Music Opinions

On the subject of Americana I'm going to put a vote in for my favourite alt.country band Giant Sand, who are still going strong (I think, I hope). Fronted by the inimicable Howe Gelb.

Last edited:
I like quite a lot of hip hop stuff. I think that there are some very talented rappers and I think that hip hop has an energy similar to punk rock - and similarly it has given a voice to a generation of disaffected youth. I won't defend the machismo but I would suggest that there are understandable sociohistorical reasons why young black men might feel a need to assert themselves through bravado and male posturing. And you can trace this type of thing all the way back to blues and r'n'b - in songs like Mannish Boy and I'm A Man and many others. FYI: I'm certainly not suggesting that misogynistic lyrics are okay.

As for the adult language - maybe I've just got a thick skin in that regard. I worked as a professional chef for many years and have heard a great deal of profanity in my time. It doesn't really bother me and, in fact, I feel it suits the gritty, urban nature of the hip hop genre.

As usual, you make some good points jollyboy! And really it's not the profanity per se that bothers me (I'm a bit of a potty mouth myself if the occasion calls for it!) but how much of it is directed in a violent or misogynistic direction. I especially hate the "B" word which seems to be pretty prominent in rap/hip hop culture.

Also, there are some great female hip hop artists (this song may or may not contain profanity - I can't remember for sure :)):

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing a few of your Americana recommendations. I've got mixed feelings toward this genre - while I really enjoy the original roots of it (old country, old blues, rockabilly, etc.) I find a lot of the contemporary lyrics and themes to seem kind of false in this day and age. I mean, here in Los Angeles I know a few performers in that genre, and it's kinda hard for me to listen to them portraying nostalgic themes when I know that when the show is over they're going to be checking their Twitter analytics :)

These ladies have a fresh take on old Americana. Great harmony too.

R. Crumb of underground comics fame and His Cheap Suit Serenaders. Just let the YouTube string of their songs flow, it's great stuff!

I don't know anything about Americana, but I surely like Carolina Chocolate Drops. I listen to 'em on YouTube. :eek:ld:

This side of the pond Americana seems to cover country - particularly old time country, N. American Folk (traditional & contemporary) N. American singer/songwriters and blues. I suspect our definition might be a bit wider than on your side of the pond as we are playing your music and that's largely what Americana is about here. There's a local Americana open mic here twice a month; acoustic one night, plugged in the other. I don't go to it myself but know quite a few of the folk who do as I meet them at other open mics and folk clubs.

This side of the pond Americana seems to cover country - particularly old time country, N. American Folk (traditional & contemporary) N. American singer/songwriters and blues. I suspect our definition might be a bit wider than on your side of the pond as we are playing your music and that's largely what Americana is about here. There's a local Americana open mic here twice a month; acoustic one night, plugged in the other. I don't go to it myself but know quite a few of the folk who do as I meet them at other open mics and folk clubs.

Especially interesting considering that most of "Americana" has roots from your side of the pond.

There's always somebody worse off than yourself, & I reckon the blues reminds us in some kind of way of that fact, consciously or not. :)

Nah! It's not so much the words, though they're sometimes as you say. But it's the soul stirring feelings that I find very "filling". Some music is more than what one hears.

Sometimes I really get into it. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Maybe it's the "blue" notes that make it sound so "cool". Anyway, it's a very relaxing, satisfying feeling. Sorta like Bossa Nova makes me feel.

It's interesting how music can provide so many feelings. Marching Band music excites me. I find folk music very interesting to play and study. Minor keyed music like Klezmer makes me feel like clapping or dancing -- or crying. The only folk music I don't care for is Spanish Flamenco. It makes me itchy, and I "feel" the need to turn it off.

Nothin' like some music that you're really diggin' and a glass of somethin' good. :cheers: :eek:ld:

Top Bottom