Music Opinions

Overall on UU, there seems to be relatively little discussion at all on any genre; most threads being more instrument-centric than genre-relevant.

Good point... it's interesting, now that I think about it the topic of Hawaiian music used to come up a lot more a few years back. I miss discussions like this one!

I'm going to take a wild guess that in the years since I joined UU, the appeal of the uke has become even more global, and the use of the uke to play "music" rather than "Hawaiian music" - any and all music - has grown. Which I guess is a good thing :)

I'll agree with the above about the uke being more global, it has become 'respectable' as an instrument in its own right, especially the tenor & baritone, which is a good thing. :)

The days of it being associated with George Formby & Tiny Tim are almost over. :D

I'll agree with the above about the uke being more global, it has become 'respectable' as an instrument in its own right, especially the tenor & baritone, which is a good thing. :)

I'm not sure if the surge of the tenor (and baritone, but it isn't very popular) isn't tied to the guitar (and its sound having been omnipresent in the past five or six decades) and people today being more mobile and lightweight in their lifestyle choices.

A lot of the mainstream ukulele attention seems to be focused on videos and performances where the ukulele is used to play guitar pieces, not unique music that takes advantage of its size and sound abilities. Comments seem to often focus on "Wow, never knew that could be played even on a ukulele!", which is fundamentally the same reason why Tiny Tim got widespread attention (doing something unusual). Jake is a shredder, and that is perfectly fine, but nearly everything he plays could be done as well, if not better, on six strings. But that doesn't get attention because a guitar isn't small and exotic and thought of as limited.

I feel that musicians like Roy Smeck and John King did more for the ukulele (and its respectability) than those who rock on a tenor like guitarists. That doesn't mean I don't admire them, or want to lower their contribution to the ukulele having become popular again, but I see it more as pulp fiction than Pulitzer winning hardcover novel.

I find soprano singing voices to be irritating, but I also don't claim to have a refined taste. What IS refined taste anyway?

Music, to me, is like food: I stuff it in my mouth (or in my ears, respectively), and I either go "Mmhm!" or I go "Yuck!", and that determines whether or not I like it and whether or not I want more of it. It's really as simple as that for me. This is entirely independent of intellectual aspects. I know that opera music is frequently complex, I know that it requires a lot of skill on the part of the performers, and I acknowledge that it is culturally deeply embedded. But I still don't enjoy it, at least for the most part. If that makes me a musically brute, so be it. I can live with that.

When I was in elementary school, in the late 1970s, I had an extraordinary teacher. She was a tough one, and in some ways I felt, even more so in retrospect, that she was a relic that had come straight out of the Third Reich (which she had, that was when she had been a young teacher). I was frequently at odds with her (and was punished for my refusal to shut up when it would have served me well with having to sit with the Turkish kids in the back, who in turn I befriended and got to meet their families), but she did one thing no other teacher did: she often took the class to historical and cultural places, and she took us to the state opera house in Mannheim (German city).

So before I was even a teenager, I had experienced operas like The Magic Flute, Madame Butterfly, Hänsel and Gretel, and so forth. It was very impressive, different from what I had seen and known, a stark contrast to the pop music I was used to (nobody in my family listened to classical music). If not for her, I would probably still not have seen those operas. The atmosphere was tight, magical even. I liked the instrumental aspects, too, the many different instruments playing together. But the high pitched voices were painful in my ears, and I still feel that way some thirty-five years later.

It reminds me of my deaf great-grandmother who would bake fantastic stuff like only grannies do, but she had the annoying habit of putting succade into everything she made. Succade was inescapable in her household, just like that jasmine scent diffuser she had in her bathroom. It ruined everything, and I'd always pick it out of the cake and the dumplings. Soprano voices in operas are like succade in cookies for me.

Mivo I missed this post of yours before. You are a guy aren't you. I think that's partly why you may not like soprano voices so much. I think its partly becuase I"m a female singer, that it has taken me longer to appreciate male opera voices and for all of them i would say they are much easier to appreciate when live. I think only the very greatest opera voices are easy to like instantly for the average person from a you tube clip. And below i give you two.

Also I would say, don't cling to the opinions you formed as a child. You could go and freshen up your views. Its like people who ate mushrooms as a child and decided they didn't like them for the rest of their lives so they never tried them again. Tastes change. But when it comes to opera, its meant to be experienced live.

Not every opera is great. Not every opera singer has a stunning voice. And the more you have to do with a genre or something, i think the more easy it is to appreciate it. Since i have taken up singing lessons, I am much more sympathetic and appreciate the nuances much more now than previously. Also i find the songs often need some familiarity in them for me to really enjoy.

These are two of the three solos i learnt last year. I love them. Of course i don't sound anywhere near this wonderful.
[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tiyDiIo4dg"][/URL]This first one is Dame Emma Kirkby. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0ScF0qzBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU-a1aqXAcY Teresa Berganza is a famous Spanish opera singer.

Men can and do often sing these same songs but I must admit, i prefer the female versions.

Last edited:
I'm not a current pop fan and honestly can't listen to pop stations that seem to play the same 12 songs over and over. There's something wrong with a station if you can hear the same song replayed in less than 2 hours time. I find the mass majority of the kind of stuff they play there little more than dreck. Of course, there are always exceptions. There's nothing deep or remotely profound or meaningful about this song but the first time I heard it, I thought it was fantastic. (Though like many songs, it's probably over played.) The first time I heard it was this performance on SNL. Maybe it was because the band was so hot. Maybe it was the swagger and bravado of the singers. Maybe it was the choreography/dancing. Maybe it was the singing but it's most likely a marriage of all the above. In any event, a good pop song doesn't necessarily have to be very deep or have a message to be a good song. You kinda have to judge them on a song to song basis and not be so quick to dismiss a genre in general. (Though in my case, the number of current pop songs I like are definitely a minority percentage of the total pop pool.)

