DOs and DON'Ts in D

pabrizzer

Reaction score
Well my aim here is to get you to maybe play some new material you haven't played before so -

Your song title must start with DO or DON'T.
Is to be performed in the key of D (or Dm).
Yes, the performance still has to be under 3 minutes and newly recorded for this challenge please.
Challenge will last two weeks.

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Oh wow! I thought it would be hard to find something until I started looking... I've found at least one song which is right in my usual zone. I promise I won't "do" that one though.

Oh wow! I thought it would be hard to find something until I started looking... I've found at least one song which is right in my usual zone. I promise I won't "do" that one though.

Yes there are plenty of songs to choose from.
I've found a John Mellencamp song I like which was new to me.
I look forward to what ever you bring Jim.

Ok then, never being one to stick by the rules entirely, this one starts in the key of D Major, but then goes to F# Minor and A Major (I transposed it down three semi-tones from the copy of the music I have here which starts in F Major).

This song was particularly satisfying to do now, as I remember looking at the music a couple of years ago and thinking something like "Gulp! Look at all those chords!" and putting it to one side.

Ok then, never being one to stick by the rules entirely, this one starts in the key of D Major, but then goes to F# Minor and A Major (I transposed it down three semi-tones from the copy of the music I have here which starts in F Major).

This song was particularly satisfying to do now, as I remember looking at the music a couple of years ago and thinking something like "Gulp! Look at all those chords!" and putting it to one side.

See. This key talk is what these challenges are all about.

Last edited:
I have a suitable song I never did before. Transcribed it to D and then found Microsoft bollixed my logitec C516 Cam up. Apparently Microsoft broke the Launcher_Main.exe for this on Window 7,8 and 10. Does anybody have a fix?

I have a suitable song I never did before. Transcribed it to D and then found Microsoft bollixed my logitec C516 Cam up. Apparently Microsoft broke the Launcher_Main.exe for this on Window 7,8 and 10. Does anybody have a fix?

Not me Tommy but I sure hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
For some reason I thought it just had to be in Dm - which is why I took this otherwise upbeat tune about young love and somehow turned it into a dark somewhat depressing song......

I did this one way back in Season 46 (hosted by Pa), but I've completely reworked the arrangement for the key of D from Bb. Also, last time I was recovering from the flu and my vocal chords were totally shot, so I think this really deserved a reprise.

I did this one way back in Season 46 (hosted by Pa), but I've completely reworked the arrangement for the key of D from Bb. Also, last time I was recovering from the flu and my vocal chords were totally shot, so I think this really deserved a reprise.

This is really special.
Some time ago I sent Doug a piece of Huon pine - a unique timber from Tasmania - and he made the sound board of this ukulele from it. And it sounds so fine (Doug could make any uke sound fine I'm sure).
So a piece of Huon pine from Tassie in a Doug Frink made uke in California!
Great stuff! Thanks Doug!

Oh, the Silly Dave beat me to it. I will plead guilty to doing a song which I have sung a lot, but not in this key.

LOL I nearly deepsixed this one. By the Time i got my webcam working the boys in the bunkhouse beat me to the punch. However since I been working on this for a week and it fits the rules and SOTU 242 I figured I would try it on the Baritone.

Boy Im sure glad I didn't do Don't Fence Me In as I planned :biglaugh:

It's kind of fun that the key of D has a theme song though. Hope you find time to Deliver something Linda.

I tried. I really did, but kids have their own agenda. We had a few minutes, and when I say a few minutes thats all the attention they would give me and it had to be their way or no way!

Played in D and a new title we have Do Bingo!

I tried to get them to listen to Don't Fence Me In thinking I could talk them into playing along but it was a failed attempt. They quickly saw trigger and we spent the next hour watching 2 episodes of the Lone Ranger.

Top Bottom