Bling

Even what bling is seems to be a matter of opinion. A rosette, binding and position markers are all functional as well as decorative. I don't care for over the top, but I still think a Martin 5K is nearly perfect and I love Martin style 3 ukes.

Totally agreed with U. I have a new Martin 3 cherry and a style 3 mahogany. That's as much bling I would take. The 5K is not on my radar so I don't know if its bling its worth it. hehe

Petey

After reading DownUpDick's comment below, it is evident that once again, I've been completely misunderstood.

Thus I have deleted the text that was originally here.

Truly - No hard feelings, DownUpDick or anyone else.

I'm just weary of trying to be a diplomat and always being met with failure.

Carry on.

I'll be somewhere else for a while. :)

Last edited:
Dick and Booli.....
thanks for settling your differences and getting along, and for showing aloha spirit!

Booli, you can like what you like. I don't remember ever criticizing your choice of Ukes. I'm sure you're mistaken. I don't think I've ever commented on anyone's Uke. Most of the constant posts about Ukes and strings bore me to tears.

I did disagree with you recently about music, but I apologized right away, because I really liked the thread and didn't want to mess it up with a big debate. Anyway it's over.

I like this thread too, so I guess I'll apologize again. Booli, I apologize, and I really like your Ukes. :eek:ld:

My ukes thus far fall on the simple side for the most part. My two main players are lovely koa (one curly, one not) with gloss finishes, position dots, and fret markers.

But I love flashy bling on my instruments. My dream ukulele would be adorned with inlays depicting scenes from late medieval unicorn hunt tapestries. Think inlay along the fretboard, on the headstock faceplate, around the back of the neck, soundhole rosette, designs in the sides and back....ah, I can dream.

My ukes thus far fall on the simple side for the most part. My two main players are lovely koa (one curly, one not) with gloss finishes, position dots, and fret markers.

But I love flashy bling on my instruments. My dream ukulele would be adorned with inlays depicting scenes from late medieval unicorn hunt tapestries. Think inlay along the fretboard, on the headstock faceplate, around the back of the neck, soundhole rosette, designs in the sides and back....ah, I can dream.

Yes, I agree with some of that if one likes it. It makes one's Uke sorta personalized. I really do think that expensive Ukes with beautiful woods don't need bling, plain ones could use some spiffing up though.

I suppose it's a personal thing, but really, most things are. I've seen instruments painted and carved and drawn on. :eek:ld:

Although I really love the look of a good wood grain, I like a little bling. First, all my ukes and bass ukes are cutaway. My Kala cedar top uke has a very nice looking paduk red binding and glossy finish. My direct from China Hanknn Uku has two sound holes and abalone binding. My gypsy jazz custom has a glossy finish and rosewood tailpiece. I also recently bought a brown sunburst matt finish that I never saw before. My most blingy is a custom mandolele with black glossy finish, pearloid binding, chrome tailpiece and pearloid block fret markers.

As for my bass ukes, I have them modified to look like popular designs; Fender Telecaster and Jaguar, Les Paul, which is on the plain side, AudioVox 1936 Serenader, Hofner Beatles and Gibson SG. I also have an acoustic custom solid acacia koa and off white binding, and a very plain acoustic Gold Tone GT MicroBass satin mahogany, which I usually gig with.

My 5K.jpgMaybe too much decoration to many, but she sounds and plays great too. More than I need, but exactly what I wanted. That is the dealers post of the Martin 5K that resides with me.

I agree that the wood gives the instrument a lot of it's beauty, but the binding can accentuate the curves and edges, making the shape of the instrument stand out, (as well as adding protection to the edges). A rosette frames the sound hole and visually breaks up a large, flat surface, (while helping to reduce risk of cracks at the sound hole). Ornamental position markers are a good reference and make an un-interesting fingerboard interesting. For me, well done bling helps to accentuate the beauty of an instrument by framing a feature or visually breaking up surfaces, hopefully without taking away from it's natural beauty. "If everyone loved roses, what would a daisy do?" Not my quote, but I like it.

