B Song

pabrizzer

Reaction score
OK had 10 responses to A Song and my aim is to go through all the keys and end up with a forthight for any #s and bs.
So
Song title must start with B.
Song must be performed in the key of B or Bm.
Song must be less than 3 minutes long.
Song must be newly recorded for this contest.

There are still lots of musts there.
There will be a ridiculously inexpensive and trivial prize.

I'd rather you stay in standard tuning and didn't resort to capos but will not turn any entries away.

Challenge last 2 weeks.

B Song Playlist

Last edited:
I thought that might be what you were up to. :)

I'm a bit thick, what's the plan for sharps and flats?

my aim is to go through all the keys and end up with a forthight for any #s and bs.

I read into that that there will be 7 normal key sessions & one only for keys of sharps or flats, making 8 fortnights worth of challenges. :)

Edit: Had to edit this a couple of times because I couldn't count. ;)

Last edited:
Hey Pa, this looks like fun! Just to clarify; the song must be performed in the key of B or Bm but the original recording of the song can be in any key?

Last edited:
I thought that might be what you were up to. :)

I'm a bit thick, what's the plan for sharps and flats?

Keith has it spot on below V
I read into that that there will be 7 normal key sessions & one only for keys of sharps or flats, making 8 fortnights worth of challenges. :)
Yep that's what I plan to do if there is enough interest Keith. The Sharps and Flats fortnight would be any key sharp or flat and I'll think on something for the song title or lyrics.

Hey Pa, this looks like fun! Just to clarify; the song must be performed in the key of B or Bm but the original recording of the song can be in any key?

Yes that's it Sean.
The song is to be performed in the key of B or Bm but the original may of course have been in any key which means you may have to transpose it into B or Bm.

Great! This will get me out of my Great American Songbook and '30s novelty songs rut... Ladies and Gentlemen prepare yourselves for some '70s disco! :cool:

p.s. Drat! I forgot, it doesn't begin with a 'B'. 'B'ack to the drawing board...

Last edited:
Well, this is a pig of a key isn't it? All those simple 3 chord songs (even if they begin with B) are suddenly a bit tricky.

And what's that sound in the distance? Probably several Ramones spinning in their graves...

Practiced a song all day yesterday. It wasn't till evening that I realized it was the wrong key. Kinda glad that happened. Ive been wanting to do this song for a long while. Even though I was familiar with the song I never anticipated doing all the picking which I found to be quite fun :)

Thanks for the challenge!

Some great songs and great performances as well! Thanks for sharing. . .

The published key is Eb, my uke is tuned FBbDG, so I just transposed down a whole step to get to the key of B. I just barely managed to squeak in under the 3 minute limit.

This song was inspired by the recent news that Lucy the Australopithecus died by falling from a tall tree. :)

Bad things happen
(Lucy From the Sky With Multiple Fractures)

Bm D | F#m G (x4)
Em Bm | G A (x4)

Bad things happen to everybody
It's been that way since Lucy fell from the tree
A monkey slips the fossil record skips
From Creation to Apocalypse

Lady Louise, she’s Queen of the bees
Winter comes all the boys will freeze
Flowers Bloom Fledglings learn to fly
Each new thing that’s born urges us to die

It don’t matter what you do or what you say
Bad things happen anyway
Bad things are gonna happen anyway

Dj-us Ex Machina pounding out the grooves
Out on the floor the clumsy monkey makes her move
And you can dance with any monkey you meet
Life is sweet in the space between the beats

Bad things happen anyway
Bad things are gonna happen anyway

Apologies for not having time to record an entry for this one, but thanks regardless to Pabrizzer for setting it, as I found an arrangement of "Bring me Sunshine" actually published in the key of B major, which has much richer chords than the one I'm used to playing. I'll carry on practising it so I can add it to my repertoire. I'll see now if I can find something in Cm.

Apologies for not having time to record an entry for this one, but thanks regardless to Pabrizzer for setting it, as I found an arrangement of "Bring me Sunshine" actually published in the key of B major, which has much richer chords than the one I'm used to playing. I'll carry on practising it so I can add it to my repertoire. I'll see now if I can find something in Cm.

I missed seeing something from you Jim.
Happy for you to add it if you wish - I'll do the draw for that very desirable cap in a couple of days.

Top Bottom