Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Opinions

Default Music Opinions

What kinda music do you like:

1. To listen to? 1a. Groups?
    2. To play?
    3. To sing?
    4. To talk about on the forum?

I just thought it would interesting to see what other UUers were doin'.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD -
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA -
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Have lotsa fun and good times before ya get old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    1. To listen to? 1a. Groups?
    2. To play?
    3. To sing?
    4. To talk about on the forum?
    1) For listening, I'm all over the place, everything from Beatles/Kinks/Stones to classical to jazz to vintage J-pop and beyond. It's almost easier to narrow down what I *don't* like to listen to: contemporary pop, heavy metal, rap, contemporary country. To illustrate: this week's on-repeat selections have been The Doors' entire discography, and Duke Ellington's piano solos.

2) Instrumentals, which again are all over the place in terms of genre. Classical, standards, older pop in which the melody is strong on its own without having to hear the lyrics.

3) I'm not much of a singer and my joke is always that I can only sing in the Key of Ringo - I don't have a big range so the songs I'll sing are few and far between. Most songs in so-called "women's keys" go too high for me; most songs in so-called men's or people's keys (I'm looking at you, C major) go too low.

4) Can't say I've ever thought about this before, but I do know that the things people usually go ga-ga over on the forum are not to my taste (ukulele shredding and chunking in all their many varieties).

Fun question - looking forward to reading other peoples' answers!
    Last edited by janeray1940; 08-17-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Ya know, I forgot to put down my own opinions--a senior moment I guess.

janeray1940, I pretty much agree with your #1. But my first pick would be folk music then 30s/40s pop then I'd also like to add Opera.

2. Right now I'm playing instrumentals on my banjos and/or other instruments. I'll get to my baritone and eighter Ukes later.

3. I sing and whistle a lot with or without my Ukes. Some people say constantly. I love music, and I'm into it almost all the time. If other people don't enjoy good music, it's their problem.

4. I agree with janeray1940 on this one too. I wish more UUers would talk about music and playing more and less about equipment. The Ukes and strings and straps don't make the music; the ukist does.

Well, I guess I'm an out of step fogey, but there it is.

Nice idea for a thread

1. To listen to: I like lots of different stuff but I guess it all pretty much comes under the 'rock and pop' category. I don't really do jazz (except classic jazz vocal stuff - Billie, Ella, Nina etc.) or classical. I grew up listening to post-punk and alternative rock in the eighties... I was there for grunge man - stood in the front row about five feet away from Kurt Cobain when Nirvana played their first UK dates. I like a lot of sixties stuff - Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Kinks, Dylan, Velvet Underground etc. I like some country and bluegrass stuff (saw Emmylou Harris live in concert when I was about 10 years old, which was about the closest I've ever come to a religious experience ) I like punk. I like some hip hop. And I like blues - mostly Chicago blues.

2. I like playing singery-songery-folksy-ballady stuff, and also blues. The last few things I've been noodling about with are Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren, Dylan's Lay Lady Lay and I Can't Help From Cryin' Sometime by The Staple Singers. I think I like the ballady stuff cos I like playing arpeggios.

3. I like singing blues - it definitely is cathartic (for me anyway).

4. I enjoy talking about music - not meaning the technical aspects but more music appreciation. I would like to see more threads like this
    Last edited by jollyboy; 08-17-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Yeah, jollyboy, me too.

I forgot to add that I like to whistle and sing low down, heart wrenching blues. I make up my own words.

1) What I listen to depends heavily on my mood. It's really very varied, and I frequently go through phases of vastly differing musical preferences. In general, I'll listen to anything, at least once, and I have plenty of co-workers and players (I work in social gaming) who send me YouTube links of songs and new groups that I have never heard of (makes me feel old). Sometimes it's awful, often it's interesting stuff that I then look into more (other songs by the group, sub-genres).

If I had to name genres I really like, I'd say pop and rock of the 1980s and early 1990s (when I was a teenager and technically-but-not-really a fresh adult), electronic music (techno, trance, house, experimental), classic rock of the 1960-70s, African tribal stuff (drums!), instrumental classical music (no singing). What I generally dislike is heavy metal and rap. Rap agitates me, kind of like fingernails on a chalkboard. Also don't like high pitched singing voices, that also gets on my nerves.

2) Anything that actually sounds like a melody. Anything instrumental, really, and preferably classical or even earlier stuff. Music in its more purer form, one could say, from an era before sound was electrified. I always found it odd that I enjoy playing early music on the ukulele, but at the same also really dig endlessly droning, bass-heavy techno stuff. Those are almost exact opposites, and I cherish the contrast.

3) I don't sing.

4) Strangely, I never have much to say about music itself. Playing it, yes. But about the music itself? Not really. I don't talk much about food, either, but could talk about cooking and ingredients. Music is highly individual in my view, and pretty much all opinions and preferences strike me as perfectly and equally as valid, so there is little to debate or even learn, except about groups and songs, but I get fed those on a daily basis already.

I do spend time on forum where people make electronic computer music and post their tracks, and I'll occasionally comment (always with praise only) or look up music created with a particular music software/tracker to see what can be done with it, because I'd like to learn how to do that myself, but it's really like learning an instrument and I currently prefer putting practice time into the stringed instruments instead of spending more time at the computer -- the whole point of learning an acoustic instrument was to get away from computers.

As a Singer/Strummer:

1) I listen to older popular music. I prefer 40's, 50's, mostly soloists, but some early rocker groups, same era

2) I also like to play the same kind of music that I like to listen to, not too many contemporary tunes. Not that they
    are 'bad', I'm simply not familiar with them. Although having 'grown up' in the 60's i'm actually unfamiliar with
    the music of that era (Beatles, Dylan, etc - I don't even know the names of the artists or groups).

3) to me Playing and Singing go together as I don't do much picking out of melodies. Again, not that I'm against it,
    I just prefer to sing and strum

4) I guess I don't get into discussing music, except to work out chord progressions, chord selections (Dm7 vs F, etc).

I use the Forum to check out areas of interest by looking over the newer posts, regardless of category

keep uke'in' everybody,
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@gmail.com )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday Songbook & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com

My music taste is somewhat eclectic, I don't talk about music generally, & I can't sing either.

Blues - Country - Folk - Rock - Skiffle - just to give you some idea.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

1. To listen to? Mixed bag. It all depends on the performer(s). Folk who are tops in their genre can always get my attention.

1a. Groups? Most singers have a top-notch band with them, and the band makes the difference. Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band is a great example.

2. To play? Gulf & Western, 60s/70s Rock, some country/folk.

3. To sing? I have more respect for my neighbor's than to subject them to my singing.

4. To talk about on the forum? Again, mixed bag. It's all fun
    Last edited by SteveZ; 08-18-2016 at 02:18 AM.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    My answer to ALL 4 options is the music in the videos made here on UU by our own fellow UU members (myself included) in the SOTU, a.k.a.

"The Seasons Of The Ukulele"
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...of-the-Ukulele

I have little time for anything else.

I also have no patience for RAP or other 'urban music' and no tolerance for the Bubble-Gum Pop in the radio these days and quite detest most of the Top-40-Pop music I was forced to play as a mobile DJ for 25 yrs, despite having a deep knowledge about it all. It's too formulaic, predictable, and lacking in innovation for me nowadays.

If I never again hear a Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber song, it will not be long enough!!!

If I do have time to LISTEN, lately I've gone back to Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusic, or Dvorak's 'Silent Woods' (Waldesruhe) or any one of a dozen Vivaldi recordings.
    Your post makes me feel that you're a little down, troubled. If so, I hope your day improves. Do somethin' fun, relax.

Thread Information