Seasonistas Long Neck Soprano thread

With the concert Flea I have to play harder to hear myself in a room of 10 other ukes, and with the sSLNG, I suspect that the projection of the spruce will cut through enough with a lighter touch on the strings....but I have not tested this theory yet.
Definitely interested to hear the results of that test. I've had the concert Flea on my "maybe someday" list. I can't remember - have you had a regular SLNG? When I had mine I recall it being on the quiet side.

Definitely interested to hear the results of that test. I've had the concert Flea on my "maybe someday" list. I can't remember - have you had a regular SLNG? When I had mine I recall it being on the quiet side.

Hi Jim - no I never had the regular hog lam mahogany SLNG, only the sSLNG

Even from across the room like 10ft away, the other ukes hanging on the wall, all offer significant sympathetic vibration when I play the sSLNG, this is not the case with most of my other ukes being played to trigger such a response, unless I am less then a foot away from the soundhole, and then the unplayed uke will respond with sympathetic vibrations...

It's like an eery but angelic kind of reverb (like a 'shimmer reverb')...like the ukes are singing on their own...kind of like the aeolian wind chimes...

I'd make a video/sound sample but I'm not sure it would be apparent since the effect only lasts as along as I am playing, and then decays rather quickly, and the sSLNG is likely to drown it out in the recording...

I have lighter/softer strings in the Martin M600 on my concert Flea, which give a sound and feel unique to that instrument, but have not done an A/B test for measuring the db level betw the Flea and the sSLNG, and it might be some time before I can, but want to since I want to be sure that what I'm perceiving is actually real in terms of the volume/loudness level, or if I've somehow been convinced (either by the hive mind here on UU, or by myself) that 'OMG sprice is louder and has magical sound projection properties'...

Last edited:
I have one long necked soprano, and love the extra room it gives me on the fretboard, especially as I am starting to play up the neck more on chord melodies. We have also built a few, both in solid wood, and our Bonanza laminates. I do find they sound more like a soprano than a concert, but not quite like a soprano either. The next soprano I have Pete build for me will be another long neck. Soprano with concert, in my case. I am thinking a cherry one, as I sold that one.

Top Bottom