Brand new Opio, 3rd string is where music goes to die

Ziret

Reaction score
I just got an Opio. Thought it was my dream uke, but the third string has just about no sustain when fretted above the second fret. I tried tuning up to d and it just moves the deadness to the first fret. I tuned down to A and it moves it to the fourth fret (as I recall). This is not just one fret, either, it finally picks up some resonance at about 7th or 8th fret, but not a lot. To have dead notes in first position not great. I am going to call HMS and see what they say, but wondering if anyone has wisdom to share.

What strings do you have on the uke?
Is it a wound C?
Are you a new player?
Where do you live? (shipping could be a factor, ie. heat during travel)

I find it hard to believe that HMS would let a sour C get through their QA.

Could you do a video of you playing so we can see your fingering on the fret and hear the sound/or lack of?

Thanks,
Johnson

ps: sorry to hear this has happened to you. This would be two Opio in a week that have had issues.(If yours is really a QA issue and not a "new player" issue)*

* I am not blaming you. I would just like some more evidence before coming to conclusions about what is going on with this uke)

Johnson, it has the strings that were installed when I bought it, which are Low G, Worth (that's all it said, not what variety of Worth). They are clear. No wound strings.

I have been playing for 6 months. A lot, not just once in a while, though I realize that's not long at all. I have tried fretting all over the place and it doesn't change anything. I don't think it's my fretting. I have a Kala with the factory setup that sounds better on the 3rd string. My Gretsch sounds better, too and I bought it used and it may have never been set up either. I don't know if I can include a video, I've never done one of myself and don't quite know how.

I am surprised at HMS, myself. I thought that I would get an instrument that had been thoroughly checked.

I live in the State of Washington. We have had mild weather all of September, neither too hot nor too cold.

PS, I didn't think you were blaming me, those are valid questions.

Last edited:
I'd replace the strings and see if the same happens. Worth CT will be the closest, BT would be the brown alternative. I generally find that unwound C strings on tenors have a tendency to sound a bit dull, but not as bad as you describe. Unwound low-G strings, on the other hand, are always thuddy sounding, at least to my ears.

I'd change the string first. If that doesn't make a difference my bet would be poor contact between the bottom of the saddle and the bridge. I'd check this by removing the saddle and placing a thin solid wood shim under the offending string, tighten up the strings and see if the C rings. If this worked, I know I need to adjust the bridge, saddle, or both.

ps: sorry to hear this has happened to you. This would be two Opio in a week that have had issues.(If yours is really a QA issue and not a "new player" issue)*

* I am not blaming you. I would just like some more evidence before coming to conclusions about what is going on with this uke)

Yeah, 2 in a week - I was thinking about getting an Opio but also looking at Pono. This might help me decide . . .

I have owned two Pono and there were zero, ZERO flaws in either. That is what you expect from a new uke.*

*My Pono MTD was used and had some subtle marks in the gloss finish near the bridge from string changes/and one string breaking. But the fit and finish was flawless on both.

Thank you very much!

Is your Opio the Sapele wood version ? My Opio, Sapele, had same issue, third string. It came out of box with dead notes. It did open up but could never get rid of the d and d# dead notes. They would come and go. I tried 10+ different strings , trying all types of material and gauges - Flurocarbon, nylon and various Aquila. It developed other issues and went back. HMS are awsome and stand up folks. Talk to you dealer.

M3 it's acacia. Thanks for telling me this. Mine are d and d# too. I will talk with them. I wish they had caught it, but I'm sure they will make it OK. I called them and emailed them this Sunday morning, but I haven't heard back.

Last edited:
I doubt very much your strings have anything to do with this issue. So, changing strings will most likely not only take up unnecessary energy, but will become a source of great frustration and disappointment.

I have found that a week string #2 or 3 (or both) is not only common in ukueles, but almost a signature of their sound. The very best ukuleles have this weakness diminished to the point at which you usually won't notice it, but the cheapest instruments will have what you describe. (My experience has most often found #2 the worse)

I haven't yet had the opportunity to try an Opio, but the KoAloha concert (KCM 00) is one of the instruments I have found to have nearly eliminated the problem you're having. Although Opio has had mostly glowing reviews, it is not KoAloha's flagship and is not built under watchful eye of KoAloha. I don't think you'll find a solution with your particular instrument. A replacement is surely in order. Another Opio? Only you can guess. You are clearly too capable for the one you've got. What to do if another turns out to be the same?

Fortunately, your seller is the very best resource in the business. They will replace it. By all means, call them. But, in my opinion only, you'd best be prepared to buy an instrument better suited to your needs.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I called yesterday and am waiting to hear back. But your note sent me back to oh my, is this really what I want? and a waste of the entire day. Wish I was exaggerating. But I think I still like the Opio. I think it's odd that this one slipped through the quality control of both Opio and HMS. Maybe it's me? Maybe both of them need to up their game? I don't know.

