Uke strings came mixed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajesson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently ordered D'Addario Nyltech soprano ukulele strings to replace the old (Aquila? I think) strings on my uke. I strung them all on one by one so I'm sure I didn't mix up any of the strings, and I'm absolutely positive I got them in the correct order, but the thicknesses are way off what D'Addario reports they should be on the package. The strings in order of the thickness the package claims they are: 1(A), 4(G), 2(E), and 3(C). However, with the strings I received the thickest is quite clearly the one that they claimed to be the 4th string, followed by the 3rd, 2nd, then 1st. I strung up with them anyways and found that I had to have the tension ridiculously high to get anywhere near a G with the string they claimed should be the 4th string. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Should I try to re-string with them in the order (by thickness) that they are supposed to be?

Could it be a low-G set? The G string, if unwound, would then be the thickest of the four. Is there a product number on the package? Any links to it, or photos?

No, it's definitely a high G. I made sure of that when I ordered. I'll try to send a picture of the back of the pack they came in, but all the measurements I got were directly off the unopened package I received the strings in, which claims that G is the second thinnest string. I am restringing now with them according to their thickness, hopefully that works.

IMG_20160820_165302.jpg

That's the back of the package (hopefully the attachment worked)

the 4th string(G) is the top string right....and the 1st string(A) is the bottom string...just checking if you have the strings on the wrong way top to bottom
...:)

Last edited:
Hmm, yes, the first and fourth strings should be very similar. The fourth one being thicker than them all does make me wonder if you got a faulty package, with either the strings simply being the wrong set or them being in the wrong sleeves. Personally, I'd check with the vendor where you bought them. If you do want to use them, I'd use them in the order of thickness (from 4th to 1st: G second thinnest, C thickest, E second thickest, A thinnest).

Oh yes, like Hawaii 50 wrote, make sure you got the order right. When you hold the ukulele in a right-handed playing position (the back against your chest, the neck pointing to the left), the 4th string is the one closest to your nose, the 1st string the one closest to the floor).

Last edited:
Just finished restringing (again). Waiting for the strings to settle a little, especially after being restrung twice, but it's looking good, I got a high G with decent tension. Weird that should happen though, I'm positive I didn't mix up any of the packages because I'm super paranoid about these things, and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

Yes hawaii 50 I got the order right :) When I had it all strung up I checked on that in a fit of worry, but I did have the order right... even if I did get that backwards, though, the thickest would still have been on one end and not one of the middle two, which would still be wrong. Confused how this happened but hopefully it's fixed now :/

I've received wrongly marked strings. I've also received strings that were mixed up as to their running order. Not common...........but does happens on rare occasions.

Update: All seems well now! Thanks everybody for the advice. Time for me to go enjoy my new strings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom