NUD - A visit to see Mim! Ohana SK-70WG

Chopped Liver

Reaction score
UPDATE: NUD - A visit to see Mim! Mango Pono

Update to this in post 14 below: I went to see Mim today!! She is only 1 and a half hours away (IF I don't miss my turn :p )!

Mim. What can I say? She's sweet and lovely and fun and energetic and gentle and generous and so much more rolled into one! She was very patient with my decision making and kept telling me to take my time. She helped me by listening to what I wanted.

She set up the ukulele while I waited. I will definitely get my next ukulele from her!

Oh, yeah! The ukulele! :p I got a soprano Ohana solid spruce top with willow laminate back and sides. Almost got a solid mahogany but this one just sounded right to me. It has a nice, robust sound but also sounds full and has a warmth to it. I think the sound makes it versatile - good for strumming, finger picking, blues . . .

It's a real beauty, too! Certain ways you look at the grain on the back, it looks like the wood is actually curvy and not flat. I keep expecting it to feel ripply, but it doesn't. The finish is so smooth it looks like the ukulele is covered in glass!

Also got a good case for it!

I highly recommend getting a ukulele from Mim!
View attachment 94592View attachment 94593View attachment 94594

Last edited:
Congratulations, it certainly is beautiful. The back is stunning with all those wavy grain lines. How fantastic that you could go to Mims and play the different models until one spoke to you. Sounds like you will be enjoying this one for a very long time.

Thanks! Yes, it is going to be a keeper for sure! It has such a nice sound. I love it!

I'm a wee bit too far from Mim sadly :p I got the Ohana willow recently but with the cedar top, and I absolutely love it - sometimes I just pick it up and stare at the back lol

congrats

Congrats on the new baby uke!

Looks wonderful and glad that you are happy with it, and that Mim took care of you. :)

One day I plan to drive down from NJ to see Mim and then maybe the next day go also to Uke Republic in Atlanta to see Mike McQueen...but that is far off into the future for me right now...and of course will likely feed my UAS at each location :music: but for me a trip like this is more about the peeps and their services to the community than the instrument itself...

Thanks for sharing your story and review of your new Ohana. :)

Maybe you can bless us with a sound sample or video? (hint...hint)

Congrats! Really great figuring in that willow!

Great choice! I love the sound of those spruce topped Ohanas. I'm glad you had such a fun time shopping for it at Mim's shop. She's awesome.

I'm a wee bit too far from Mim sadly :p I got the Ohana willow recently but with the cedar top, and I absolutely love it - sometimes I just pick it up and stare at the back lol

congrats

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of staring, too! :cool:

Congrats on the new baby uke!

Looks wonderful and glad that you are happy with it, and that Mim took care of you. :)

One day I plan to drive down from NJ to see Mim and then maybe the next day go also to Uke Republic in Atlanta to see Mike McQueen...but that is far off into the future for me right now...and of course will likely feed my UAS at each location :music: but for me a trip like this is more about the peeps and their services to the community than the instrument itself...

Thanks for sharing your story and review of your new Ohana. :)

Maybe you can bless us with a sound sample or video? (hint...hint)

Sound sample . . . hm . . . maybe, but don't hold your breath! :p

Congratulations! That wood grain is mesmerizing!

I just checked the map and Mim's is about a 5 hour drive for me. But sure sounds like it would be a fun weekend excursion. Thanks for the idea!

Mim is just the best, isn't she? I have yet to visit her shop, as I would need to board a plane to do so, but that hasn't stopped me from buying an ukulele or two from her, even though I live in Hawaii.

Enjoy your beautiful new Ohana!

Ok, so I no longer have this uke. The spruce sound board was so loud and crisp! I have a hearing impairment which causes a sensitivity to certain types of sounds. It was causing ear pain. I discussed this with my audiologist and he said the loudness and crispness was great in an instrument, but it is not a positive thing for me. He suggested I return it for something more mellow.

So, I went back to Mim's and traded it for a beautiful soprano mango Pono. Lovely uke that has a more mellow sound. I love my Pono!

Nice that you are close enough to go and deal directly with Mim. And I am glad you were able to do an exchange. That scores big points for Mim in my book.

For some one new to the instrument, I bought too many ukes too fast looking for the perfect one. It is impossible to give them all the attention they deserve. One thing that is certain though; every time I pick up one of my Pono's, I wonder why I waited so long to do so! Hope you enjoy yours!

Last edited:
It's too bad you weren't able to keep the willow Ohana. I have the concert version (also bought from Mim!), and it is a sweet one. Mim really does take care of her customers, though, so all's well that ends well.

Yep, it was a beauty and had a really nice and clear sound. I was really drawn to it. Was disappointed when I had problems with it because of my hearing impairment.

It's too bad you weren't able to keep the willow Ohana. I have the concert version (also bought from Mim!), and it is a sweet one. Mim really does take care of her customers, though, so all's well that ends well.

Ooo! You're in Raleigh! Did you drive up to see Mim or order online?

Mim is terrific. I met her a couple of years ago at NAMM in Anaheim.

Top Bottom