As for me being "too capable" for the one I've got, I wish! I did enjoy the flattery for a moment, though, till I remembered you've never heard me play.

Teri

This is a terrible question, but I think it is fair: did you contact HMS first before posting on the board? I can't tell from the sequence of posts. I would want to see a person reach out to the company first (especially if they were one of the favored dealers) before posting to the universe.

I always want to give the vendor...particularly the major players here on UU the chance to respond first.

Just another thought...pulled out my Opio Tenor which I love, and you know what? The 3rd string doesn't carry the sustain of the other strings when fretted. It is most dead on the 3rd fret and then opens up a little on the 4th.

The same is true on the other 2 tenors I just pulled out to compare against. Maybe D#\Eb is a less sustained note than other notes on a tenor ukulele?

Comparing my tenor travel Kala, Lanikai UkeSB. The Opio has whatever (low G) strings the instrument came with...the other two have stock Aquila strings.

Even just tried my Outdoor Ukulele Tenor which has Martin 620s on it...the 3rd fret is noticeably less sustained than the frets above and below.

I think I am not going to worry about this any further and just go back to playing the Opio...but I have to do so quietly as the family is in bed!

"The same is true on the other 2 tenors I just pulled out to compare against. Maybe D#\Eb is a less sustained note than other notes on a tenor ukulele?"

Your test would seem to point that way. Perhaps there's some shared acoustic property common to the the tops or bracing or soundbox size or string dimension that suppresses the resonance certain frequencies.

That said, it can't be common to all tenors, because my cheapie Kaka tenor has loads of sustain all the way up the C string.

As I said in my previous post, this is perhaps the most common issue in ukuleles. The two posts above attest. The question is one of degree. Is the diminished nature of the inside string(s) unacceptable for your needs or for the cost of the instrument? Only you can know how bad the problem is. Only you know how much you can live with. Know that we all have this to some degree. You may be able to learn to live with it as Choirguy, Dan Gliebitz, and the rest of us have (most without even noticing). Then again you may not, due to the severity of the problem or to your personal needs. Know too that you are not being too picky. That's not it at all. Your needs are what they are. When I spoke of your capabilities, I meant mostly your discriminating ear. That's a good thing, (but a curse). I have a different curse. I needed better intonation from my ukuleles. Even the very best ones couldn't deliver. I learned to live with it and no longer "need" perfect intonation. I wish I could get better, but after some years, I'm fine with what I've got.

You might want to compare the week-string issue with that of other ukuleles. Maybe take it to a local store or ukulele club gathering and put it up against a Kala, Lanikai, or whatever they have. Or hand it to someone you know with some ukulele experience. See what that person thinks. Once you accept the nature of the instrument, you may decide the one you have isn't really a problem. But, if you find your Opio is worse in this respect than the cheaper ukes, or if your more expert friend says it's a problem, you can assume another Opio would be better. I'm sure you can expect your instrument to out-perform lesser models. Best to have perspective before passing final judgement.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I compared this to my Kala and my all-laminate Gretsch, and both of them have loads more sustain than the Opio. Then I took it to my uke group last night. Among two experienced players--and uke buyers--the opinion is mixed. One was so crazy about the playability that he said he probably wouldn't return it for any other fault. The other would return it. Neither of their more-expensive ukes have the problem. I was also going to swing past the local guitar store and see what the knowledgeable owner thinks.

One player at my group who has quite a few very nice K-brand ukes said he's only seen one other, I think it's his Mya Moe, that had the fret board dip slightly in the middle to compensate--for something or other. He was impressed, in a good way.

I've been waiting for the vendor to call back or respond to my email since Sunday. I really would like to know what they think. If every Opio they grab off the shelf has the same issue--and it kind of sounds like they may--that means I will have to decide how much this bothers me, just as you say, Steve. Honestly I am kind of afraid to return it and get a worse instrument! I kind of love it. Except those notes. I was hoping someone on here would say, Oh, all you have to do is (whatever) and I'd do that thing and it would be better and I wouldn't have to think about returning it.

I am so glad that being a few cents off in intonation doesn't really bother me. I think that would be torture. I bet there are a lot of musical performances that drive you mad.

I've really learned a lot, thank you so much. I'm just going to wait, see how I feel when they call, and I'll let you know what I decide.

Last edited:
If you can exchange it, do it. Wooden instruments have variations in tone, etc. between different instruments in the same model, and if you get something that doesn't please your ear now, it's unlikely to get better.

