Put me out of my misery-mid-price tenor decisions

My advice is a ltitle more general than specific to your choice in tenors. I have found that I really only enjoy the soprano and concert sizes. This leads to my advice, (for what it's worth ), when you are near the beginning of your musical journey, find out which size you like and buy 1 or 2 in that size so that your muscle memory does not get too confused. Buy used so that you can recover most of your investment when you decide that it is time to upgrade, (or realize that you want a different size).

That said, welcome to our illness. It is not limited to ukuleles, and the hunt can be half the fun. A good portion of my hurd was funded by the sale of two custom Martin guitars that were the end result of upgrading and buying well over a period of nearly 30 years. Patience and pacing yourself pays off

Last edited:
This leads to my advice, (for what it's worth ), when you are near the beginning of your musical journey, find out which size you like and buy 1 or 2 in that size so that your muscle memory does not get too confused. Buy used so that you can recover most of your investment when you decide that it is time to upgrade, (or realize that you want a different size).

After three and a half years and ten ukes (the 11th, a guitarlele, is around the corner), I still don't know what my preferred size really is. It changes every so often, depending on what kind of sound I'm after. I envy (in a good way) people who manage to settle this question early on, because it really does help to focus, and it leads to an "end game" type of instrument more cheaply with potentially less remorse and frustration.

On the other hand, the journey and experiences with different instruments also helped me to more clearly decide what I want from my instruments and how to (maybe) get that with the least number of instruments. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of soprano+guitarlele as perhaps my ideal combination, but UAS has the tendency to come with such suggestions that always make sense, until the desire for something new flares up again. :)

Very solid advice on buying used. This doesn't work equally well if you're in Europe or in Australia and have more specific desires, but in North America this is a strong option.

@Ziret

"agonizing wait" - aye - you and me both. I too "pressed the button", but on a Mainland concert classic mahogany (from the blem sale linked in my previous post above) and if Fedex tracking is true, I should have it by end of day tomorrow...

"need to sell some of these others" - me too, one in, and then one out rule has been enforced on me...

"enablers" - LOL - yes all of us are :)

Congratulations! Will you post photos? The one in, one out rule will save you from when UAS becomes Ukulele Hoarders.

My advice is a ltitle more general than specific to your choice in tenors. I have found that I really only enjoy the soprano and concert sizes. This leads to my advice, (for what it's worth ), when you are near the beginning of your musical journey, find out which size you like and buy 1 or 2 in that size so that your muscle memory does not get too confused. Buy used so that you can recover most of your investment when you decide that it is time to upgrade, (or realize that you want a different size).

That said, welcome to our illness. It is not limited to ukuleles, and the hunt can be half the fun. A good portion of my hurd was funded by the sale of two custom Martin guitars that were the end result of upgrading and buying well over a period of nearly 30 years. Patience and pacing yourself pays off

Good advice. I was thinking something similar about muscle memory. I prefer the size of the concert, but the sound of the tenor. Soprano doesn't interest me at all at this time. I am feeling resistance to letting go of any of them, but I will. Probably the concert and baritone.

Congratulations! Will you post photos? The one in, one out rule will save you from when UAS becomes Ukulele Hoarders.

I can do one better...

Season 238, which is here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122474-Seaso-238-Sharknado-Time!

(Watch Gina's video to see what the theme is about as well as read the text in the first post to that thread)

has me using it in a video, which is here:

https://youtu.be/Agizpk_joN8

otherwise, it looks exactly like this (but matte finish with the gold tuners) :

CMM-CG%2001.jpg

CMM-CG%2002.jpg

CMM-CG%2003.jpg

Taken from: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=3

Beautiful! I drooled over that one and its nearly-identical twin from Makai. What a great value, too.

I can do one better...

Season 238, which is here:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122474-Seaso-238-Sharknado-Time!

(Watch Gina's video to see what the theme is about as well as read the text in the first post to that thread)

has me using it in a video, which is here:

https://youtu.be/Agizpk_joN8

otherwise, it looks exactly like this (but matte finish with the gold tuners) :

CMM-CG%2001.jpg

CMM-CG%2002.jpg

CMM-CG%2003.jpg

Taken from: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=9&categoryId=3

Welcome to UU, the biggest bunch of enablers around. So I take it you ordered the Mainland?

That's MY uke--a mahogany with amber colored tuners. I strung it with Southcoast strings (gorgeous.) If mahogany is too "ordinaire" for you, they make mango and red cedar tonewoods too. The mahogany I own is on sale, even now at Uke Republic. Amazing. I bought mine there. No problems.

I like it so well, I don't want another ukulele. I know, I know, it's against the principle of UAS and there are so many beautiful instruments.

But every time I play it, I feel happy.

Welcome to UU, the biggest bunch of enablers around. So I take it you ordered the Mainland?
No, I ordered the Opio. I'll post my impressions of it soon, but so far, I like it a lot.

Sapele or Acacia ?

I have the Sapele one. Absolutely love it, really. Play it everyday.
Just be careful :) it is LOUD.

That's MY uke--a mahogany with amber colored tuners. I strung it with Southcoast strings (gorgeous.) If mahogany is too "ordinaire" for you, they make mango and red cedar tonewoods too. The mahogany I own is on sale, even now at Uke Republic. Amazing. I bought mine there. No problems.

I like it so well, I don't want another ukulele. I know, I know, it's against the principle of UAS and there are so many beautiful instruments.

But every time I play it, I feel happy.

Congrats Gwynedd, that is a beauty! I've played one like yours, and I really like the tone.

I am in your same boat........too much time researching and time to buy. So........what did you decide?

Top Bottom