Season 241: Thank You and Goodnight! -- The Final Encore

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 241: Thank You and Goodnight! — The Final Encore

"Good evening, Ukulele Underground! Are you ready to uke?"

You got the gig! You're the headliner! And all show long, you've had the crowd eating out of your hand. You've stirred them to dizzying heights and hit them in the feels with tender ballads. Everything you've done has worked.

But this is it. The final encore, the last song before you send them back out the door and into their lives. What song do you play? A rave-up, to get them on their feet dancing? A wrenching ballad? A rousing anthem? Your favorite original? A long jamming solo? Do you bring up the lights for a sing-along? Play your personal signature song? What?

Play me your last encore!

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
• The video must say that it is for the 241st Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in seeing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Original songs are always welcome.
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 240 still has a day to go, so keep on mashing up.)
• The contest ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, October 2.
NO MORE THAN TWO VIDEOS! Your tickets sold so well that a second show was added, so you can have two final encores.
• Winners will be chosen randomly. I will probably give three t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST

So come on! The crowd is waiting!

lighter_at_concert.jpg

Oh, I got the song. Now if I can just convince Alan T. to do it with me . . . . .

Write out the set list you would play for a gig. What would be your closing song?

I'm not looking for songs with a goodbye or good night theme. I'm looking for the song that you would want folks to be humming as they leave after a concert by you.

I came out of retirement for this??? Olney had said house concerts were OK
you could make a buck from them, but I discovered there was no fee just a
whip around of the hat, and when I saw the amount that was in there I knew
it was never going to cover my expenses. They had expected all the old Scottish
folk songs done acoustic, but somehow that blind librarian with her HMV guide
dog was pissing me off... she could not keep time with that white cane of hers.
Threw me off my stroke. She could not keep the beat. They did not ask for an encore
but I decided to do one anyway and to rub their folky noses in it,I decided to leave
them with a cacophony of experimental electronic angst. If you can't leave them happy
then at least you can leave them considering their own mortality so I gave them
Carson Mc Cullers.

Great idea for a theme.

Interesting theme. :)

I'm not looking for songs with a goodbye or good night theme. I'm looking for the song that you would want folks to be humming as they leave after a concert by you.
So, no goodbye/goodnight songs at all? Or are we just encouraged to think of something else, but goodnight/goodbye would be ok too?

Played a couple of originals with my brother in front of a moderate (in numbers) group of religious folk the other day. They said they liked them.This one was written for (jazzbanjo)Rex.

I have played there before and was asked back so that's as close to an encore as I am likely to get.

Last edited:
I assume goodnight songs are OK, it just doesn't have to be one so I'm going with a goodnight song for my first.

In my experience, at least with folkies the last song in the set is often a lively one for the audience to join in and the encore is often a more contemplative song. That's what I've done with the first one. In fact, this is so well known that the audience would join in anyway.

This song is generally thought to be Irish but, its origins are actually in Scotland and it dates back to at least the 18th century.

Here's my second and last for the week. The other paoriginal Ivan and I sang the other day and I know the church folk enjoyed it because they were swaying in their pews and clapping in time at one point.
It was written for Jon's 2 chord song season.

Last edited:
This has become our encore, it was covered by U2, which is why we can play this great song with the band. Add some great drums and a great solo by my mates in your mind and you will get why we like this song so much. Our version has become rather different from both U2's and Patti's.
Here is Dancing Barefoot by Patti Smith.

Last edited:

So, no goodbye/goodnight songs at all? Or are we just encouraged to think of something else, but goodnight/goodbye would be ok too?

A goodbye/goodnight song would be okay if that is the song you would play as the last encore of your concert.

My end of gig number is a goodnight song! Nearlg always finish with it.

Scatter my ashes in the meadow
Scatter them in the woods
Scatter my ashes all over the place
Scatter them real good
Did you ever see somebody's ashes
They probably weigh a pound
No need to leave them in just one place
You can scatter them all around

Scatter me around 'round 'round 'round
Scatter me around 'round 'round
Scatter me around 'round 'round 'round
Scatter me around 'round 'round

Take me to my home town
Leave me here where I live now
Take me to the place where my family rests
Take me to the places you love best
Scatter me on the water
Scatter me in the wind
Just remember
We're gonna be together again

Repeat chourus

Luckily, I was in Atlanta this weekend, home to the one, the only, Alan Thornton. And we managed to find a classic closer. Bruce Springsteen has been using this one to close his shows for decades, and I believe this number served that purpose for some shows by the Beatles. In any event, tons of fun to do with my pal, and probably my favorite still from any video I have been in. Hope you all enjoy it

Luckily, I was in Atlanta this weekend, home to the one, the only, Alan Thornton. And we managed to find a classic closer. Bruce Springsteen has been using this one to close his shows for decades, and I believe this number served that purpose for some shows by the Beatles. In any event, tons of fun to do with my pal, and probably my favorite still from any video I have been in. Hope you all enjoy it

Nice. Fun. Killed it!!

I've already played the two final songs in my set as SOTU selections, but a singalong is always a good way to leave your audience!

Back in 1978 I saw Little Feat on two ends of their breakout tour (the "Waiting for Columbus" LP was released as the tour opened). I saw them at a small gym on the tiny campus of Elon College in May with John Hall of Orleans opening. Maybe 1,000 folks there, tops. Hall closed his great set with this Beatles number. I saw the tail end of the LF tour in August in Chapel Hill, where they played before 10,000+ at Carmichael Auditorium, the UNC-Chapel Hill basketball arena. Both shows were mighty fine. So here's my encore number.

Top Bottom