Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recorder anyone?

Default Recorder anyone?

Recently I decided to reacquaint myself with the instrument that every school kid used to be given to take home and torment their parents, the recorder. Now the type that kids are given to start on is the soprano or descant, which has a fairly high range and yet it is a genuine instrument that dates back over 400 years. If blown carefully it can produce a beautiful sound. The low notes are the trickiest to get. Having played around with it for a while and watched countless youtube videos I decided I prefer the sound of the bigger instruments -the alto or treble and the tenor. Also the soprano requires deft fingering due to the closely spaced small holes.And so I ordered myself a tenor and hopefully it will arrive today.
    I will keep you posted.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    My facebook- http://www.facebook.com/lozzie.green

Good luck with your tenor, I found the lower notes a little tricky to hit perfectly.

(I used to have a sopranino, soprano, treble, & tenor - always fancied a bass - like that which is played on 'Stairway To Heaven'.)

P.S. Tootler, (find him in the Seasons & Other Instruments threads), plays recorders.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I used to work in the Early Music Shop in London - they are beautiful instruments. I can 'play' - insofar as find the notes to make a tune, but never got good enough to make a 'nice' sound.

My hands have trouble with the longer reaches on a tenor (the same is true on ukuleles, how consistent!) I've learned to love the alto. Be careful: recorder acquisition syndrome can strike at any moment.

The alto/treble has a beautiful sound, I just never got my head round the transposition (after learning on descant)

Like most kids in Europe, I also learned recorder in school, and unlike most kids, I really enjoyed it and was good at it. I recall even having a piccolo recorder (I now wonder what happened to it; was an maple one made by Hohner). I love the sound of small woodwinds, and more than once looked at alto and tenor recorders too. It usually ends with me realizing that there is no good way to practice them quietly.

I am digging the sound of the alto size recorder.
    Uke1950, thanks for the post about Tootler. I PM'ed him and got some good info.
    This might be my next instrument purchase, they aren't very expensive.
    I have a harmonica background so I think the recorder might be easier to learn for me than someone with no wind instrument background,
    Very glad the OP started this thread, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson430 View Post
    This might be my next instrument purchase, they aren't very expensive.
    It's like with ukuleles. You can find alto recorders that cost well beyond the $2000 mark, even from music retailers (list of alto recorders at Thomann) that don't carry hand-made, truly expensive models.

We were forced to have recorder class in grade school here in the USA. As I remember I liked it well enough, but once I took up violin in the school orchestra the recorder became an 'elective' which I continued...and later added piano both in school and at home with a private teacher..

later when I picked up a guitar and started taking lessons, both the violin and recorder were abandoned in favor of the guitar and related instruments...

The guitar and bass stayed with me in various forms for nearly 42 yrs since...but I find I dont care much for recorder nowadays - HOWEVER, the XAPHOON is very interesting to me, it's like a 'pocket sax' - dont have one yet - just wish they were cheaper - and supposedly the XAPHOON uses the same fingering as a recorder (not that I remember it well, or at all, nor the clarinet, flute, sax, nor trumpet fingerings either that I used to know).....
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    The guitar and bass stayed with me in various forms for nearly 42 yrs since...but I find I dont care much for recorder nowadays - HOWEVER, the XAPHOON is very interesting to me, it's like a 'pocket sax' - dont have one yet - just wish they were cheaper - and supposedly the XAPHOON uses the same fingering as a recorder (not that I remember it well, or at all, nor the clarinet, flute, sax, nor trumpet fingerings either that I used to know).....
    that has a clarinet style reed doesn't it? I was tempted by the sound, but never played a reed instrument so thought, too much learning curve ... they sound mental tho

Thread Information