Which Baritone?

PTOEguy

Reaction score
I'm primarily a concert player, but I've been getting more involved in a couple of kids groups and I'm wondering about adding a baritone to increase the range of tones available in the uke club and kids praise groups.

I have a Pono MB baritone, but it has a nasty buzz (not a fret buzz - appears to be coming from the headstock, but tightening the tuners hasn't helped), and I'm thinking I'd like a baritone with a pickup. Here's what I'm looking at:

- get Pono fixed and add a pickup - costs $??
- Clearwater roundback baritone - $180 shipped
- Kala Baritone KA-BE Laminate Mahogany from Mim $207

Are there other options I should be looking at? I don't want to break the bank - this will be used by kids and if it gets dropped and stepped on I'd like to be able to replace it, so $200 is about as high I want to go.

I think it would be worth to get that Pono Baritone fixed. Is it something that might even be covered by warranty?

I'd get the Pono fixed. It's likely to be the least expensive option (taking it to a guitar repair place), and of your choices I'm certain that it'll also have the best sound. A Kala baritone that I liked is the model with the solid cedar top, but I think it's outside of the price range you mentioned. On the other hand, the Clearwater with the plastic back would be very child friendly, as would be the laminate (though less so) with the added benefit of Mim's setup work. But for tone, I think fixing the Pono is the best option, and you already have it.

I've read somewhere on here that a buzz from the nut area can be fixed with different strings or even with a piece of paper under the string in the nut. Might be worth trying.
Otherwise, as 'kids' are going to be using it, I'd get the Kala KA-BE. :)

I've read somewhere on here that a buzz from the nut area can be fixed with different strings or even with a piece of paper under the string in the nut. Might be worth trying.
Otherwise, as 'kids' are going to be using it, I'd get the Kala KA-BE. :)

Ive tried different strings and a piece of paper under the worst string. I'm wondering if it might be something with the end of the truss rod? I've also considered replacing the tuners.

One more "Fix the Pono"

Top Bottom