Last edited:
Django:

I fully agree with you. Your Martin 5K has just the right amount of bling. Although I love the sound of Kamaka's, the lack of bling on their standard models are the one thing stopping me from buying them. No offense to Kamaka lovers, just my personal taste.

I think of it as a matter of resource limit.

If you spend more money on a bling uke that isn't great that could have been spent on a uke that costs the same, sounds better, and is simple, then the bling seems a waste.

But.. if you can afford a great uke, and bling it, go for it.

Personally, I look at a uke as an instrument first. If it sounds great... then great. If it sounds great and looks great that's icing. If it looks great, but sounds meh... I think it was done wrong. There are lots of ukes... where it's built meh, and they sneak it through by making it look nice.

I think of it as a matter of resource limit.

If you spend more money on a bling uke that isn't great that could have been spent on a uke that costs the same, sounds better, and is simple, then the bling seems a waste.

But.. if you can afford a great uke, and bling it, go for it.

Personally, I look at a uke as an instrument first. If it sounds great... then great. If it sounds great and looks great that's icing. If it looks great, but sounds meh... I think it was done wrong. There are lots of ukes... where it's built meh, and they sneak it through by making it look nice.

Lots of UUers talk about getting their Ukes to sound the best they can, so they change strings over and over. But I don't think the sound of string instruments is a finite thing. If one could always fret a string exactly the same way every time and if the humidity and temperature was the same every time he/she played it and if one strummed the same as always, then it might be a good thing to experiment and experiment with strings and different woods, etc. etc. etc.

I've known some musicians, but I never heard any brass player or woodwind players or even violin players talk so much about equipment. If one blows a wind instrument and gets a sour note he/she usually fixes it with his/near embouchure. I suppose fiddlers fix it with the fingers. The only ones I know of who constantly mess with tuning and sound is kettle drummers and maybe banjoists.

I think there really is more to a musical instrument than its sound. I see even some of my instruments as things of beauty, and I like to look at them and handle them.

The sound that you're striving to produce on your wooden ukulele with stretchy strings probably won't always sound exactly the same, but, if you take good care of it, it'll look really nice for a long time.

Anyway, I sorta use most of my instruments as decorations in my music room and annex (bedroom). I enjoy having them. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I've known some musicians, but I never heard any brass player or woodwind players or even violin players talk so much about equipment. If one blows a wind instrument and gets a sour note he/she usually fixes it with his/near embouchure.

It's years in the past for me, but players of double reed instruments fussed with reeds more than anyone here fusses with strings. (Probably also something that single reed players mess with, too.) The professional french horn player I know has mentioned trying a variety of mouth pieces, so I suspect that brass players might find that to be a factor.

Of course, there is a lot more to it than just the reed or mouthpiece, and it's ultimately the skill set that makes certain individuals stand out, but having the right set of tools for the individual makes it at least a little bit easier.

It's years in the past for me, but players of double reed instruments fussed with reeds more than anyone here fusses with strings. (Probably also something that single reed players mess with, too.) The professional french horn player I know has mentioned trying a variety of mouth pieces, so I suspect that brass players might find that to be a factor.

Of course, there is a lot more to it than just the reed or mouthpiece, and it's ultimately the skill set that makes certain individuals stand out, but having the right set of tools for the individual makes it at least a little bit easier.

Yes, I forgot; you're correct about oboe players, but I never heard clarinet or sax player do anything but whine about their cracked reeds. I really don't agree about brass mouthpieces. I never bought a new mouthpiece unless I bought a new instrument.

Today there are purple trumpets and bright red clarinets and all kinds of fancy drums. Music is fun, yet lots of Ukists turn up their noses at bling, and change their strings again, hoping for that perfect sound.

Well, I like to have fun. I just wish I could play better on the beautiful Ukes I have. Aquila strings and all! :eek:ld:

Yes, I forgot; you're correct about oboe players, but I never heard clarinet or sax player do anything but whine about their cracked reeds. I really don't agree about brass mouthpieces. I never bought a new mouthpiece unless I bought a new instrument.

