The Hidden Strings

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
When you are fingerpicking, using music/tabs, do you have trouble finding the correct string to fret? And do you have trouble finding the correct string to pick? Like, the same one that you are fretting.

I had a similar co-ordination problem when I was trying to learn the piano (keyboard). Both hands wanted to play the same thing. Finally, I decided to play one (right) handed only, and now I mostly use the kb to workout melodies, etc.

I'm getting better at finding the strings, but it's a painfully slow process. :eek:ld:

This is actually one of the reasons why I like stringed instruments: both hands do something different, which makes it a little easier for me. When I played organ as a teen, and later a kalimba (thumb piano), both only superficially, I had trouble with both hands doing something very similar, yet different. With the uke, the tasks are different enough for me to not get confused completely, I still do find it difficult when both left and right hand activities require concentration while also trying to keep the rhythm. I found it helpful to practice both activities separately and then eventually try to combine them. But yes, it's a challenge.

Having been thumb picking since I joined/bought my first uke last December, it gets easier the more you do it, especially if you only use one size of uke. :)

I have soprano, long neck soprano, concert, tenor & baritone ukes, & go between using them, yes, I hit the wrong string occasionally, but not as often as when I first started playing. ;)

You could try the pima formula, or what is commonly known as thumb, index, middle & ring fingers on each separate string, (like when playing arpeggio strums).

EDIT: Plus, if you haven't found it already, practice your left hand by fretting the first four frets of each string sequentially in both directions, i.e. first string four frets, second string four frets, third string four frets, fourth string four frets, then go backwards, it helps to loosen up your fretting hand.

Last edited:
uke1950, I play lots of scales and arpeggios and made up exercises, but then, when I'm reading music, my fingers sometimes seem to get lost. If I'm playing without music, things are mostly better.

Do you look at your fingers much? I have a habit of becoming spellbound by the music, but, on my other instruments, my fingers know what to do.

I guess being uncoordinated is another old age gift. :eek:ld:

When I'm trying to pick a melody line - something of I've only really dabbled with up to now - I mostly have trouble finding the right finger :p

I've gotten into the habit of mainly playing arpeggios and seem to have settled into using 'alternate' fingering ie. my thumb alternates between strings 3 and 4, with index on 2 and middle on 1. When attempting to play melodies I try to keep to this fingering for the sake of consistency but often my thumb wanders about, seemingly with a mind of its own.

Also, it takes me a while to figure out which fingers to use for fretting notes when following tab, at least when things start moving up the neck.

Last edited:
When I'm trying to pick a melody line - something of I've only really dabbled with up to now - I mostly have trouble finding the right finger :p

I've gotten into the habit of mainly playing arpeggios and seem to have settled into using 'alternate' fingering ie. my thumb alternates between strings 3 and 4, with index on 2 and ring on 1. When attempting to play melodies I try to keep to this fingering for the sake of consistency but often my thumb wanders about, seemingly with a mind of its own.

Also, it takes me a while to figure out which fingers to use for fretting notes when following tab, at least when things start moving up the neck.

I learned to fret the first 2 frets with the index, the 3rd with the middle, the 4th with the ring and the 5th with pinky, but I guess it depends on the scale you're playing. I use those fingers most of the time though.

To pick I use the thumb mostly for 4 and 3, middle for 2 and index for 1. But really I like to use thumb for all, depending on what I'm playing.

That is, of course, if my fingers can locate the correct strings! :eek:ld:

I learned to fret the first 2 frets with the index, the 3rd with the middle, the 4th with the ring and the 5th with pinky, but I guess it depends on the scale you're playing. I use those fingers most of the time though.

When picking a melody and fretting at the first four frets I use index for 1st fret, middle for 2nd, ring for 3rd and pinkie for 4th, same as if I was fretting 1st position chords.

It's when things start moving up the neck that I start to get confused.

I'm sure that someone who has been a melody player for a while can read tab and quickly 'get' it - I have to slowly decipher it and then the fretting is mostly trial-and-error.

Last edited:
When picking a melody and fretting at the first four frets I use index for 1st fret, middle for 2nd, ring for 3rd and pinkie for 4th, same as if I was fretting 1st position chords.

It's when things start moving up the neck that I start to get confused.

I'm sure that someone who has been a melody player for a while can read tab and quickly 'get' it - I have to slowly decipher it and then the fretting is mostly trial-and-error.

Yeah, I guess I'm almost the same, and I also have trouble up the neck. But I don't pick up there much. :eek:ld:

Had to think about that, yes, I do look whilst fretting, most of the time, but I think that's because I play different (uke) scales, if I've been playing one scale for a week or two my fingers get to know how far to move, & I don't look so much.

I hear what you are saying brother DUD. When I am learning a new finger picking or chord melody piece I seem somewhat brain dead. It is like my eyes see the tabs on the sheet but my brain completely forgots where those places are on the fret board. Maybe my fingers are the dumb culprits, stubborn old digits.

Once I have run through a piece a number of times and start memorizing chunks of it muscle memory kicks in and it becomes much easier. "Solorule" is a friend and neighbor and she can sight read like a master. She came over to my house looked at a piece I had been struggling with for days and just blew through ot like she had played it for years. She makes me very mad, lol.

I hear what you are saying brother DUD. When I am learning a new finger picking or chord melody piece I seem somewhat brain dead. It is like my eyes see the tabs on the sheet but my brain completely forgots where those places are on the fret board. Maybe my fingers are the dumb culprits, stubborn old digits.

Once I have run through a piece a number of times and start memorizing chunks of it muscle memory kicks in and it becomes much easier. "Solorule" is a friend and neighbor and she can sight read like a master. She came over to my house looked at a piece I had been struggling with for days and just blew through ot like she had played it for years. She makes me very mad, lol.

No wonder you have been ignoring me about visiting you tomorrow.
You ignored my email about a new Camsuke song too!
Thank you for the compliment , my eyes are just a little faster !
Fingers exercise book will improve sight read.
I also look at the sheet music and follow the MP3 , eventually your eyes know exactly where are the notes!

Last edited:

Yeah, DUD1, that's what I do too, when my fingers cooperate. I think by the time I memorize the tune (if I do), I can watch my fingers and things are better. But at this speed, I'll be 95 and know 3 tunes by heart.

But, if I just shut up and play using the music/tabs, then I get all fumble fingered--Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

Top Bottom