Where to find single Fluorocarbon strings?

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Newbie here, experimenting and learning new things every day about the ukulele. I'm about a month in to learning the instrument. I am focused mainly on the tenor but I kind of have 3 versions already I am experimenting with. I have a super concert that has the concert body with a tenor neck, I have traditional tenor, and I have a long neck tenor with a 19" scale. So far, I like the sound and feel of an all fluorocarbon set of strings. I have been using D'addario EJ99TLG and the EJ99T on the super concert. What I have noticed, is that on the long neck tenor, the strings are too tight. I understand the physics of; longer neck=greater tension and so I am thinking some slightly smaller gauged strings would give me the same feel i am enjoying on the tenor and super concert. In my limited research I have not found any ready made fluorocarbon sets that have smaller gauges than these. Can anyone recommend where I can find individual strings so that I can customize a set for the long neck tenor?
Thanks, kevin

At this point, D'Addario doesn't sell carbon singles. Except the treble set in there classical carbon strings.You can purchase single strings at https://www.stringsbymail.com/ though.

Look in the classical string section for individual strings, whether nylon or fluorocarbon. Savarez sells just about every diameter you could want in there alliance fluorocarbon strings. I use Savarez, and do use their singles for my ukes since I prefer slightly different diameters than what is used in there uke sets.

It is subjective, but I think Savarez are awesome strings. The only other strings I do use are the D'Addario carbons as well. They are very similar, in my opinion. The D'Addario are maybe a little brighter but still very neutral, and a little more dense, for a slightly harder feel under your finger tips.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...liance-kf-carbon-602/alliance-kf-1-meter-460/

Pyramid sells quite a wide selection of carbon singles as well. Don't let the word Lute throw you on the package. It's the same string for classical, or ukes.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/class...d-970/specialty-singles-2502/pvf-carbon-2504/

Most of the other brands sell singles as well, but only in the diameters of the classical sets offered.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Hammer for such a thorough, and well informed reply!

You're the 2nd person who has mentioned Savarez to me and I will definitely give them a try. I do find the D'addario's a hair bright at times, especially using the high G on the super concert, but I thought maybe that was as much the concert body as it was the strings. Anyway, a tad more warmth with a similar feel would be nice.

Thanks a lot Hammer for such a thorough, and well informed reply!

You're the 2nd person who has mentioned Savarez to me and I will definitely give them a try. I do find the D'addario's a hair bright at times, especially using the high G on the super concert, but I thought maybe that was as much the concert body as it was the strings. Anyway, a tad more warmth with a similar feel would be nice.

What's great about the all the diameter choices that Savarez offers is that you can really tailor the sound a little if needed or wanted. Without having to switch brands, and maybe losing the feel or something else you like. Want a little warmer sound for a particular uke, just get a little larger diameter. Of course, keeping in mind tension levels.

LOL. We must have the same moon sign or something. I recently posted about where to find single fluoros.
I really want a walnut ukulele.
And we bought the same Kanile'a. :)

Last edited:
This is exactly the subject i've been thinking about , as i use Thomastic Infield strings for my G & C stings i'm buying sets of strings for my A & E and never using the G & C strings . hammer40 can you advise me regards the Savarez which would be the equivalent of the A & E strings on my tenor ukulele please .

This is exactly the subject i've been thinking about , as i use Thomastic Infield strings for my G & C stings i'm buying sets of strings for my A & E and never using the G & C strings . hammer40 can you advise me regards the Savarez which would be the equivalent of the A & E strings on my tenor ukulele please .

On SBM, the Savarez Alliance KF singles wich are fluoro come in 1 meter and 2 meter lengths.

I'd recommend to get the 2M lengths (~6ft) so you get more string for the money of the $3.99 flat rate shipping.

See here: https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_62_147_602_601&sortby=4

Next look at the gauges of the strings for the E & A strings that you typically are using from a set, and match those gauges with the Alliance KF gauges, which are offered from 0.0118" up to 0.0826" diameter.

If not sure, you can get one string thinner and/or thicker than your pre-made sets gauges, and have some wiggle room for tone, tension and sustain.

I too have been wanting to do this, also to pair with my Thomastik-Infeld chrome flatwound strings where I used them.

Hope this helps! :)

I highly recommend the Savarez singles available from Strings By Mail. I created a set for my baritone, but I use Fremont Black Line fluorocarbons on my tenor and concert. If you like the gauges of the A and E strings you're currently using, just pick something similar. For example, Fremont tenor strings use 0.023" and 0.027" for the A and E strings. Savarez offers 0.0224", and 0.0236"and 0.0272" among others. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks Booli & twokatmew for your advise much appreciated your tip Booli of buying 2m length is a cracking idea , i currently use D'Addario Titanium as they seem to be bullet proof i can bend the A string till Christmas and it doesn't seem to break (famous last words) so i need too look for those gauges in the Savarez list wish me luck i'm useless at gauges and tension .

Thanks Booli & twokatmew for your advise much appreciated your tip Booli of buying 2m length is a cracking idea , i currently use D'Addario Titanium as they seem to be bullet proof i can bend the A string till Christmas and it doesn't seem to break (famous last words) so i need too look for those gauges in the Savarez list wish me luck i'm useless at gauges and tension .

Sure thing! However if you are used to the D'Addario Titaniums, these are NYLON and not fluoro, and Savarez, as well as other classical string makers offer those as singles as well, for example here are the Savarez NYLON singles:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_62_147_603&sortby=4

Also keep in mind that nearly ALL fluoro strings will be MUCH THINNER than NYLON strings for the same string position/concert pitch tuning on account of having higher linear density in fluoro than in nylon.

