Who uses a pick to play uke?

I tried some times to play the pick when I played bass... but I was never able to do it properly and I did not like the sound that produced so I never put much effort in learning.
I never tried to use a pick on uke... but I personally find fingers the perfect tool to give all notes the right "expression" ( I really don't know the terminology... in italian we say "il colore", the colour but I doubt "colour" is the right translation)

Colour is a great description, well done.

I use guitar thumb pick. Each note comes out loud , clear , even and ring beautifully!
I usually record one with pick, one without and compare which one sound better. It's all depend on the arrangement. If it's just simple melody, the thumb pick is a winner. Just be very careful not to hit the wood, it may leave you some pick marks. Has not happened to me but I have seen scars on other people ukes.

Last edited:
I've tried various picks, but just go back to using, mainly, my thumb, occasionally fingers, you get used to how hard to pluck the strings after a while. :)

I seldom use a pick, usually for a single-note melody etc., but I find these Wedgie rubber picks produce a nice sound on ukulele:

Wedgie rubber picks

No pick for me. No nails. either.

For the almost 50 years I played guitar, steel string acoustic and electric, I only used a pick, but when I started playing uke 3 years ago, I didn't use a pick, just fingers. I haven't touched my guitars since, and started playing bass uke about 2 years ago fingers only.

I am curious to know what size of ukulele you use a pick on? Do you use a pick on a soprano, concert, tenor or baritone? I wouldn't use a pick on a soprano. What do you all think? hehe

Petey

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Off topic...but it is late (relatively...back in school) and time for bed, and I'm getting silly. Not sure where I heard that the first time. Is that a Jack Handy saying?

Lyle Ritz is the only professional I can come up with. Del Rey always uses finger picks, as did the late Bob Brozman, but that's not the kind of picks you were asking about.

Kitty Lux of the UOGB uses a simple single pick (flatpick) as well.

I use a pick when I am playing live and also with other uke players, I use a pick when jamming with a guitar player, it helps to cut through a little, at home I mainly use a finger or thumb or both

I am going to be working through the Uke aerobics and think I'll do each lesson with both fingers and pick so I stay versatile :) Good input everyone! Thanks and God bless! Jason

Hi! I love playing uke and have found that I really like using a light pick to play it for both strumming and picking out songs. I even am learning tremolo on it. I know most uke players favor using the fingers only, but was wondering if any serious players out there also use a pick? :)

Here is a wonderful example of using a pick and fingers.

Top Bottom