Season 240 - Please FOLD, SPINDLE and MUTILATE

UkuleleAbyss

Reaction score
Intro Video:

The theme for this season is all about medley’s or some call them mashups. I always thought mashups were different but I am not a music guy. Your mission this week, if you choose to accept, is take any 2 or more songs and put them together in such a way to create 1 song.

There are no rules around how you do this other than to be creative and have fun. Some medley’s play one song, then go into another. Some use three songs where they will alternate verses of two the songs and use the chorus from the third song.

Linear and I chose two old times country songs and alternated verses and choruses between each song. We talked about how to go back and forth and Liner did a ‘fun and done’ and whatever is was…it is.

Rules:

All standard rules apply.
Announce or somehow display Season 240 in the video.
Ukulele front and center.
Fun and Done are better than Perfection.
Unlimited Entries.

Prizes:

Custom artwork done by Linear based on the chosen songs of the winner...this will be COOOOOOOL.

PLEASE NOTE AS I AM ABOUT TO BREAK NEW GROUND.

I believe that the playlist, as I set it up, is intended to be collaborative. So, anybody that has the special link can add their own song to the playlist.

When you click on the link, it will ask you if you want to be a contributor and then it is as easy as adding a video to your own playlist.

We will give it shot. If it works great, if not, I will turn collaboration off and add the songs manually. But this way I figure the playlist is almost always up to date as the songs are done and people will be able to keep up.

Playlist (Collaborative)

Cool theme! This is gonna be challenging! I feel really old, though, because you had to explain "FOLD, SPINDLE and MUTILATE." I actually learned keypunch a long, long, long time ago!

Cool theme! This is gonna be challenging! I feel really old, though, because you had to explain "FOLD, SPINDLE and MUTILATE." I actually learned keypunch a long, long, long time ago!

I am hoping people embrace it. I was a little challenged at first but ended up having a great time putting the medley together. All day today I was listening to songs and as it was playing would try to think of a song that would go with it.

There are some great examples in the Jim Carey song book. My favorite it the Five Foot Two Medley #3.

Oooh great theme I have a couple of entries up my sleeve it's just getting the time to record them that's my problem and boy your looking good mate well done

Oh goody. Last time we had a mash week the song I created went on to become my greatest hit now with nearly 3,500 views

Yes, it's a wonderful theme! I recall being in computer science classes back in the day when you'd punch a box of what seemed like several thousand cards and wind up with 2 + 2 = 4. Good times.

Cool theme Dave and Linear! It will be fun trying something new with the collaborative playlist, too.

Oh, you know how I love a good mashup!

Bummer that I am traveling most of the week, and super busy till then. But you know I will bring you something for this one!!! At least we will get some video of one or more of my mashups from our Uke On! gig next Sunday (your co-host's other duo).

(Maybe we'll do one together at OUC, Dave. Hey ... wait a minute ... how are you hosting this week and going to OUC?! Gonna be fun to watch you handle that.)

And I do want to create something new ... maybe Thursday at OUC while it's still relatively quiet there. Maybe I can create something simple we can do with the whole group at the open mic.

And punch cards! I love you guys. Aren't you both too young remember punch cards? I came in right at the tail end of them, and the beginning of what today would be called PC's ... we had Apple II's in high school ... with 4K of RAM (the high-end one had 16!!!) and a cassette recorder for saving your programs. My mom was taking a Fortran course at the local community college at the same time, and would bring home stacks of punch cards. I remember learning how to code them.

I'm looking for a different short film I remember seeing at MIT, but this one is similar and will give the youngsters a flavor of those days:

PS, in my book, a medley is one or more songs played continuously, one after the other, possibly with a repeat of part of the first song to tie it up. A mashup is any more complicated melding of two or more songs to integrate them into a single "song". I have a playlist of mine - I do these a lot!

PPS, I love the collaborative playlist ... I just added Berni's video because he hadn't ... but are you able to edit the settings at all? It doesn't currently allow reordering of the videos, so they are now out of sequence with the thread, which makes it harder for those of us who like to follow the thread and the playlist along together in parallel.

Last edited:

I was thinking I might do the first song next week if it's going to be D and Dm in pabrizzer's challenge, and the other song it occurred to me would slot in quite well, albeit with a slightly disconcerting contrast in sentiment!

I did try playing the melody of one (on my portable analogue synthesiser/sequencer) along to the other, but it didn't harmonise at all well - shame.

Hello all, well after a lengthy absence from the seasons i have managed to finally get some time to par take in this season.Here is a mixture of 2 songs we used to do this at my local uke club but we dont tend to play it much these days, i know people used to love it at gigs that we performed at.

Well Gang im just like a bus you wait around for one and blow me down to come along at once,Yep i managed to gt 2 mash ups done today, this one i just thought would go together i just went with the flow and it turned into a biblical jam for me so i apologise it is so long but hey you dont have to watch till the end i reckon i will enjoy plying this for some time you can really mix it anyway you want , i apologise i deleted my intro haven't used my lap top in a while so sorry about that but it was recorded fresh today as i ended up going live on Facebook afterwards , Anyway thanks for hosting a super season guys and its good to be in a season all the best peace and love from me

Top Bottom