So to match the TITANIUMs, you want NYLON single strings, (which D'Addario sells as well) see here:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_41_114_339&sortby=4

Having said that, SAVAREZ is the only brand I've seen selling fluoro single strings, and not just a 'trebles set' like most other classical makers, and Oasis has a 'trebles set' in their GPX carbon, which are the SAME gauge as the Martin M620 for the C string (0.034"), anf the rest are similar gauges to the Worth CT set, but you get about 2.5x the length of string compared to the Martins, which IME pairs nicely with a wound low-G like the Thomastik CF-30 string.

see:

https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-gpx-carbon-nt-classical-guitar-strings-treble-set-4256.html

I highly recommend the Savarez singles available from Strings By Mail. I created a set for my baritone, but I use Fremont Black Line fluorocarbons on my tenor and concert. If you like the gauges of the A and E strings you're currently using, just pick something similar. For example, Fremont tenor strings use 0.023" and 0.027" for the A and E strings. Savarez offers 0.0224", and 0.0236"and 0.0272" among others. Hope this helps! :)

Ha! we must have been typing at the same time - Great Minds Think Alike! :)

On my linear baris, I use Thomastik-Infeld strings for the D and G. I've just ordered a custom bari "set" from Ken Middleton (Living Water strings) which consists of two 1st strings and two 2nds—effectively, the trebles I need for two sets, pairing with the T-I's. These may not be quite as custom as ordering strings of slightly larger or smaller diameter, but I'm quite content with the standard trebles. I'm sure you could order tenor trebles from Ken the same way, more economically than ordering Savarez singles. Of the strings I've tried so far, Living Waters are my favorite fluorocarbons.

Though I swear by Savarez strings for my classical guitar, and have done so for decades, I find the Savarez Alliance uke strings a bit stiff and high-tensioned—which ought to make them just about perfect for Bb tuning, something I've yet to try. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sounds like a good setup ubu!

I am going to have to check out those bari 'treble sets' from Ken as I did not know about them before.

Thanks for sharing and for the info. :)

I'm very tempted to go down the fishing line route at least for my A string , this 100% fluorocarbon line they sell at a fishing tackle shop near me seems to fit the bill , if i go for the 30lb it is roughly 0.56mm diameter which is midway between concert and tenor diameter that would suit me . This an American website but they sell it in UK where as Seaguar would need to be imported , decision's decision's .

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-739800&WT.z_pg_ref=prd738591

Last edited:
I'm very tempted to go down the fishing line route at least for my A string , this 100% fluorocarbon line they sell at a fishing tackle shop near me seems to fit the bill , if i go for the 30lb it is roughly 0.56mm diameter which is midway between concert and tenor diameter that would suit me . This an American website but they sell it in UK where as Seaguar would need to be imported , decision's decision's .

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/pro...WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-739800&WT.z_pg_ref=prd738591

How do you know if it will sound any good!!! At that price it is very economical.......unless you hate the way it sounds. I have liked both the Savarez and Pyramid singles from Strings by Mail. They are high grade florocarbon and sound great.

Pyramid PVF Carbon singles are $3.33 and come in 48" length (enough for two sections). That is $1.70 each or $6.80 for 4 strings, same price as the average ukulele set of strings. Diameters of .0212", 0232" .0248" will give you the tension and tone you want from an A string for concert or tenor. They have a huge range of sizes and I have been really pleased with the tenors and baritones I have put them on.

Last edited:
Your correct DownUpDave i don't know if i will like them but i've never tried Savarez or Pyramid either . There is shipping and Vat to factor in from Strings by Mail also . I have a fellow ukulele player thats just gone down the fishing line route next time we meet up i'm going to sound him out on his experience with them .

Your correct DownUpDave i don't know if i will like them but i've never tried Savarez or Pyramid either . There is shipping and Vat to factor in from Strings by Mail also . I have a fellow ukulele player thats just gone down the fishing line route next time we meet up i'm going to sound him out on his experience with them .

Excellent idea, I would be interested in learning how you make out. Shiping and Vat can add up no doubt. Up in Canada our biggest deterrent is difference on the dollars adds 30% to the cost of getting things from the States.

Just a quick update to this thread , i've just fitted the Savarez single fluorocarbon strings suggested by Booli from Strings by Mail and they work a treat paired with the Thomastik wound G & C strings early days yet though , i'll probably buy them from Schneider Musik as they're more local to me.

I did try the fishing line but they didn't sound or feel right not musical if that makes sense.

On a totally different subject i've always felt my Godin Multiuke great but the back where your thumb goes a bit sticky , well on another forum someone recommended very lightly sanding the lacquer down with 1200 wet and dry then using 0000 wire wool and then some Teak Oil apparently it's a well known trick amongst bass players to speed up there playing , i tried it yesterday Wow what a difference absolute pleasure to play moving up the neck with barre chords , i appreciate it's a bit drastic but i've no intention of ever selling it , thought i'd pass it on for feedback .
Cheers Dave

Last edited:
Great tip Booli on buying longer lengths. I wonder if I could find longer lengths in wound strings? On my low G tenor, I used a .030" wound D string from a D'Addario EJ46 classical guitar set, and it was great. But, being a wound string, it wore out faster than the other 3 flouro strings. Anyone know if longer length wound classical guitar strings like this are available anywhere for purchase?

I guess I can just buy a bunch of single strings from SBM. I looked on there, and see single D'Addario .030" classical strings for $1.08 each (link below), but they don't specify if they are wound or not, I want a wound string.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-nyl030-classical-guitar-rectified-nylon-030-single-string-207.html

Top Bottom