Lemon oil for Koaloha Opio ?

mrStones

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a Koaloha Opio Sapele that I love, but it has a ... well.. you know... "satin finish" that is kinda unexistant.
So I read someone used Lemon oil on the whole body of the Opio to protect it.
Looked through amazon and I found a LOT of lemon oil brands (D'addario, Dunlop, ClearTone, Peavey etc) and I got stuck.
Can anyone advise me some brand ?
Thanks a lot !

Go to the grocery store and buy Old Dutch or any other name brand. You will get 10X the amount for the same price. Lemon oil is lemon oil. If you are handy I would suggest you rub it down with 0000 steel wool to take off the chalky finish build up first. I refinished mine and it looks great. Just search my user name for "started threads", its is maybe 1-1/2 years old.

I used danish oil instead because lemon evaporates and disappears over time. Just a temporary fix.

Go to the grocery store and buy Old Dutch or any other name brand. You will get 10X the amount for the same price. Lemon oil is lemon oil. If you are handy I would suggest you rub it down with 0000 steel wool to take off the chalky finish build up first. I refinished mine and it looks great. Just search my user name for "started threads", its is maybe 1-1/2 years old.

I used danish oil instead because lemon evaporates and disappears over time. Just a temporary fix.

Bringing my Koolau over to you now!

Hi Dave, I really hoped you would answer to my question, since it was you that inspired me :) I was thinking about sending you a PM, luckly you found my post.
I read that post "Opio get some thumbs up" if I recall, but found no mention of Danish oil... well just a post in which you said you was not going to use it 'cause "stain fear".

My only problem is that I live in italy and in grocery store you can't find neither lemon oil or danish oil.
So you still happy with danish oil ?
Did the sound changed ?
Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Mineral oil will work too. It is cheap and should be available at any hardware store. Just use it sparingly, a little goes a long, long way.

Mineral oil will work too. It is cheap and should be available at any hardware store. Just use it sparingly, a little goes a long, long way.

Thanks johson430. What is exactly mineral oil ? 'cause if I google it I find engine oil and I don't think you intend it.
Or one laxative...

I have a woodworking background and was a carpenter for decades so I am comfortable fooling around with this stuff. Danish oil is a finishing oil something like linseed oil. I like it better because it has a polymer added to it and will set up to a firm finish. When you hear the term "oil finish" this is one of several different products that can be used. It is a very thin finish and will not change the sound of the instrument.

Realize that there is already a poly type of synthetic finish on the instrument. Because of this neither mineral oil nor lemon oil will adhere to the existing finish. Lemon oil will give it a little bit of a glossier look but will eventually wear away. I would avoid mineral oil, it won't hurt it but might leave a sticky tacky residue. If it was untreared wood it would be different but remember there is already a thick poly finish on there.d

but remember there is already a thick poly finish on there.d

Is it thick ? I tough it was really thin...
Anyway so danish oil will adhere to the existing finish ?
I found some brand called "Rustin"... is it good ?
And how much you used to cover all your ukulele body ?
Thanks again Dave !

Is it thick ? I tough it was really thin...
Anyway so danish oil will adhere to the existing finish ?
I found some brand called "Rustin"... is it good ?
And how much you used to cover all your ukulele body ?
Thanks again Dave !

I don't know that brand because you are in Italy. Remember to first rub down the original finish with steel wool. The aim was to remove as much as possible. You will see a white powder like film building up in the steel wool. It is possible to get a nice finish with just this method and no danish oil. If you want to apply the Danish oil then a light coat keeping it wet for 10 minutes. Then wipe it all off and let dry for 2 -4 days, then buff with a paper towrl or clean rag. Repeat 2 more times.

Because there is already a poly finish the oil will take 2 or more days to set, lightly touch it to make sure it is dry before more applications.

Try extra fine 0000 steel wool buffing first as it might give you the sheen you want without the Danish oil. You can always just use wax over the steel wool buffed wood instead of oil

Last edited:
I don't know that brand because you are in Italy. Remember to first rub down the original finish with steel wool. The aim was to remove as much as possible. You will see a white powder like film building up in the steel wool. It is possible to get a nice finish with just this method and no danish oil. If you want to apply the Danish oil then a light coat keeping it wet for 10 minutes. Then wipe it all off and let dry for 2 -4 days, then buff with a paper towrl or clean rag. Repeat 2 more times.

Because there is already a poly finish the oil will take 2 or more days to set, lightly touch it to make sure it is dry before more applications.

Try extra fine 0000 steel wool buffing first as it might give you the sheen you want without the Danish oil. You can always just use wax over the steel wool buffed wood instead of oil

Oh there is a misunderstanding. I was not complaining about "finish is ugly", just worried if the existing finish can protect my ukulele from sweat (had really hot summer here) and so or it will ruin in some months... 'cause I felt it too thin and I really want to preserve my uke.
I re-read my post and I wasn't clear about it. I beg your pardon.
Beside keeping it religiously clean, is there something I can do to protect it or it is just fine ?

Oh there is a misunderstanding. I was not complaining about "finish is ugly", just worried if the existing finish can protect my ukulele from sweat (had really hot summer here) and so or it will ruin in some months... 'cause I felt it too thin and I really want to preserve my uke.
I re-read my post and I wasn't clear about it. I beg your pardon.
Beside keeping it religiously clean, is there something I can do to protect it or it is just fine ?

It is fine the way it is. The finish is a synthetic so it is very protective and durable. Wipe it down with a damp rag every once in a while to give it a good cleaning then buff with a dry cloth. I wipe down after every playing with a micro fiber cloth.

Enjoy the Opio, they are great sounding instruments

It is fine the way it is. The finish is a synthetic so it is very protective and durable. Wipe it down with a damp rag every once in a while to give it a good cleaning then buff with a dry cloth. I wipe down after every playing with a micro fiber cloth.

Enjoy the Opio, they are great sounding instruments
Dave is right.......no need to over do it. Just wipe it down and have a good micro cloth handy.

I am also in the "just wipe it down" category. I use an old soft pajama scrap on my Opio.

Top Bottom