Ken Hill Ukulele?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I interviewed Ken Hill yesterday. It's 15 years since he last made a ukulele so I teased him about this and managed to squeeze this out of him:

Let's hope he does it... he was quite surprised when I told hime what a legend he was :)

Legend Chuck! Used an old Kumalae design to train his apprentices. Constructed Spanish heel style like the originals. Was one of the early side porters (front ports actually as in the Thurman patent application) Another grumpy old man to join the legion of us. Not at all grumpy was the very gracious and charming Frank Ford who I met yesterday. He made the most interesting comment: "I never thought we would be able to get $2000 for a ukulele. What do I know?" I think he said, "Gosh" or 'You don't say" when I said what some of us can charge. Then he showed me an incredible project that really showed me who da Man is! At 70+ he is still inventing things and taking risks. He ought to get together with Ken Timms - the scope of his engineering skills is phenomenal.

Last edited:
I've heard Ken talk several times at the Guild of American Luthiers conventions. He is very well respected and quite a fine builder of classical guitars.

Yes, I saw his building operation - clearly a man who has worked out all the angles...

Top Bottom