Gotoh UKB friction tuners

...kinda figured that would garner varying opinions amongst the village folk. No doubt I will turn to a strap when that time comes, but learning the way the old-timers did has a certain fond nostalgia to it. 23 skidoo and a razzmatazz.

...kinda figured that would garner varying opinions amongst the village folk. No doubt I will turn to a strap when that time comes, but learning the way the old-timers did has a certain fond nostalgia to it. 23 skidoo and a razzmatazz.

If you are a beginner, there is enough friction in learning anyway, unless you are a savant, autodidact or perfect mimic, that I would often recommend any useful tool that can ease that friction, and then later, when confident, one can venture out and expand the skill-set.

I found it easier to start with a strap, and often, if it is only going to be a short session, do not bother much with the strap, unless recording or making a video when I need the be spot-on and dont want to do 40 takes to 'get it right'.

But like I said, you can do what works for you. The traditionalists and the old-fashioned ways sometimes are better left in the past, especially if there is new technology or new thinking that can streamline things. I'm not saying to disrespect the history, as one can still have reverence while moving forward and using all the currently available tools and methods.

Some folks LOVE friction tuners, OTOH, I do NOT. We are BOTH correct. We can BOTH be happy. Same thing with straps, etc...

Nobody has to be wrong for another person to be right here, is all I'm trying to say. Folks that put you down for your choices, are in fact themselves either misinformed or uninformed and should not have such deep influence on us. I'm rambling now, so that's my cue...

Last edited:
Point well made and advice taken. Thanks, Booli.

Any time :cool: and I am glad to help.

Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in what we are doing that we lose the fact that there is more than one path that leads to the end result. Yes, I fully admit that it happens to me sometimes.

I am just happy to share my own experience in the hope that others can benefit from the information.

It is given unconditionally since many folks have helped me here on UU over the past 3.5 yrs and I like to 'pay-it-forward'. :)

There is an option that looks like a friction peg, but is a 4:1 geared tuner. They are called PEGHEDS. Yes, I am a worldwide distributor, so I am not impartial, even though I went from user to distributor rather than distributor to user. www.pegheds.com is the maker's website. www.ukeeku.com did a review of the product. They are either all black and really look like old wooden pegs or are chrome plated shaft with grips that look like ivory.

CC, how much do they weigh compared to reg pegs, and in my case anyway, what hole size is required in the headstock?

I just read the www.ukeeku.com review of PEGHEDS,,, which he spells PegHeds,,, he compares their weight as 0.20 oz. that means four of them would weigh 0.80 or in plain speak, all four of them weigh less than an ounce.. They do require a tapered hole with the top of the hole at 8.5 mm. The new chrome plated shafts with ivoroid grips come in 8-9-10 mm diameters. I am amazed at the size of some of the craters. My Oscar Schmidt copy of the Lyon and Healy Bell had 12mm holes.I found the next largest size dowel rod and glued them in the existing hole drilled out to that size, then rebored for the 8.5mm units with a 30:1 tapering tool. I practice on another piece of wood as hard as what I have for the headstock or the insert before I go boring on the ukulele.

Found a really super easy and unique way to adapt my Grovers to fit!
Yes, I did take back the juniors and got the 6B's instead. They fit better but still not great. The drilled peghead hole is 3/8 inch. Far larger for even the new Grovers to fit. What I did was look for a shim of sorts to fill the hole and create a new tuner hole size. I found that "shim" in the form of a bastardized Office Depot highlighter pen. If I knew how to post pictures from my iPhone, I'd send y'all the procedure and end results. Suffice to say, it worked!

Last edited:
Top Bottom