Strings for Favilla Soprano - suggestions?

Lillymo

Reaction score
I just bought a mahogany soprano Favilla, best guess date: mid to late 1940s. I don't think it had been played in a very long time and despite cautious tuning, I broke a string. No big surprise - I knew I was destined to change the strings in the near future.

The strings that were on it were similar in appearance to the Worth Clear Medium strings on my contemporary soprano, but thinner. It made me wonder if Worth Clear Lights might be a good option, but that's based only on appearance and my fondness for fluorocarbon. I'm completely open to other suggestions!

Soprano Favilla owners (and the Favilla friendly): What do you like? Thanks!

Attachments

• Vintage Favilla Soprano.jpg
    Vintage Favilla Soprano.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Those or Martin M600s is what I would recommend trying out on it first.

Worth cl's or Martin m600's. I have had them on a 20's birch soprano and a later teardrop mahogany.
Both sound equally good. Martins you can get anywhere. ymmv

Martin strings are my go-to strings on mahogany ukuleles. I just really like the way they sound with that wood. If you wanted something a little more mellow I would go with some Worth Browns.

On my (for now C-tuned) Black Bear soprano (koa), I really like Ken Middleton's Living Waters strings. They sound great to my ears and have a good feel. On my 1920s Washburn (mahogany), which is probably closer to what you have, I greatly like Aquila's 33U strings for D tuning. Vintage sopranos tend to sound best in D tuning, I feel. Not a hard rule, though.

I have worth browns on my mahogany soprano and am very happy with them. I swapped out the Aquila nylguts it came with as I found them far too plucky with minimal sustain. But I know many people really dig them. Good luck with your quest for strings you like. It is amazing how very personal these choices are.

The strings that came on this ukulele were shot so any new set would've been a big improvement. I opted for the Martin M600s and they were transformative! My Favilla sounds and feels great, plenty of volume, nice dynamics and the intonation is excellent. I hadn't used M600s before and I gotta say, the price and availability were big pluses.

Thanks for the suggestions! My thirst for new strings has been quenched for now, but it's always interesting to hear what works for other ukers.

Last edited:
Oasis bright high G!!!

Top Bottom