Maybe the musicians I know whine a lot, LOL, but if they're playing in the major city orchestras, (cut-throat competition), they do get very particular about mouthpieces, bows, and anything that might give them a slight edge, or lose them the edge. When one person I know was auditioning for the NY Philharmonic, she had a flurry of instruments sent to her so she could find one with just the right tone that she was looking for. (Obviously, they all were sent back except the winning one.) I think the pros are (and should be) pickier about every little thing, since the instrument is the tool of their trade, and it's such difficult competition. Just what I've observed, but maybe I just know picky people.

Since I play for no one but myself, (and my dogs), I don't need to be picky, but still think it can be fun to try different strings, and different ukuleles. But, it's just for fun. A yellow Smiley soprano sounds like lots of fun, too, and that's what it's all about for all of us who don't make our living doing this.

Yeah, I agree, Joyful, and, of course it's okay to be a bit picky. I admit I am when it comes to buying somethin' expensive. I just wondered why the plain brown Ukes were more popular than ones with a little pah-zazz. But, if that's what UUers like, I guess it just is,

When I was in high school band, we usta trade instruments, but the clarinets would never trade. They were worried about their reeds. But I played all kinds of stuff. It was a lotta fun.

I don't play the yellow smiley Uke. It's a wallhanger. I don't care for Sopranos. :eek:ld:

My first ukulele was functional but pretty plain and it was my goal that when I got a better uke that it would have some inlay that I like. I was able to find one made from quality materials that also happens glossy and has a lot of inlay. Regardless, I enjoy the sound and I enjoy the feel of the instrument in my hands.

What's more, though, is that I love to open up the case and look down while thinking, "I get to play this beautiful thing." I don't play the ukulele to impress anybody--I play for my own pleasure. Part of that pleasure is visual so I have no regrets. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would think my ukulele is gaudy but, lucky for them, I didn't pick out or pay for an uke for their benefit. I can appreciate the beauty of a simple but well-crafted instrument, too, and I respect a player's skill more than the look of his or her instrument but, thankfully, there's a wondrous variety for everyone to choose from and the internet puts them all at our fingertips.

My little tenor brings me joy on many levels (including being eye-candy) and that's all I want from it.

My first ukulele was functional but pretty plain and it was my goal that when I got a better uke that it would have some inlay that I like. I was able to find one made from quality materials that also happens glossy and has a lot of inlay. Regardless, I enjoy the sound and I enjoy the feel of the instrument in my hands.

What's more, though, is that I love to open up the case and look down while thinking, "I get to play this beautiful thing." I don't play the ukulele to impress anybody--I play for my own pleasure. Part of that pleasure is visual so I have no regrets. I'm sure there are people on this forum who would think my ukulele is gaudy but, lucky for them, I didn't pick out or pay for an uke for their benefit. I can appreciate the beauty of a simple but well-crafted instrument, too, and I respect a player's skill more than the look of his or her instrument but, thankfully, there's a wondrous variety for everyone to choose from and the internet puts them all at our fingertips.

My little tenor brings me joy on many levels (including being eye-candy) and that's all I want from it.

I couldn't agree more. I have lots of different instruments, and I wouldn't get rid of any of them. I even have a few that I don't like, but I'm keepin' 'em anyway just to admire and handle them.

Sometimes in music stores I love to pick stuff up and maybe play a few notes or try them out in a practice room. :eek:ld:

I like some decoration, but for me it has to be rather simple. That being said I loved some of the Moore Bettah but most were a bit "too much" for me. I'm a beginner and I have an Ortega RU5MM with a little ornate thingy on the top, it's simple but enough to give make it a bit "different". I think I'd feel awkward playing a very decorated instrument, I'd feel like the art on it would be better than my playing, if that makes sense. :p But I like it that my ukulele has a small design on it, I feel like it makes it more "personal" and unique, even though it's mass-production.

Top Bottom