Season 242 - South Texas Musicians

I was going to do "Old Ben Lucas" by Kinky Friedman, but it turns out he lives in Kerrville, which is a little north of San Antonio. So this is a Monkees song that Mike Nesmith sang (but didn't write) that name drops San Antonio. I didn't do this one during Monkees week because the lyrics had me confused -- the verses complain that he leaves her to catch the train, but the chorus complains that he stays with her when he should be catching the train. Now I figure that at the time, he felt he needed to leave the girl and catch the train, but once he did it he realized that was the wrong choice.

One of the weirdest bands ever got together at Trinity University in San Antonio. It took founding members Gibby Haynes and (San Antonion native) Paul Leary a few shows to settle on their band name---the Butthole Surfers. After over a decade of psychedelic hard-core freak punk rock, they had one hit on alternative rock radio in the 90s. Here you go.

Thanks a lot for hosting, this was a cool theme!
We wished we could join the Season more often :D

Hi - Awesome as always, thanks for the hosting this interesting theme. I learned about music and geography at the same time. :)

Ciao

Thanks, Alan, fun season, definitely gave me a chance to step outside my usual comfort zone.

Terrific Season, Alan! It was fun, and it made me do some research and learn stuff! Bonus!

Hi Alan, just a line to say I was away from home out of the country all week and could not participate. Did nothing but read - and play my uke a bit! I hope you enjoyed your week!

Hi Alan, just a line to say I was away from home out of the country all week and could not participate. Did nothing but read - and play my uke a bit! I hope you enjoyed your week!

Thanks! Yes, I noticed your travelogue on FB. It looked like you had a great time.

Looks like this was missed...and normally I would not care ,
But this is my favorite. I have A library that is huge.
But this one. I love this song like no other -and really...I know I play the s** out of it.
Please at least put it on the playlist because it is special to me.
https://youtu.be/cjZWBx0qns0

Last edited:
Top Bottom