Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Music Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I thought of using my eighter for a mandolin. What strings would you use?
    Ha, well I'm a cheapskate, so unless they are really abysmal I'll stick with the stock ones. I have no idea what those might be.

As for tunings, assuming I manage to actually make this purchase, I plan to stick with Gg,Cc,ee,aa. I've already relearned some of the old mando pieces on uke. The fourths vs fifths tunings between uke and mando do give slightly different chord voicings, but I'm getting too old to switch around all the time.

I think the 8 string will sound nice for this. On some pieces I even play with a thick jazz guitar pick, on the regular 4 string so far.
    "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

- John Shedd

That's not mandolin tuning. You'd just have an eight string uke. The mandolin is double GDAE, but the Es are very high, so I don't think we could manage it.

I've been lookin' at Mando-Banjos. They're not horribly expensive, and the humidity won't crack and twist 'em. I'm more than sorta interested. Regular mandolins are mostly made of solid wood -- not plywood -- hence less safe and more trouble to own.

I really enjoy getting new instruments. When I come inta some money, i'm gonna fill my mansion with 'em.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD -
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA

Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-C GDA -
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA -
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

You're old when you bump into everything and hafta touch stuff to keep your balance.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    That's not mandolin tuning. You'd just have an eight string uke. The mandolin is double GDAE, but the Es are very high, so I don't think we could manage it.

I've been lookin' at Mando-Banjos. They're not horribly expensive, and the humidity won't crack and twist 'em. I'm more than sorta interested. Regular mandolins are mostly made of solid wood -- not plywood -- hence less safe and more trouble to own.

I really enjoy getting new instruments. When I come inta some money, i'm gonna fill my mansion with 'em.
    Oh yes, I realize the tuning difference. I might be able to tune the 8 like a mando, but I won't bother.

I miss mandolin but just can't do it anymore.

I used to mando-banjo. It was older, needed some help, but I sold it on after making it a decent player because I just played it so rarely.
    "A ship in a harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

- John Shedd

Congrats Dick, I'm struggling to learn the ukulele, play a little harmonica and usen to play piano, IMHO, you re a genious.... and a party by yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by VELARCA View Post
    Congrats Dick, I'm struggling to learn the ukulele, play a little harmonica and usen to play piano, IMHO, you re a genious.... and a party by yourself...
    Well, heck! Thanks, but i'm not a genius. I just love music and studying it.

You're old when you bump into everything and hafta touch stuff to keep your balance.

Ya know, in the past, I would decide to play a new instrument, buy it, learn to play it, get lots of enjoyment playing it, and then go on to somethin' else.

But now, maybe because of my age or maybe because I'm trying to learn stringed instruments rather than wind instruments, my progress is going much slower. Remembering what I've learned is difficult, and lots of what I'm learning (such as chords) is very different from what I'm used to. Sometimes it's a real drag, and I wish I'd never started the change from winds. However, learning to play these instruments is part of the joy of having them.

Yes, it hit me today that struggling with the new info and way of doing things also makes the change interesting and challenging. If it wasn't such a grind, maybe I would have learned strings and gone on to someting else. I'm gonna try to change my attitude and learn to enjoy the struggle too.

This new position makes me feel a bit better about all the repetition and slow progress. Whadayathink?

I always start out by learning to play familiar tunes, then try different ones that I like. Once I've got this far, I'll start looking at the technical side of things.

When I started with the uke, I had very basic knowledge of plucked stringed instruments, so I only picked melodies, one note at a time.

Now, I'm trying to string chords together with a bit of talk or singing along. What I want to achieve on the uke is to play enhanced melodies for myself, & do some songs for the Seasons, instead of just playing a melody, I have goals to achieve.

Likewise, with my harmonicas, I would like to get good enough to be able to play from sheet music. These are goals that I am setting myself, but I'm not rushing them, they'll happen sometime.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & baritone.

From a brain science perspective, if I understand it correctly, it's more healthy to frequently learn new things than to stay in familiar waters. So exploring string instruments rather than sticking to wind instruments was a good call!
    Current main players: Moon Bird concert and Barron River tenor. My other ukes are listed on my profile page.

Thread Information