I completely agree with you Mike. Here's another one I think you all "should" like. Its really lovely. Its a bit old now but its an interesting song and good male vocals. The first time i heard this was this year with a girl singing it on the voice for her blind audition and I was really moved then too.

Sorry for posting two in a row but i think its relevant ... I hope you enjoy

Here's Cynthia lin doing it on ukulele.

I always knew in the back of my mind that the ukulele was a Hawaiian instrument, but when I discovered the ukulele and started playing it, I did not think of it as a Hawaiian instrument. To me it is just a fun instrument, easier than a guitar to haul around, and it is versatile enough to play just about anything. Anyway, since taking up the ukulele, I've listened to some Hawaiian music, thinking that Hawaiian music might open up a whole new world of music to me, but I can't say that it inspires me to play it. Frankly, we have a Hawaiian music station on the radio, and almost everything is dominated by slack key, it sound to me. I also have no desire to make the pilgrimage to Hawaii to experience the roots of ukuleledom, nor do I pine to own a genuine Hawaiian made uke.

I completely agree with you Mike. Here's another one I think you all "should" like. Its really lovely. Its a bit old now but its an interesting song and good male vocals. The first time i heard this was this year with a girl singing it on the voice for her blind audition and I was really moved then too.

"Creep" is a good song. It has substance and depth and it really captures an angst that a lot of people can relate to on one level or another. While I can't quite relate on the same level as the person portrayed in the song, growing up I often felt insecurities and low self esteem and often questioned how and where I fit in. And at some point in their life, what guy can't say that he got hung up on a girl who was out of his reach for whatever reason? Creep could easily have been an ordinary song but I think they tapped into a relateable nerve when they wrote and performed it.

AndieZ, THANK YOU for that link to Jaroussky and Colell performing "Amarilli, mia bella". What an enthralling performance!

"Amarilli, mia bella" was the first piece I worked on when I began learning to sing, but I was not made aware of that recording until I read your post.

Last edited:
I really appreciate that a few of you have watched some of those clips because often i get the idea here that people don't look at the links or clips i post. Its hard to know when there's no comment but anyway.

Dick, i usually listen to that original in my ipod and it sounds better than it looks for me. The more i listen to that guy, the more i appreciate the sensitivity in his voice. And Cynthia can't help being sensitive.

Glad you loved that David, I love this guy's singing and videos. He's real star in the classical music world. I've watched lots of his videos and its all beautiful. He was originally a violinist.

Yeah Mike, i think a lot of people can identify with the ideas in that song. What is surprising is that women are singing it because don't usually think of ourselves as creeps. But for sure, we often enough think of ourselves as ugly and so on.

It seems like no one liked Emma and Teresa. :-(. I guess you can't win every one over to your own taste.

What kinda music do you like:

1. To listen to? 1a. Groups?
2. To play?
3. To sing?
4. To talk about on the forum?

I just thought it would interesting to see what other UUers were doin'. :eek:ld:

Good idea for a thread Dick. It's always interesting to hear what other ukulele players like, I learn a lot this way.

1. Bluegrass and Classical 1a. Johnson Mountain Boys, Del McCoury Band. Composers: Vivaldi, Greig, Bach, Mozart.....
2. My #1s are too hard to play, so I like to play Baroque, and other fingerstyle genres.
3. Irish folk tunes, by far.
4. I hardly talk about it here, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Good picks, Nickie. And as for #4; I love to talk about the music I like (or don't like), and I love to talk about English Literature over a good ale or two.
:eek:ld:

It is surprising how much good music there is that came along after the eighties. Just saying.

I've been wondering for a long time what those UUers who play classical music play. Bach's "Minuet In G Major" is pretty easy, and Dvorak's (?) "Humoreske" is easy too and a common beginner's piece. Or do you play more challenging pieces--concertos, sonatas or what.

I'm very interested in this. I keep picturing a ukist standing up in front of the New York Symphony plinking away. :eek:ld:

I've been wondering for a long time what those UUers who play classical music play. Bach's "Minuet In G Major" is pretty easy, and Dvorak's (?) "Humoreske" is easy too and a common beginner's piece. Or do you play more challenging pieces--concertos, sonatas or what.

I'm very interested in this. I keep picturing a ukist standing up in front of the New York Symphony plinking away. :eek:ld:

I love that image you keep picturing :)

Minuet in G was the first classical piece I learned on uke. The second movement of Mozart's Piano Sonata in C was next. Then I started making my way through the John King Classical Ukulele book, and Tony Mizen's book - mostly working on the easier pieces but eventually I plan to take on Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 Prelude, which is probably in my my top 10 favorite pieces of music of any genre. My skill level is nowhere close at this point though!

Playing straight fingerpicking without chords from memory makes many pieces easy for me. I guess mebbe I could throw in a few chords here and there too. But, playing double strings, etc. like violins would probably break all my strings and explode my Uke.

King is only playing the melody line, but very nicely indeed--however, no harmony or (thank God) chords).

I'm mostly just wondering how far Ukists are really into virtuosity or just playing melodies. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Top Bottom