Fret markers

I'm installing side markers on 'Red' this weekend. I bought a couple of hundred small copper rivets from eBay for a couple of dollars. I'll hand drill, cut the rivets (a few of), glue them in and file them down. Should go nicely with the copper inlay I did on the fretboard.

Done.

gqPdXRx.jpg

Just needs a light touch with sandpaper then steel wool.

That looks great, Dan

I'm installing side markers on 'Red' this weekend. I bought a couple of hundred small copper rivets from eBay for a couple of dollars. I'll hand drill, cut the rivets (a few of), glue them in and file them down. Should go nicely with the copper inlay I did on the fretboard.

With your inspiration, I did a search for chrome rivets, which is the color I want to match all the chrome screw heads I have on my custom mini bass, but came upon FastDecals.com and their sheet of vinyl self stick die cut 1/8" stickers with a faux chrome finish, sheet of 50 for $20. I ordered one.

I ordered the smallest Jokomo stickers I could find on the site, and they were still too big. They were supposedly 2mm, but if so, on the large side of 2mm.

LOL! After all of this, and after the fret markers arrived, I was looking at the maker's website and saw that any modifications to the uke would void the warranty. I guess I should check with them to see if putting this type of marker on the uke would be considered a modification before I do it.

Just looked and I think the smallest they do is 3mm. (I bought an abalone rosette from them, not dots).

Yep, the ones I got are more like 3mm, but at the time the listing said 2mm—I remember measuring the sizes of my existing markers prior to ordering.

The ones I got after that came from Rosette Guitar Products, through an eBay listing, I believe. Nice and tiny.

LOL! After all of this, and after the fret markers arrived, I was looking at the maker's website and saw that any modifications to the uke would void the warranty. I guess I should check with them to see if putting this type of marker on the uke would be considered a modification before I do it.

Like I said before, a white or silver SHARPIE marker is your friend, if/when it rubs off, then just re-apply, and if needed for total removal, rubbing alcohol, i.e. 'isopropyl alcohol' is a natural solvent for this marker's ink.

Like I said before, a white or silver SHARPIE marker is your friend, if/when it rubs off, then just re-apply, and if needed for total removal, rubbing alcohol, i.e. 'isopropyl alcohol' is a natural solvent for this marker's ink.

Since I have these now I'll use them, but I think I'll also add a white or silver sharpie to my next amazon order. Some people have said these will wear off, so I can be prepared for that.

Since I have these now I'll use them, but I think I'll also add a white or silver sharpie to my next amazon order. Some people have said these will wear off, so I can be prepared for that.

yes, they will eventually wear off, but you can buy a box or multi-pack of white or silver Sharpies starting at $3 (click here), and as long as the cap is kept on, they marker will not dry out and if you are careful and go slow, it might take you all of 10 mins to draw new dots on the side edge of the fretboard. I think now they also have glow-in-the-dark Sharpies too.

yes, they will eventually wear off, but you can buy a box or multi-pack of white or silver Sharpies starting at $3 (click here), and as long as the cap is kept on, they marker will not dry out and if you are careful and go slow, it might take you all of 10 mins to draw new dots on the side edge of the fretboard. I think now they also have glow-in-the-dark Sharpies too.

Looks like there are several different kinds of Sharpies--permanent, water based, oil based. Which are you using or do you think it matters?

Looks like there are several different kinds of Sharpies--permanent, water based, oil based. Which are you using or do you think it matters?

I will have to get back to you on that as I do not have the one I've used handy right now.

Top Bottom