Now comes the painful confession. I bought a Pono MB once from HMS that never sounded good to me (or to others for that matter). It was my first uke that was more than an entry level model, and I didn't have enough confidence to send it back. I changed strings, waited in hopes that it would "open up", and doubted myself a lot (is my taste wrong because my flea sounds better?). My suspicion now is that I had a uke that didn't perform to a typical Pono MB standard. I have since sold it, but I wish I would have given HMS a chance to make my experience positive right after I bought it and realized it just didn't sound right. None of this is HMS or Pono's fault - I didn't have enough confidence to do what I should have done.

Hey Ziret - This thread was sent to me by a customer but I can’t find your email. I had Zach look to and he does emails full time ant this point and he couldn’t find it either. I will call the store when they open and see if they have unchecked messaged. My apologies. You can always call or text me at (808)781-9168 or email andrew@theukulelesite (sorry we are not seeing the previous one!?)

As far as the issue, since it’s a public discussion I’ll let you know here. I just tried a handful of Opio tenors to confirm and it’s that way on them. For almost all of our customers, they love the tone and it’s not an issue. On some level, you build either for volume or sustain. The D# area that is not sustaining is also more punchy so the resonant frequency or overall pitch of the body is causing that to come through stronger for a shorter duration. I know this because if I tune it differently the issue moves to the same frequencies. Tuning down reduces it, and a lighter gauge for that string will reduce it slightly. It happens on some level with pretty much every acoustic instrument but some are more noticeable (usually more projecting/ punchy ones).

You can play with different things inside the body or at the headstock but usually you’ll just move the resonant frequency. It usually ends up somewhere unless you make significant structure changes which will also change the overall tone that you enjoy. One of my personal ukes, an expensive custom built one, is super loud and punchy, but has a few frequencies that just don’t sustain. I love the sound and it doesn’t cause problems for me. I never notice it when just playing and enjoying it, only when checking the notes individually. Most players pick up an Opio and just love the tone and feel and never even hear a problem because it’s not affecting what they are doing. Lots of customers have bought and loved this instrument from us and it sounds just like yours. In fact I can only recall two other people noticing this since we’ve been selling them for the last few years (same thing on the sapele) and many people finding just what they were looking for. So it just depends on the player and generally people don’t have the same criteria. We QC them and set them up to play great but each brand has people that will love them and others that will have issues inherent to their design and sound. We want all our customers to be happy, and have no problem getting it back. If this is an issue for you then I understand and we’ll do whatever you want and work with you to make it a good experience. So just let us know what you’d like to do. I don't normally have time to check in here so please contact me directly. Mahalo.

Hey Ziret - This thread was sent to me by a customer but I can’t find your email. I had Zach look to and he does emails full time ant this point and he couldn’t find it either. I will call the store when they open and see if they have unchecked messaged. My apologies. You can always call or text me at (808)781-9168 or email andrew@theukulelesite (sorry we are not seeing the previous one!?)

As far as the issue, since it’s a public discussion I’ll let you know here. I just tried a handful of Opio tenors to confirm and it’s that way on them. For almost all of our customers, they love the tone and it’s not an issue. On some level, you build either for volume or sustain. The D# area that is not sustaining is also more punchy so the resonant frequency or overall pitch of the body is causing that to come through stronger for a shorter duration. I know this because if I tune it differently the issue moves to the same frequencies. Tuning down reduces it, and a lighter gauge for that string will reduce it slightly. It happens on some level with pretty much every acoustic instrument but some are more noticeable (usually more projecting/ punchy ones).

You can play with different things inside the body or at the headstock but usually you’ll just move the resonant frequency. It usually ends up somewhere unless you make significant structure changes which will also change the overall tone that you enjoy. One of my personal ukes, an expensive custom built one, is super loud and punchy, but has a few frequencies that just don’t sustain. I love the sound and it doesn’t cause problems for me. I never notice it when just playing and enjoying it, only when checking the notes individually. Most players pick up an Opio and just love the tone and feel and never even hear a problem because it’s not affecting what they are doing. Lots of customers have bought and loved this instrument from us and it sounds just like yours. In fact I can only recall two other people noticing this since we’ve been selling them for the last few years (same thing on the sapele) and many people finding just what they were looking for. So it just depends on the player and generally people don’t have the same criteria. We QC them and set them up to play great but each brand has people that will love them and others that will have issues inherent to their design and sound. We want all our customers to be happy, and have no problem getting it back. If this is an issue for you then I understand and we’ll do whatever you want and work with you to make it a good experience. So just let us know what you’d like to do. I don't normally have time to check in here so please contact me directly. Mahalo.

Andrew,
Thanks for the detailed and honest response. This should make anyone feel comfortable about dealing with HMS.

I love Andrew's response, and I also wonder if this is true of "regular" KoAloha tenors (or KoAlana for that matter) or if it just an Opio thing.

I'm not bothered by it...still love it and I'd take anyone's Opio that they no longer wanted (if they were giving it away :) )

Top Bottom