "All My Children." (Is that still on?) Like Duck Dynasty...those guys were all ivy league, clean cut frat boys. It's a put up job.

I am aware Gold & Silver Pawn was a legitimate business before Pawn Stars began airing, but of course the show is edited wildly, scripted and there are 100 producers hand picking the participants, the goods for sale, coaching the players...

You gotta be a rube to fall for that stuff as being real. It's just another form of entertainment. I like the show okay for what it is, incidentally. Particularly Rick's mini history lessons. I never watched it regularly, though, and haven't seen it for some time.

Then again, I also say "yookulele" so what do I know?

Never watched that show, but I have a cigar box ukulele and it is a ton of fun. Just curious, how much did the Sammy Hagar siggy uke go for - did they buy it from her?

The appraiser said with the signature and the quality of the build, about $500-$600. The store bought it for $400.

Then again, I also say "yookulele" so what do I know?

I usually say youkulaylee, but I was having a little fun at the moment.

At our place in PR we have Dish, so we get the History channel. I like Pawn Stars fine, but it seems to me that they just play the same old ones all the time. I'll be back up in the north 48 for three or four months, come back down the PR, and it is the same Pawn Stars reruns. Same with all of them. Pickers. I've been watching the same episodes of American Pickers for three years now.

At our place in PR we have Dish, so we get the History channel. I like Pawn Stars fine, but it seems to me that they just play the same old ones all the time. I'll be back up in the north 48 for three or four months, come back down the PR, and it is the same Pawn Stars reruns. Same with all of them. Pickers. I've been watching the same episodes of American Pickers for three years now.

New shows are running Wednesday nights here in Los Angeles. I love American Pickers.

I just watched the recorded version of that show tonight and I was screaming at the TV too! Finally the music guy said it was an ukulele and even said it the correct Hawaiian way or close. The other interesting thing is that the "case" seemed to have a built in amp, which they never mentioned.

I record the show and some of it is interesting, but those guys, except for Rick are pretty much dumbasses! The advantage of recording is you can skip all the stupid scripted parts. And everytime someone brings something, they have to call somebody in, seems like they could "script" that a little better. I record Pickers too for the same reason, it's interesting sometimes, but Mike's BS gets a little old.

Top Bottom