Fluke normal top vs. premium Koa or Spruce top

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
So I recently got a good deal on a Concert Fluke - orange mango rosette - with hardwood fretboard and peghead tuners. I've had a Firefly banjo for years; it was my 2nd uke and the first one that I really loved (still have it). Also I have had Flea's in the past but never really liked their shape. But this Fluke just "fits" nicely. I think the extra width with the corners actually makes this much easier for me to hold. I loved the hardwood fretboard before and it's still great (no risk of the pinging/ divots from the plastic fretboard either). Pegheads are nice but I didn't mind their stock friction tuners too much to begin with. I love their standing base. The sound is a little bassy though/ that could be the PhD strings it came with though.

So my question, now that my UAS is already kicked back up...
Does anyone have actual experience between the "normal" Fluke top vs. the premium Koa or Spruce tops? How much better does
the Koa/Spruce sound? Are they louder? Any advice?

I like the look of the Koa one more as it's beautiful, but I think I'd like the loudness of the Spruce one too.

I'm open to either Concert or Tenor. Thanks!

Last edited:
The only experience I have is from plinking away for a hour or so at the factory a couple weeks ago. To my very unsophisticated ears the sound from the Spruce top with the side sound hole in it was the nicest, louder and brighter then the rest. How much or that is due to the hole facing the player, I couldn't tell you. In fairness, it was the only one with a 2nd sound hole on display although they told me they have been selling quite a few like this.

Thanks for the hands-on feedback, padlin ^^^
I think I would go Spruce for the sound

Bumping this back up to see if anyone has any A/B experience between the "normal" basic top vs. the premium upgraded Spruce or Koa top. Are they louder/ better?
Only one reply so far (thanks padlin) - anyone else?
thanks!

For me, the koa topped model is about as gorgeous as a fluke can get.

I have laminate walnut Fluke. I would go spruce with rosewood fretboard for sure. I have poly fretboard and it's ok. I find laminate top only sound good when lightly played. I would only buy ifmImplayed one first and really liked the sound and feel. Spruce is my vote even before I her or okay one. AaKoa looks great though.

I have a mango standard concert Fluke and koa top concert Fluke. Overall, the koa one is better pound-for-pound. It's just nicer, and more articulate- probably louder, too. Still, the standard is just fine, in my opinion. I actually prefer the standard for strumming because it's more mellow. I guess I'd narrow it down to this thought: the koa is better for finger-picking while the standard does better with straight strumming. Hope this makes sense. -- Matt

Thanks Matt/soupking! Good hands-on review/experience

I have a mango standard concert Fluke and koa top concert Fluke. Overall, the koa one is better pound-for-pound. It's just nicer, and more articulate- probably louder, too. Still, the standard is just fine, in my opinion. I actually prefer the standard for strumming because it's more mellow. I guess I'd narrow it down to this thought: the koa is better for finger-picking while the standard does better with straight strumming. Hope this makes sense. -- Matt

For tone I think the spruce is the better option........though the koa looks nicer and is a bit more scratch resistant. You should PM Booli, he knows more about flukes and fleas.

Top Bottom