Season 241: Thank You and Goodnight! -- The Final Encore

Here's the last batch of comments. I'd hoped to finish them a few days earlier, but I've been tired for much of this last week. Now to see if I can still get a song finished before Alan's South Texas Season ends. I'll be back to choose the winners and tell them what shirts will be available as prizes for this Seasons.

IAmNoMan - I'm My Own Grandpa (Latham/Jaffe) - A classic. Well done job on this. Leave 'em laughing. Nowadays this song always makes me think of the Futurama episode.

Barbablanca - A Few More Songs (James Donal Faulkner) - That's a fine song, and this performance would make for a great encore. The harmonizer makes you sound like Fairport Convention. I was surprised that your final encore wasn't one of your own songs, but I can see why you'd play this one.

Barbablanca - Those Were Our Lives (original) - Good job, Berni. Don't change a mote. The first verse has a reggae-ish rhythm. After the first chorus, the other verses have a more driving beat. I'm glad this Season was able to inspire you to write this song. I wish I was that good at inspiring myself to sit down and write something.

Rustyy - What's the Matter with the Mill (Memphis Minnie) - This is an inspired choice, Rusty. I never heard this song before, but I'm liking it a lot. After watching you play it, I listened to the Memphis Minnie and Tuba Skinny versions, too. I've really liked the Flukes I've had, I hope the Firefly is as much fun.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters - The Street Parade (The Clash) - Great job on this, Ralf. I've listened to it at least three times now. I guess maybe I never listened to the entire Sandinista album, because I sure don't recognize this song.

Lumpy Wafflesquirt - Show Me the Way to Go Home (Campbell/Connolly) - Good choice for a closing song. Nice work with the kazoo there, too. You gave me a little bit of vertigo when Rotate-o-Vision sped up, but otherwise an entertaining video.

PlastikUke - Gute Nacht Freunde (Reinhard Mey) - Very nice fingerpicking. It sounds as though you've been doing it for years. I wasn't familiar with the song, but I found an English translation of the lyrics: http://lyricstranslate.com/en/gute-nacht-freunde-good-night-mi-friends.html

Demimondaine - Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go to the Party (Courtney Barnett) - I haven't heard this song before, but I like it. Do you play History Eraser? A few months ago, my wife was downtown and heard a song playing. She liked it so much she jotted down some lyrics so she could look it up when she got home. It turned out to be a Courtney Barnett cover of a Grateful Dead song. By the way, how do you get your camera to shimmy back and forth every couple of seconds? I thought I was imagining it when I saw it on the Shut Up and Dance video, but it's really obvious here when I look at the door behind you.

manfrog - The Mariner's Revenge Song (The Decemberists) - That was fantastic, John! Thanks for sharing it with us, even if I can't hear the uke. Great to see the family in the band with you. Did Steve Shelton go to Boston University? I knew a guitar player named Steve Shelton when I was there.

I spent days rushing around preparing for our annual holiday, and wondering what to do if I could fit an entry in before we left home! I never made it. Sorry, I hope you had a great week!

I used Random.org to select three winners for Season 241. And everything is coming up Europe this Season. The three winners are:

kolibri

xommen

Barbablanca

The ukulele gods really wanted Wim to win. Random.org chose his number three times in a row.

The prizes for this Season are t-shirts. In fact, the prizes for this Season are t-shirts designed by Seasonistas. I was looking at a cool uke shirt on RedBubble, and it turned out to be designed by manfrog. There are also several Seasons of the Ukulele themed shirts available on Zazzle. I will send the winners a PM.

My big thanks to all of you who took part in Season 241. You all constantly astound me with how good you are. I'm sorry that I can't find more time to watch videos in the weeks I'm not hosting, because I know I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff.

I was thinking I've "won" in a lot of seasons lately, maybe it's a sign I should really stop doing seasons now ;).
But anyway concrats to the other winners, and thanks to Random.org, and Jim.

Last edited:
Wow, what a surprise, Random.org chose my lucky number. :) Thank you Jim for hosting, your fine comments and prizes. And thank you all Seasonistas for the great season 241!

Top Bottom