KALA KA SMHCE C concert electro acoustic PICKUP PROBLEM?

Mags3662

Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchase a Kala KA SMHCE C concert electro acoustic ukulele. Sounds amazing unplugged. However, I plugged it into my small acoustic 12 watt amp and it sounds really buzzy. Thought it might be the amp so plugged in my Taylor electro acoustic and it was fine. I purchased online so could not test first (but can send back). Is pickup not quality? Is pickup faulty? Pickup is a Shadow active pickup. Id be disappointed if it was a poor quality pickup as uke was £260 (about $340). Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you tried a new battery? Active pickups need power, and a fresh battery is going to eliminate one possible cause.

Hi, I've just looked at your suggestion and replaced the battery. Unfortunately that's not solved the problem. Hmmmm

Assumption - By "buzzy" I think you are saying there is distortion. If so, then next on my list is to check all physical connections in the signal chain. There may ve a plug in connection from the under-saddle pickup to the pre-amp, then another from the pre-amp to the output jack. I would unplug and re-plug all connectors. I would also make sure the battery connector is clean and making a good connection to the battery terminals.

If my assumption is wrong, and "buzzy" is not electronic distortion but instead a mechanical buzz, then I would check for loose parts inside that the pickup is "hearing" that cannot be heard in the unplugged sound. I'd also check for silly things like a long-ish string end beyond the bridge (tie bridge?) that is perhaps rattling about quietly enough but close to the pickup.

I hope that helps.

Thanks. Yes it seems to be distortion. I'll go through your pointers tomorrow and see how it goes.Don't want to fiddle about too much with pick up as it may invalidate the guarantee. Will let you know how things go. Thanks again for your help.

Had the same problem with my tenor model. Seems the internal pickup wire came loose. Kala sent me a new adhesive pad to secure it. Problem solved. I doubt Using different adhesive pad would invalidate the warranty. Next, I'm wondering if it's your eq settings. I always set the amp flat, fine tune the eq, then take it the rest of the way with the amp controls. Some of those uke eq's are sensitive as hell. If that's not it, I have to wonder if the saddle is seated firmly and is level. Next step would be carefully checking the setup.

Last edited:
I have a Kala Tenor, no problems with the shadow pick up at all. I suggest you just return it to the seller and don't waste your time messing about. Under the british distance selling regulations you have a right to return it and when your money is returned you can order a new uke. You paid a fair price and it should work perfectly.

Phil's advice is probably spot on. I had made an assumption about the uke and seller which is probably invalid.

Like others have said, it could be loose wires inside that are getting a vibration.

Most wires on piezo pickups are 'microphonic' in that they will transfer ANY mechanical vibrations in the WIRE itself into the preamp and you will hear it

Make sure all the wires are tacked down. 3M foam Mounting Squares also work well for this and are cheap.

Top Bottom